Author Topic: What is the most not mechanical but bumpy keyboard ?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline keentom

What is the most not mechanical but bumpy keyboard ?
« on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 03:42:41 »
Hi,

When i was younger i hade many keyboards but some of them had more bumpy key than the noawday mechanical blue or brown switch

They werent mechanical, or a least i dont think so.

So my question what are the more bumpy keyboard(switch) other than mechanical? i got many of them but im not hapy with them. i would to test a keyboard with rigid and bumpy membran, but where can i find one

Offline jamster

Re: What is the most not mechanical but bumpy keyboard ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 05:05:21 »
Look for an old buckling spring keyboard. IBM Model M is the standard one.

Won't be membrane though.

Offline keentom

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 06:48:26 »
they arent recent buckling spring keyboards ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 06:59:44 »
Unicomp still makes buckling spring (modern IBM Model M), they bought the rights to the patent and have kept it going ever since.
Also check out Alps, though you won't get new ones and you can expect to pay serious money for the better ones.

There is also some pretty tactile rubber domes such as Topre and older such as the NMB rubber dome with sliders (and more). If you can find the others you can get them cheap and often still working, problem is most either claim them to be mechanical and ask a premium (LOL) or they have no idea what it is and make it hard to identify so it takes some effort.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/Chyrosran22, he covers a lot of them (also a regular here).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline keentom

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 07:19:36 »
thanks
but do old kb have antighosting problem? (cant pres many keys at the same time)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 07:57:39 »
My favorite rubber dome keyboards are IBM 8923 and Dell Quietkey RT7D5JTW (the early ones made in Malaysia).

You won't find modern options such as backlighting in older keyboards. I don't keep up with N-key rollover, but I know that IBM Model Fs and Northgate Omnikeys have it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 20:27:14 »
thanks

Realforce have NRKO. Currently being produced, technically membrane keyboards but most people class them with "mechanical" for reasons of cost and quality.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 20:58:37 »
thanks
Anything old like this will have 2  key rollover.
You want something new.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 04:59:41 »
"Mechanical" means absolutely nothing and "anti-ghosting" has nothing to do with rollover.

What you're describing says you're looking for a dome with slider keyboard of some sort. Being membrane keyboards, these will almost by definition have rollover issues. An easily obtainable, classic design with heavy tactility is BTC dome with slider. Should be pretty easy and cheap to get too.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 23:01:33 »
The most "tactile" board I've ever typed on is actually an 86u with BKE Redux heavy domes. The tactile bump front-loads all the resistance -- you were either not pressing the key or bottomed out. Topre is a capacitive "switch" with a simple dome and slider mechanism -- sounds in-line with what you're describing.

I'll echo the sentiments of others though: why are you avoiding mechanical switches all together, when it just sounds like you don't like less-tactile switches? People call browns "scratchy reds" for a reason, and don't get me started on blues.

Are you against aftermarket switches? There are plenty of modern mechanical switches that put cherry browns to shame (in terms of their tactile bump)

Also it might help if you elaborate on what you mean by "bumpy".
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 September 2021, 23:05:25 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 10:20:36 »
Sounds like the OP either wants a Model M / F style keyboard, or a tactile rubber-dome.

If cost is an issue, he could go for a Niz keyboard, but their cost is going up too, and they aren't as tactile as Topre.

Maybe the best and easiest thing the OP could do, other than getting a Unicomp, is just get a 55 G Topre. Who in their right mind would say that isn't bumpy?