Author Topic: Sciatica, any other GH members suffering from it?  (Read 19435 times)

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
Sciatica, any other GH members suffering from it?
« on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 09:08:26 »
Hi all,

I was wondering if there where more Geekhack members suffering from Sciatica and if so what you do about it.
Share your stories, tips and tricks with other members and hopefully we can help each other :)

I myself have a sit-stand desk at work, that's really helpful.
Currently I'm testing a couple of chairs to see which one can relieve the pain, I haven't found one yet that does.

I do Iyengar Yoga and walk for 25 minutes (approx 2.5KM) each day at 3:30PM
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2015, 15:25:32 by Sc0tTy »
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Truly Ergonomic Keyboard 229
2x Kinesis Freestyle V3-VIP
2x Bamboo Pen & Touch (Mouse replacement)
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: Sciatica, any other GH members suffering from it?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 09:23:27 »
I use heat.  My doctor told me to do exercises, which do help, and to use hot/cold packs. I've found that the cold does nothing at all, but I can go from being unable to move, to freely moving with no pain if I just put a heat pad on my back for a while.

For the longest time I had no idea that it was sciatic nerve pain, since it tends to impact my legs more than my back most of the time. But once I figured it out it made it much easier to manage.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline HughJarss

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 09:32:05 »
I had an operation on my back, which got rid of most of my sciatica, but I'm guessing things are not that desperate for you, at least not yet.
I change posture every half hour, mixing standing, sitting, and lying down — and I have two different postures to lie down, a zero gravity recliner, and a bad. Also, I use two different chairs to sit, so I'm only using the same posture for one hour out of every five or six.

A chair that might be worth trying for you is one made by Carmichael. It's an office chair based on their drum thrones — I think they use the term "floating spine" to promote them. There is a gap through the centre of the chair, front to back, so the cheeks of your behind sit normally on the chair, but there's no pressure under your spine. For me, it's very helpful, as there's no pressure on the tailbone. Whether it will help with YOUR sciatica or not is anyone's guess — every back problem is different. But definitely worth a try, if you haven't tried one already.

Just don't do what I did, and go, "Wow, this is GREAT," and sit in the thing for four hours the first day you try it. The combination of muscles you use while sitting on this chair are quite different than any other chair, and later that night my poor back was cramping all over the place. Just take the time to get used to it, alternating with a different chair for awhile. Once you get used to it, it's a great chair.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 09:45:02 »
A chair that might be worth trying for you is one made by Carmichael. It's an office chair based on their drum thrones — I think they use the term "floating spine" to promote them. There is a gap through the centre of the chair, front to back, so the cheeks of your behind sit normally on the chair, but there's no pressure under your spine. For me, it's very helpful, as there's no pressure on the tailbone. Whether it will help with YOUR sciatica or not is anyone's guess — every back problem is different. But definitely worth a try, if you haven't tried one already.

http://carmichaelthrone.com/

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 10:17:11 »
I get it intermittently down either leg.  I use a Steelcase Leap chair (any quality office chair will be better than a cheap one) but everyone is built differently, so you'd want to try out a variety and see which works best for you.

How you sit and even how you walk can affect sciatic pain.
http://www.spine-health.com/blog/how-your-walking-posture-affects-your-sciatic-nerve

Finally, here are some Yoga poses that can help:

https://yogainternational.com/article/view/7-poses-to-soothe-sciatica
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2015, 10:21:23 by kittykatmax »
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 11:06:12 »
I do Iyengar Yoga once a week in class and once or twice 30 minutes at home.
I walk for 25 minutes (2.5KM+ each day at round 3:30PM) and if I don't forget I try to stand behind my desk for 2 hours.

I'm currently testing out a Malmstolen 7000 and when I first sat down in it it was like WOW this chair is great: http://malmstolen.com/products/classic/model-7000/
Now, depending on how I sit I either feel the numbness and irritation in my leg (feet on the floor) or pain in my lower back (feet on a footrest).
This is the usual feeling in any other chair.

The funny thing is when I sit in my Aeron I use a slouched position I have (hardly) any symptoms of my Sciatia, I do start to feel some other pains (upper back mostly) because of the bad/unsupported position.
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline skottr

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 14:52:22 »
I had some sciatic nerve pain from a torn disc. One way to help with it is stretching your piriformis. It's a tiny muscle in each glute that can pinch/constrict-around the nerve and cause issues.

I like to use a lacrosse ball like this video:
and stretches like these:
It can be really painful, but it works great to help ease the sciatic pain.

Hope this helps!

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 15:06:14 »
Yeah I do stretches for Piriformis too during my Yoga, though there a few new ones in that second video.
I'll try those next time :)

Maybe I need to start to do daily exercises, the only problem is time...
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2015, 15:08:24 by Sc0tTy »
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline skottr

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 22:32:25 »
I have to spend a couple hours each day stretching for my back injury pain/recovery, so I definitely understand the trouble of finding time. Give the lacrosse ball with leg crossed release technique a try several times a day for just a couple minutes or so at a time, and I think you'll notice an improvement. Just know it'll likely hurt really bad when first starting out -- I still want to shed a tear from the pain sometimes, but it works if you do it consistently (even just a few minutes each day).

If you have enough time for two things, do the lacrosse ball release and then the crossed-leg/knee-to-chest stretch afterward. Good luck with it all. If you have any questions about any of it, let me know!

Offline spartan7

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 18:32:26 »
I take Vitamin C when I get sciatic pain. The pain that would usually take 1week+ to go away usually goes away in 2-3 days and I'm usually up and walking fine in the 1st 24.

I take about 3k mg every 3 hrs.

anyone else tried Vitamin C?

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 15:55:56 »
I haven't tried Vitamin C, what would be the effects?

I've tried the Malmstolen 7000 and the chair is super comfortable. Sadly this chair, like other chairs I tried, made the Sciatica worse.
I guess my leg/back simply cannot take the pressure it takes from normal chairs.

So now I'm gonna try a saddle chair, those seem to look a lot better for the pressure in my leg.
I checked out both the HAG Capisco and the Malmstolen High 5 and those look promising, though I can hardly find reviews and specially not from people with Sciatica.

HAG Capisco:

http://www.haginc.com/products/hag-capisco/
(actually somebody recommended it in the first topic I posted here on GH :P)

Malmstolen High 5:

http://malmstolen.com/products/flexible/model-high5/

Anybody here have any thoughts?
Lack of arm rests are my main concern though. Normally I put my elbows on them so that I raise my arms while typing. But maybe thats not needed anymore just like standing.

Thinking of checking out the High 5 first as my ergo guy should be able to get a hold of that one easily.
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 09:42:26 »
I checked out both the HAG Capisco and the Malmstolen High 5 and those look promising, though I can hardly find reviews and specially not from people with Sciatica.
I don’t have any back trouble, but I’ve been using a Capisco chair for about 10 months, and I like it a lot. It can be used as either a high saddle-seat stool or as a regular low office chair, or in several other ways, and one size (the middle one?) has enough adjustability to accommodate both me (6'2") and my wife (5'3").

It might have been me recommending it in your other topic.

I have no idea where to go to find chair reviews from people with sciatica.

Lack of arm rests are my main concern though. Normally I put my elbows on them so that I raise my arms while typing. But maybe thats not needed anymore just like standing.
My recommendation is to bring your keyboard and mouse (or any work or UI device that you plan to use your hands on for a substantial amount of time) in close to your body, so that you can leave your upper arms hanging loosely at your sides instead of reaching forward or out to the side. That will reduce the load on your shoulder and back needed to hold your arms up.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2015, 09:44:21 by jacobolus »

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 10:52:59 »
I don�t have any back trouble, but I�ve been using a Capisco chair for about 10 months, and I like it a lot. It can be used as either a high saddle-seat stool or as a regular low office chair, or in several other ways, and one size (the middle one?) has enough adjustability to accommodate both me (6'2") and my wife (5'3").

It might have been me recommending it in your other topic.

I have no idea where to go to find chair reviews from people with sciatica.

My recommendation is to bring your keyboard and mouse (or any work or UI device that you plan to use your hands on for a substantial amount of time) in close to your body, so that you can leave your upper arms hanging loosely at your sides instead of reaching forward or out to the side. That will reduce the load on your shoulder and back needed to hold your arms up.

I've been looking for a while but have not been able to find a good or helpful review chair review for people with Sciatica.

Yeah I already do that, thats why I love my TECK. It allows my Wacom Bamboo to be close to the body so I don't overreach.

I have been thinking and I might go with the Capisco first as the High 5 has a normal back and probably won't force you to keep your back straight.
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline skottr

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 14:01:19 »
I really wanted to give one like this (
) a try, but couldn't foot the bill -- and it didn't raise the funding needed. Maybe you could make a DIY version.

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 16:23:15 »
I really wanted to give one like this (
) a try, but couldn't foot the bill -- and it didn't raise the funding needed. Maybe you could make a DIY version.

Hmm I don't think the pressure is on the shin's would be that nice. Your body doesn't have a lot of padding there and it looks like it will take a lot of load from your body weight.
Saddle chairs look better IMHO

1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline skottr

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 23:47:12 »
I wouldn't mind trying a saddle chair just to see. For me, though, it's more crucial to keep my hips open and not at a more closed-up angle that would be present in a normal or modified chair. Tight hip flexors cause pelvic imbalance, which can lead to a whole host of other issues (including sciatic nerve problems). That's the main reason I wanted to try that type of workstation seat/stool--mimic standing more without the continual stress of standing. Side note: I normally kneel on a padded mat when not standing while on the computer to avoid sitting, so the shin pressure wouldn't be much of a change for me.

However, as this whole thread and forum demonstrates, different things work better for each person. Thankfully, there are all sorts of things to try when it comes to ergonomics, work area layout, etc.

Best of luck with mitigating/removing the pain--mine has started to act up the past couple of days while my hips/back have been tighter than usual. Always fun. Ha
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2015, 23:50:44 by skottr »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 00:58:13 »
I thought I had sciatica, but after months of trial and error with doctors and symptoms from my right foot all the way up to my right shoulder, I finally found a neurologist that figured out what was wrong.

When I was 15 I badly dislocated and fractured my right elbow, leaving it permanently crooked. I then became a computer and video game addict and took a job in real estate after college. So basically I was sitting in a chair, hunched over to my right due to having to "short arm" everything. One day my lower back started hurting and next thing I knew it felt like stabbing pain inside my right side of my body with spiders crawling on my skin.

Turns out I strained and tore many muscle groups including, but not limited to, my abs, obliques, thoracis longissimus, piriformis (ass), illiopsoas, and more. If I'd just have sat differently or gotten up and exercised properly, I wouldn't have had to go through 5 years of pain, doc visits, pills, injections, etc.

I now use a standing desk primarily, but since I'm on the mend finally I can actually sit down for about 30 mins without pain.

To sum it up, I STRONGLY advise any and all of you NOT to sit for long periods of time in the same position while on the computer. Do some light stretching and/or exercise as a break as much as you can!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 16:25:13 »
Yeah sit-stand desk really helps :)
But always standing is probably not the best thing either, probably switching from standing to sitting every hour should be good.
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 16:51:23 »
I got a spinal chord surgery, more than ten years ago, derived to sciatic nerve pain a couple of years ago. The back pain work out hand book exercises help a lot, and vitamin B complex. But, you should be aware of some nerve tension may come along with B complex therapy, but works great.

Offline spartan7

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 01:06:21 »

Too much would give me the runs but many people dont know Vitamin C is a disinflationary and helps lower the pressure on the sciatic nerve and getting rid of the sciatic pain is worth it. I have done this twice and have been on my feet in 24-48 hrs.

Like the chair, looks awesome. You should post a review if you get it, I would like to read it.

wish you good health!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 07:07:04 »

I've tried the Malmstolen 7000 and the chair is super comfortable. Sadly this chair, like other chairs I tried, made the Sciatica worse.
I guess my leg/back simply cannot take the pressure it takes from normal chairs.

So now I'm gonna try a saddle chair, those seem to look a lot better for the pressure in my leg.

HAG Capisco:
Show Image

http://www.haginc.com/products/hag-capisco/
(actually somebody recommended it in the first topic I posted here on GH :p )

Malmstolen High 5:
Show Image

http://malmstolen.com/products/flexible/model-high5/

Anybody here have any thoughts?

Thinking of checking out the High 5 first as my ergo guy should be able to get a hold of that one easily.

The chair is interesting, and the C Vit. also, however in the amounts reported to be effective you should be careful if you have tendency to reflux or high acidity.

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 04:23:45 »
What I've been doing the last couple of days is sitting on my chair as if it where a saddle chair without a back so that I know how it will feel when I try one out

What I noticed is that my legs get tired after a while, probably because they're actively stabilizing my body.
My mid and upper back are also getting tired and sore from keeping it straight.

I assume this is because my body is just not used to this activity and will require some training before it can hold this position for a longer time.
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 04:32:06 »
Hm, maybe. Though it could also just be that your chair doesn’t provide enough support to easily sit like that. How long is a “while”? Do you get tired if you stand up for the same amount of time? What about if you walk slowly for that amount of time?

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 05:28:06 »
Hm, maybe. Though it could also just be that your chair doesn�t provide enough support to easily sit like that. How long is a �while�? Do you get tired if you stand up for the same amount of time? What about if you walk slowly for that amount of time?

I've sent you a PM, don't want to clutter the topic.
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 06:40:33 »
So I tried a bunch of saddle chairs in the showroom, including the Capisco.
I really liked the Capisco but the model they had couldn't get high enough so I would not be able to take it to the office right away. The middle bit is also a lot wider than I originally thought and was a bit uncomfertable.

I decided on the Salli Swing Fit:

I'll by trying this one out for the next two weeks.
The important note is that its going to take a while to get used to and specially the first couple of weeks the bum can start to ache because you're not used to sitting on it (I've been sitting on it for an hour now and already feeling it).
This chair is quite hard which is not nice short term but better in the long run.
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 18:44:02 »
My standing offer is still open:

If some individual, on my recommendation, buys Pain Free by Pete Egoscue
http://www.amazon.com/Pain-Free-Revolutionary-Stopping-Chronic/dp/0553379887

...reads the whole thing, and gives it an honest try for a couple of months
...and it doesn't work...
...I'll buy it from them, and "lend" it to someone else.  I've had good success with the Egoscue Method, and am now pain free.  I have had a number of people buy the book at my recommendation and to date have not been taken up on my "buyback" offer.  Click the link and at least read some of the reviews before dismissing it!
Jesus loves you.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 22:23:46 »
My standing offer is still open:

If some individual, on my recommendation, buys Pain Free by Pete Egoscue
http://www.amazon.com/Pain-Free-Revolutionary-Stopping-Chronic/dp/0553379887

...reads the whole thing, and gives it an honest try for a couple of months
...and it doesn't work...
...I'll buy it from them, and "lend" it to someone else.  I've had good success with the Egoscue Method, and am now pain free.  I have had a number of people buy the book at my recommendation and to date have not been taken up on my "buyback" offer.  Click the link and at least read some of the reviews before dismissing it!

Any possible method that can potentially be of help is a worthy reading, I found the one star reviews filled with reference to other alternative methods that may worth a try too. Thank you for reference.

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 23:59:32 »
You are welcome.  Pain sucks.  Good luck.
Jesus loves you.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 12:31:07 »
I hate to ask, but are any of you who are suffering from sciatica overweight?  Back in college I had gained some weight (roughly 25 pounds), and started to get sciatic nerve pain.  As I lost weight from proper diet and exercise (got a gym membership and lifted between 4 or 5 times a week), I began to eventually get rid of my pain entirely.  Another contributing factor was that I had tight hamstrings, mostly as a result of sitting for long periods of time.  Stretching helps tremendously with nerve impingement issues and is highly recommended, especially for those of you who are not physically active (computer hobbies do not promote physical activity, so I imagine for some this is the case).  The Egoscue methods suggested in the previous posts are nice light exercises/yoga style stretches that are great guidelines to follow as well.  Simply changing ergonomics wont get rid of these issues alone, but they can certainly alleviate the short term symptoms.

Standing desks are probably the best ergonomic solution, but I understand that this is impractical for some.  The prolonged leg bend in most chairs will promote inflexibility in your legs, so things like saddle chairs are only partially effective.  What they are doing is forcing you to strengthen your core over time, which is only one aspect of getting rid of sciatica.  Physical therapy-like exercises are a good recommended start point, since they are physically involved in getting rid of nerve impingement.  Stay active and good luck!

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 10:47:02 »
I actually lost 11kg the last couple of months (bit of a surprise actually) and currently weigh 81kg.
I'm 184cm so that weight so i'm probably a bit heavy for my size but not overweight.

I myself have short hamstrings too and have been stretching them with yoga exercises, the're already a bit longer but still nowhere near where they should be.

Now that I'm testing the Saddle chair my schedule is like this:
  • Saddle 45 minutes
  • Stand 45 minutes
  • Saddle 45 minutes
  • Sit 45 minutes
  • Saddle 45 minutes
  • Etc..
Though i try to make the standing period longer.

I've been using WorkRave (http://www.workrave.org/) for other RSI/CANS-like symptoms and now I also use it for my sit-stand schedule.
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 14:32:26 »
I actually lost 11kg the last couple of months (bit of a surprise actually) and currently weigh 81kg.
I'm 184cm so that weight so i'm probably a bit heavy for my size but not overweight.

I myself have short hamstrings too and have been stretching them with yoga exercises, the're already a bit longer but still nowhere near where they should be.

• Saddle 45 minutes
  • Stand 45 minutes
  • Saddle 45 minutes
  • Sit 45 minutes
  • Saddle 45 minutes
  • Etc..

I've been using WorkRave (http://www.workrave.org/) for other RSI/CANS-like symptoms and now I also use it for my sit-stand schedule.

Sc0tTy,

How are you finding the Salli saddle? I'm thinking of picking one up next week.

Is there much pressure on the back of your legs from the seat?

Thanks.

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 17:15:07 »

• Saddle 45 minutes
  • Stand 45 minutes
  • Saddle 45 minutes
  • Sit 45 minutes
  • Saddle 45 minutes
  • Etc..

Sc0tTy,

How are you finding the Salli saddle? I'm thinking of picking one up next week.

Is there much pressure on the back of your legs from the seat?

Thanks.

Was thinking of writing a piece after this weekend but I can tell you that when using the Salli and just standing I hardly feel my Sciatica.
The pressure on the back of the legs is not present while seated.
But I can tell you that when they told me my ass is gonna hurt... They weren't kidding!
Especially my left sitting bone took a beating, I guess due to the shorter left leg (possibly why I have Sciatica in that leg, I went to the hospital last week to measure and its over 1cm shorter) I put more pressure on that side because my balance is slightly to the left.
But now that pain is getting less and less worse, a.t.m. its just annoying. It still does not allow me to sit on it for 2 hours but I'm getting there. Im not sure if its the chair or my sciatica but i do feel a little pressure on the inside of my left leg and thigh and it feels a little numb.

After some Binging and Googling I did find a site with a ton of information you should check out:
http://www.backdesigns.com/Saddle-seats-and-sit-stands-C231.aspx

Currently I'm testing the Swing Fit but like the site I mention says, the two halves move so you have to readjust them. I sent Salli an email asking for the gap-width of the Swing (non-fit) and its about 3cm. I'm now using that distance on the fit to see if I enjoy it and if so I'll be getting that one.

After using the chair for a little while I wasn't sure this chair was usable for me but the pain is going away now and after reading all those articles on Backdesigns.com I'm convinced I will love this thing in time. My body is simply not used to this position and so it needs to adjust.

Hopefully thats some useful information for you, I'll be writing more about it in the future. But if you have any more questions let me know :)

1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 18:52:48 »
You wouldn't be the first person I heard of, whose legs were different lengths due solely to postural abnormality.  If you've got your hip rotated up on one side, it will make your leg appear shorter from the outside.  This is a) only diagnosable by carefully measuring x-rays (which I hope they did at the hospital) and b) possibly-curable with the Egoscue method.
Jesus loves you.

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 06:19:04 »

Was thinking of writing a piece after this weekend but I can tell you that when using the Salli and just standing I hardly feel my Sciatica.
The pressure on the back of the legs is not present while seated.
But I can tell you that when they told me my ass is gonna hurt... They weren't kidding!
Especially my left sitting bone took a beating, I guess due to the shorter left leg (possibly why I have Sciatica in that leg, I went to the hospital last week to measure and its over 1cm shorter) I put more pressure on that side because my balance is slightly to the left.
But now that pain is getting less and less worse, a.t.m. its just annoying. It still does not allow me to sit on it for 2 hours but I'm getting there. Im not sure if its the chair or my sciatica but i do feel a little pressure on the inside of my left leg and thigh and it feels a little numb.

After some Binging and Googling I did find a site with a ton of information you should check out:
http://www.backdesigns.com/Saddle-seats-and-sit-stands-C231.aspx

Currently I'm testing the Swing Fit but like the site I mention says, the two halves move so you have to readjust them. I sent Salli an email asking for the gap-width of the Swing (non-fit) and its about 3cm. I'm now using that distance on the fit to see if I enjoy it and if so I'll be getting that one.

After using the chair for a little while I wasn't sure this chair was usable for me but the pain is going away now and after reading all those articles on Backdesigns.com I'm convinced I will love this thing in time. My body is simply not used to this position and so it needs to adjust.

Hopefully thats some useful information for you, I'll be writing more about it in the future. But if you have any more questions let me know :)

Thanks for the info. I am looking to get the Swing so I hope you do write a review because there are very few (none?) online.

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 10:27:28 »
Yeah there is hardly any info about it on-line, I'll definitely be writing a review!

I had to return the test Salli SwingFit yesterday. So now I'm back to standing and sitting. I am gonna place an order for two Salli Swing's (one for home, one for the office). Once those arrive (might take awhile cuz of the colors I chose) and I've gotten used to it I'll start writing.

1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:14:50 »

So what was the deal with the adjustments? Does the swing fit keep moving and you have readjust it every time? Is the maximum width of the swing fit 3cm? I've seen a swing fit on ebay, but I read that the swing fit is for people under 5'6" (168cm) as it allows for a narrower seat width. I would a normal swing stool, but the swing fit on ebay is tempting if it isn't a hassle to use.

Thanks.

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 13:42:53 »
So what was the deal with the adjustments? Does the swing fit keep moving and you have readjust it every time? Is the maximum width of the swing fit 3cm? I've seen a swing fit on ebay, but I read that the swing fit is for people under 5'6" (168cm) as it allows for a narrower seat width. I would a normal swing stool, but the swing fit on ebay is tempting if it isn't a hassle to use.

Thanks.

Yeah so for me the halves kept moving closer to each other, probably because my legs/hips are not yet used to this much spreading. Not sure what the max is 4-5cm I think, you can email Salli if you want. I asked them how big the gap is on the non-Fit and got a response the next business day :) (its 3cm btw).

I'm not going for the Fit because I don't want to keep moving the halves and unless you are really small its just better to get the non-Fit and get used to the spread.
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 06:20:47 »
Just received the Salli's :)
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 09:44:34 »

Nice! I look forward to the review (although I know it might take a while as you'll need time to sit on them). I was told by my doctor last week that I have mild sciatica, so I'm even more interested in how these stools work out.

Offline Camineet

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 16:01:31 »
7 months and thousands of dollars later, a 60 dollar TENS by HealthMateForever purchased on Amazon all but cured me. 

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 09:29:15 »

Sc0tTy, it's been 4 months - how are the Salli saddle stools?