Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4196983 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:07:36 »
Can hardly move my left wrist but I have a paper due tomorrow, project on Friday, etc.

Too much starcraft?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #402 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 13:50:11 »
This!?

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/24yq3k/the_rmechanicalkeyboards_guess_when_we_become_the/

Why would that bother you?  If a bunch of redditors want to see random ripster ass-kissing on their feeds then good for them.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #403 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 14:01:26 »
Two pimples close to my bottom lip. :-[
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #404 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 14:02:37 »
Two pimples close to my bottom lip. :-[

I feel your pain. Have one in the crease of my right nostril right now, hurts like a mother****er...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #405 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 14:03:46 »
that's the herp.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline iri

« Reply #407 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 14:38:57 »
well, i have over a hundred lipomas. have no ****ing idea on what to do with them.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #408 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 14:55:15 »
THE MACS ARE BOTHERING ME AGAIN. I-PADS REALLY PISS ME OFF. THEY NEED TO GET WINDOWS.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #409 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 14:59:34 »
lol, good to see you back MW! Go Internet Explorer 2!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #410 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 15:15:23 »

You're WRONG. Internet Explorer 6 is the way to go, not Internet Explorer 2. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #411 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 18:51:34 »

You're WRONG. Internet Explorer 6 is the way to go, not Internet Explorer 2. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

Good to have you back educating these filthy hobbits

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #412 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 20:57:14 »
Walking out of Chipotle when I saw some ******* had left their small dog in the car with no windows cracked, in 90 degree weather. Seriously, if your going to get a dog, have the decency to take care of it
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #413 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 21:09:30 »

See, that's exactly why I need you to give me these updates! I've been using Internet Explorer 2. I might have to upgrade to Internet Explorer 6 but I'll need to upgrade from Windows 3.1 which I really like because it runs all the latest games & applications.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #414 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 11:26:13 »
This makes absolutely no sense...

How can it be possible that I can download things from the internet at a rate of about 7mb/s, yet when I try to copy files between two computers on a LAN, the copy rate peaks at a whopping 2.5mb/s, and averages at about 700kb/s?
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #415 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:51:16 »

See, that's exactly why I need you to give me these updates! I've been using Internet Explorer 2. I might have to upgrade to Internet Explorer 6 but I'll need to upgrade from Windows 3.1 which I really like because it runs all the latest games & applications.

ON WINDOWS 3.1, YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE INTERNET EXPLORER 2 EITHER. THERE'S A 16-BIT VERSION OF MSIE5 OUT THERE, WHICH WORKS BETTER. BUT IF YOU UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 98, YOU CAN USE MSIE6, THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN INNOVATIVE INTERNET BROWSING TECHNOLOGY!
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 23:19:25 by hashbaz »

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #416 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:55:54 »
remember when we didn't have this all the time
a few days ago
that started a few months ago or something
it was still great
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:57:25 by paicrai »
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #417 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 22:33:04 »
motha****as be setting of fireworks

tryna sleep here

go away
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #418 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 22:44:37 »
I feel fat today.
Ate lunch. Felt fat.
Ate gellato Felt fat.
Went to buy dinner to-go. Got a free cookie. Ate that cookie. Felt fat.
God I feel so fat right now.

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #419 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 23:13:15 »
My favorite album is starting to sound annoying after listening to it too many times  :confused:
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 May 2014, 23:16:27 by rockhawksam »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #420 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 23:23:28 »
My favorite album is starting to sound annoying after listening to it too many times  :confused:

It's like that with all songs for me. =( Why can't they just remain freshhhhh...
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #421 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 23:55:11 »
cuz economics.

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #422 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 01:42:26 »
lil debbie is having a concert at la in june and you have to be 18 and up to attend. i'm not 18 and up

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #423 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 01:53:27 »
I want the layout of the hhkb but the 55g switches of the RF. I also don't like how the arrow keys on the hhkb are really weird and unusable in gaming. Is there a dipswitch that changes the arrow keys or a way to make it so the arrow keys are normal? Also, EK is out of stock of white/gray 55g RF 87 if I do end up buying the RF.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 01:57:11 by thesentinel »
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #424 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 02:18:32 »
I want the layout of the hhkb but the 55g switches of the RF. I also don't like how the arrow keys on the hhkb are really weird and unusable in gaming. Is there a dipswitch that changes the arrow keys or a way to make it so the arrow keys are normal? Also, EK is out of stock of white/gray 55g RF 87 if I do end up buying the RF.

What is "normal" arrow keys for a 60%? I have a AHK script that makes WASD your arrow keys. If you use the dip switch to swap ALT and META, and then FN and ALT, you'll get ALT+WASD for arrows.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #425 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 03:31:20 »

How can it be possible that I can download things from the internet at a rate of about 7mb/s, yet when I try to copy files between two computers on a LAN, the copy rate peaks at a whopping 2.5mb/s, and averages at about 700kb/s?

Try to use FTP for LAN transfers...
For some reason I get much higher transfer rates that way.

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #426 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 04:41:48 »
I thought I had a switch fixed... took 2 hours...

Still not working.

Sigh...

GE Marquette | Rosewill RK-9000 | Rosewill Apollo 9100 | Realforce 87U "EK Edition" 45g Uniform | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black Buckling Spring | Realforce 87U SE07T0 Variable | Dolch PAC65

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #427 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 15:19:32 »
Switched to Poker after using Topre forever and I keep hitting CAPS LOCK >.<

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #428 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 16:38:32 »
Switched to Poker after using Topre forever and I keep hitting CAPS LOCK >.<
hahaha  :p

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #429 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 17:25:59 »

What is "normal" arrow keys for a 60%? I have a AHK script that makes WASD your arrow keys. If you use the dip switch to swap ALT and META, and then FN and ALT, you'll get ALT+WASD for arrows.

Well, I enjoy playing a game called the binding of isaac and it uses both WASD and arrow keys. Arrow keys for shooting, wasd for movement. I't's really hard to game with the arrow keys that HHKB has. Hopefully The Binding Of Isaac Rebirth will allow me to change my keys around.
st's
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #430 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 14:48:23 »
I missed out on the DSA dolch offering.

GE Marquette | Rosewill RK-9000 | Rosewill Apollo 9100 | Realforce 87U "EK Edition" 45g Uniform | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black Buckling Spring | Realforce 87U SE07T0 Variable | Dolch PAC65

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #431 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 15:00:39 »

Try to use FTP for LAN transfers...
For some reason I get much higher transfer rates that way.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #433 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:01:40 »

They sold out already?

http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-dolch-set-base-set-110-total-keys

Yeah, I had them in my cart the other day but I held out.

Tried to order last night and it kept giving me an error. Emailed them and they confirmed the keys are OOS.

Oh wells, will wait for the next GB.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #434 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:39:52 »

They sold out already?

http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-dolch-set-base-set-110-total-keys

Yeah, I had them in my cart the other day but I held out.

Tried to order last night and it kept giving me an error. Emailed them and they confirmed the keys are OOS.

Oh wells, will wait for the next GB.

That saves me from the agonsing choice between DSA Dolch or food.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #435 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 08:02:20 »
Censorship!

Bethesda about the new Wolfenstein game:
"In order to prevent any digital copies of the international version from being sold, exported, imported or distributed into Germany, PC versions will be geo-locked so that they cannot be activated within Germany.”
Instead, Germany and Austria will be given a game where the symbols and some of its content has been altered."

Reminds me that Captain Picard quote...

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.
The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged."

The government of a "free" country shouldn't be allowed to force (especially by law) publishers to alter the content of a publication to meet their liking.
Then again, they also shouldn't be allowed to call it "freedom of speech and thought" if certain words or thoughts gets you in prison if it's not to their liking, eh?
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 May 2014, 08:06:16 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #436 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 10:53:14 »
for a community that's suppose to be built not on profiteering, sure a lot of freelancing "work" going on.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #437 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 10:57:40 »
for a community that's suppose to be built not on profiteering, sure a lot of freelancing "work" going on.

Be a man, call them out, who has done this?

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #438 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 11:51:05 »

Be a man, call them out, who has done this?

all the keyboard services in artisan section of the board.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #439 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 12:01:49 »

Providing a service or selling a product is not usually defined as profiteering.

An example of profiteering would be buying up a stock of limited release or rare keyboards for pennies and selling them for much more.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #440 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 12:15:07 »

Providing a service or selling a product is not usually defined as profiteering.

An example of profiteering would be buying up a stock of limited release or rare keyboards for pennies and selling them for much more.

im just saying all this talk about not in it for $$ or profits, opening up service shops i would think goes against GH's "community" thought no?
I just think having all these small "shops" pop up isn't to take advantage of the community??

Providing a service specifically targeting this hobby isn't to look to make some $$?

I'm not against these services, im just saying it seems a bit hypocritical if GH's suppose to be a community to help one another, to charge for service in modding like this.

You wanna throw a couple of bucks to someone for doing you a favor in modding?  Or give them some gift of appreciation thats fine.
But to have basically a service brochure outlining stating different rates and what not?  That's a business front.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #441 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 12:23:13 »
So you're upset that someone takes their time away from anything else they could be doing to offer it to the community, a community of members who are too lazy to do things on their own or who don't have to sufficient knowledge to do it on their own (even though all that knowledge is somewhere here anyway), to spend that time building these people's boards for free? Why? If you don't want to pay, then do it on your own. They have no debt to you to do anything for free. It is the fact that they offer their time for a small amount of compensation to this community that makes it for the community. Else people would have to figure everything out on their own, and let's be completely honest, not everyone can or will do that, myself included.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #442 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 12:27:12 »

im just saying all this talk about not in it for $$ or profits, opening up service shops i would think goes against GH's "community" thought no?
I just think having all these small "shops" pop up isn't to take advantage of the community??

Providing a service specifically targeting this hobby isn't to look to make some $$?

I'm not against these services, im just saying it seems a bit hypocritical if GH's suppose to be a community to help one another, to charge for service in modding like this.

You wanna throw a couple of bucks to someone for doing you a favor in modding?  Or give them some gift of appreciation thats fine.
But to have basically a service brochure outlining stating different rates and what not?  That's a business front.

I'm still not grasping your point.  I can purchase custom IBM keycaps from Unicomp, and dress up my Model M, or I can buy some hand-made caps from a forum member and do the same with a MX switch board. 

Honestly, I think it's a good thing so many people are offering products and services to the community, as it makes it a lot easier for someone new to the hobby to try a vintage keyboard.  Maybe they buy a PS2 adapter from the GH store, or have LEDs added to a keyboard by one of the forum members, instead of doing the work themselves. 

As a newbie to the forum, I appreciate that there are lots of resources available to me to help me learn more about how keyboards work, but if I get frustrated by some project that's going nowhere, I can pay someone to help me out.  And since this person is doing similar jobs for other people, I can get reviews of their work, and have some expectation that prices are consistent between different people providing the same sorts of services.

Profiteering, to address your original post, would be someone flogging their eBay finds in the Classifieds for way more than they bought them for.  Products and services within the keyboard community don't fit that label.

By the way, there are plenty of people who will do small jobs for trade, or whatever you feel the work is worth.  If you prefer that sort of transaction, nothing keeps you from supporting that business model.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #443 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 12:29:26 »
So you're upset that someone takes their time away from anything else they could be doing to offer it to the community, a community of members who are too lazy to do things on their own or who don't have to sufficient knowledge to do it on their own (even though all that knowledge is somewhere here anyway), to spend that time building these people's boards for free? Why? If you don't want to pay, then do it on your own. They have no debt to you to do anything for free. It is the fact that they offer their time for a small amount of compensation to this community that makes it for the community. Else people would have to figure everything out on their own, and let's be completely honest, not everyone can or will do that, myself included.

i couldn't care less about the people themselves.  I'm talking about GH's "stance" and how hypocritical it is if they don't want to be considered a commercialized forum or being known as a classified/deals forum.

I applaud these people willing to mod and help others.  Charge them $$, its a free market like i've always been stating.  I'm just bringing out the argument and how annoying it is that the GH stance is on some things but not others when it comes to selling goods and services.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #444 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 12:34:10 »
Oh. Bro, you're learning. There are a number of people on this site who are completely hypocritical. But I think you're missing the point. There is a difference between selling a $20 cap for $400 and putting a price on your time as a person.

You can't always make direct correlations between everything.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #445 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 13:23:49 »
Oh. Bro, you're learning. There are a number of people on this site who are completely hypocritical. But I think you're missing the point. There is a difference between selling a $20 cap for $400 and putting a price on your time as a person.

im more saying according to the site moderators' rules regarding classified and what not, they look down on profiteering or selling to make profit.
So if this is the case, everything should be around cost.  Obviously cost of labor is subjective, so we should go with the cost of materials + Minimum wage.
That would be the fairest way don't you think?? =)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #446 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 13:55:09 »
I don't think. But then again, I don't really care. If it is something you're set in changing, perhaps you should make something out of it. But then, I can almost assure you that you will have to pay more, because some of these things take more time than you think they might (stickering...) and the people who do these jobs are actually giving us a break because (surprise!) of their love for the community.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #447 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 14:43:29 »

im more saying according to the site moderators' rules regarding classified and what not, they look down on profiteering or selling to make profit.
So if this is the case, everything should be around cost.  Obviously cost of labor is subjective, so we should go with the cost of materials + Minimum wage.
That would be the fairest way don't you think?? =)

Let me just clear up some misconceptions you seem to have regarding the direction forum staff want to see for geekhack.org. First, I am NOT forum staff, so anything I say is my opinion, but I think I have some insight to the collective consciousness of forum staff.

Forum staff want geekhack.org to be community oriented, rather than a market for buying/selling/trading goods, with an emphasis on innovation and creativity. Discussion threads should be biased heavily toward community aspects, rather than commercial pursuits (let's say 80/20, hypothetically).

Forum staff want to discourage blatant profiteering from the resale of goods. That doesn't mean there can be no profit made here. Selling a Clack that was just recently purchased at $30 for $300 is not a reasonable by anyone's standards, and should be considered blatant profiteering. Even still, I doubt the moderators would intercede in this case, as long as the post in the Classifieds followed the forum rules.

Making things to be sold for a reasonable profit is even encouraged. People make cables, keycaps, custom keyboards, and offer their modding or assembly services all the time, while making a reasonable profit. These people are even given a special section of the marketplace subforum to display their wares or services.

The new Classifieds rules have more to do with protecting the buyer, by submitting proof that someone actually possesses the item for sale, than with discouraging profit. Forum staff can still take a hands-off, buyer beware policy, while at the same time at least providing for a minimum of proof from the seller that they aren't willfully trying to deceive potential buyers.

So you see...no conflict.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #448 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 14:47:32 »
The Mac users are bothering me again. They need to switch to Windows.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #449 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 19:05:02 »
Job hunting is hard. Writing separate cover letters is stupid :(