Author Topic: [IC] TENET 70% Keyboard Kit with OLED Screen | GB coming up on 06/20  (Read 108941 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
This is some next level **** right there...
Love it, but only thing that puts me off are those extra caps in arrows cluster. I would prefer some kind of masking caps to cover those.
I learnt to park my right hand fingers on top of arrow on TKL and having caps above left and right would freak me out :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline ClickClack.io

• Find us on clickclack.io
    • clickclack.io
Hi everyone,

Review units has been shipped and many of them have received them already. We will share stream date once we have them. In the meantime, you can also follow them to watch unboxing and learn about build stream time there.

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
Hi everyone,

In case you missed Alexotos stream of first TENET build, here is a playback: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1485870747

Offline Armaguard

Dang, this is great. Surprised with no split spacebar. Would have topped it off for me but nevertheless!

Offline eggu

✅70%
✅OLED
✅southpaw
✅smexy

Highly anticipating this one!

Offline Adelscott

I want red with brass, make it happen please.
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline CookieFlow

Definitely unique and interesting.

Personally not a fan of the 2 oval cutouts for the LED's on each side, I think it would look cleaner without them.
I would have also prefered a standard arrow cluster and the option to choose southpaw or standard at checkout.
I understand the gimmick is the symmetry and the ability to swap, but I feel most people have a preference and will not swap the layout around.
I am not sure that this gimmick is worth the trade-offs in design and complexity of the board for me.
I love the colors, the OLED and the back.

I think it could be a nice idea to offer a "fixed" edition along side the current version of the TENET, but with a fixed southpaw or standard FRLTKL layout.
I feel this should be fairly simple by keeping everything the same, except changing the top case with a fixed layout with a normal arrow cluster without the 2 keys next to the top arrow as some people seem to dislike this design part.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 May 2022, 20:12:09 by CookieFlow »

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
Hi everyone,

Upcoming build stream from MechMerlin, Sat May 21st 4:30PM EST @ https://www.twitch.tv/mechmerlin/schedule?seriesID=502182b0-df8c-4c02-a1ba-ecc82cba295e

Join our Discord, we usually send out notification in our discord first!

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io

Personally not a fan of the 2 oval cutouts for the LED's on each side, I think it would look cleaner without them.
I would have also prefered a standard arrow cluster and the option to choose southpaw or standard at checkout.
I understand the gimmick is the symmetry and the ability to swap, but I feel most people have a preference and will not swap the layout around.
I am not sure that this gimmick is worth the trade-offs in design and complexity of the board for me.

I think it could be a nice idea to offer a "fixed" edition along side the current version of the TENET, but with a fixed southpaw or standard FRLTKL layout.
I feel this should be fairly simple by keeping everything the same, except changing the top case with a fixed layout with a normal arrow cluster without the 2 keys next to the top arrow as some people seem to dislike this design part.

Thank you for your suggestion! But these can be huge change to the design and sort of moving away from designer's original thoughts. We may consider these in the future design!

Offline CookieFlow

Thank you for your suggestion! But these can be huge change to the design and sort of moving away from designer's original thoughts. We may consider these in the future design!

I understand that this goes away from the original idea of being to swap the layout around.

But it seems that some people (myself included) really don't like the arrow cluster with the 6 keys.

I am not a designer, but on paper it seems like it could be an easy fix.
Everything on the board remains the same, except a new top piece that has 2 blockers to create a normal 4 keys arrow cluster.

But I totally understand that this goes against the vision of the designer and what makes this board unique.

Offline jdenyc

Obinskit is a nice touch particularly with the PC side driver .. thoughts on opensourcing this or sharing the development here?

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
Clackbait's review will premier on May 22 at 11:00 AM, check it out:

Offline acerb

I understand that this goes away from the original idea of being to swap the layout around.

But it seems that some people (myself included) really don't like the arrow cluster with the 6 keys.

Everything on the board remains the same, except a new top piece that has 2 blockers to create a normal 4 keys arrow cluster.

But I totally understand that this goes against the vision of the designer and what makes this board unique.

Hi, you can always use some switch blocker. You can 3D print yours or even comission a badge for it. In both case it should make the design "clean" the way you'd like without preventing the users wanting to use those 2 extra keys (to pilot the screen from what I know). Something like that: https://pimpmykeyboard.com/switch-blocker-pack-of-10/

Offline CookieFlow

Hi, you can always use some switch blocker. You can 3D print yours or even comission a badge for it. In both case it should make the design "clean" the way you'd like without preventing the users wanting to use those 2 extra keys (to pilot the screen from what I know). Something like that: https://pimpmykeyboard.com/switch-blocker-pack-of-10/

I will look into this thanks.

However I wasn't trying to prevent users that want the current config. I just suggested to offer both top options.
In a similar way that some boards are offered in WK, WKL and HHKB configurations.

Also I didn't really think my idea would be taken into consideration as it goes against the core concept of the board.
It was just a suggestion since I have seen a few people saying they aren't a fan of the 6 keys arrow cluster.

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
I'm loving it

Offline Invezting

Sick board! Love the film.

Offline BarryBoy

Any possible way it will have PE Foam included at gb time?

Offline jdenyc

I will look into this thanks.

However I wasn't trying to prevent users that want the current config. I just suggested to offer both top options.
In a similar way that some boards are offered in WK, WKL and HHKB configurations.

Also I didn't really think my idea would be taken into consideration as it goes against the core concept of the board.
It was just a suggestion since I have seen a few people saying they aren't a fan of the 6 keys arrow cluster.

IIUC the 2 keys around the arrow cluster seem to be for manipulating the OLED pages by default - that's not too much of a bother IMHO - I guess you could do the same with a small rotary encoder, but that gets into the realm of complete redesign - may be better input for an r2.

OTOH, while I do understand the desire to promote obinskit and the additional functionality there, without a push towards OSS this is going to be extremely limiting in the future.  I'd love to see more designers embrace RPi and more functionality in an OLED in the future[1] .. but once again the better path here (IMHO) is typically around engaging the community with an OSS model, and I don't see this here.

---
[1] side note: it would seem trivial to me to include a full on PiZero or other SFF ARM based controller with storage and run a miniOS/Controller there for much more functionality rather than just simply trying to pull a monitor from a driver side agent

Offline CookieFlow

Is there any hope that the stiffness of the board will be addressed before the GB?

Offline BasedCoper

Is there any hope that the stiffness of the board will be addressed before the GB?

When the gasket doesn't gasket  :eek:

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io

Hi there,

Some confirmed changes to improve typing feel:
1. Thiner PORON gaskets will be available in addition to original thicker set.
2. In addition to silicone pad, PORON mid layer will be available.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 May 2022, 23:00:26 by ClickClack.io »

Offline CookieFlow

Hi there,

Some confirmed changes to improve typing feel:
1. Thiner PORON gaskets will be available in addition to original thicker set.
2. In addition to silicone pad, PORON mid layer will be available.

Thanks for the update

I did really warm up to the 6 key arrow cluster and starting to really appreciate it

The only small negative of the board was the stiffness from the reviews, so I'm glad to see this is being addressed

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

Interested after seeing Merlin's build. Looking good so far.

Offline less_blank

This board has some cool things going for it but seems like typing feel & sound were sacrificed in favor of the design elements. it definitely does not need that many gaskets and not taking spacebar into account with the mounting points is a mistake.

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
:3ildcat:
Shoobs:
Switch and Click:
Keybored:
BadSeed:

Offline Retrias

I have some question about the board layout
1. The hotswap pcb is always split right shift right ?
2. Can the solder pcb be southpawed just like the the hotswap pcb but still keeping the full right shift

Offline litaco

I have some question about the board layout
1. The hotswap pcb is always split right shift right ?
2. Can the solder pcb be southpawed just like the the hotswap pcb but still keeping the full right shift

From the layout by TS
1. Yes
2. Both solder and hotswap PCB can build in normal or southpaw. Solder PCB have option for full right shift.

Offline cekagekh

Is it true that the firmware does not support one-press layer toggle like the "TG" function in QMK, and additional layers can only be accessed while holding down the corresponding fn key? I asked because MechMerlin mentioned in his stream that with QMK he could press fn once and turn the bottom right corner of the 60% area into arrow keys, but he could not achieve that on the TENET 70.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Good weight design, need better design for rest of board
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io
Is it true that the firmware does not support one-press layer toggle like the "TG" function in QMK, and additional layers can only be accessed while holding down the corresponding fn key? I asked because MechMerlin mentioned in his stream that with QMK he could press fn once and turn the bottom right corner of the 60% area into arrow keys, but he could not achieve that on the TENET 70.

Tap is supported. This documentation may help you: https://service.hexcore.xyz/manual/obinskit/#23-layout-setting

Offline cekagekh

Tap is supported. This documentation may help you: https://service.hexcore.xyz/manual/obinskit/#23-layout-setting

I meant toggling to an fn layer, not extending modifiers. For example, I want to press fn1 once and release, and the keyboard stays at the fn1 layer. If I press any other key it sends the keycode on the fn1 layer (without having to hold down fn1 all the time). Press fn 1again and the keyboard switches back to the base layer. From what I understand from the documentation there's no way to do that. You have to hold down the fn1 key all the time in order to access the fn1 layer.

Offline ClickClack.io

• clickclack.io