geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

KIRA keyboards

(1/70) > >>

thesiscamper:
Boards made/planned and current status:

KIRA : 96-key being developed by Input Club, kickstarter goal reached

KIRA EX : 96-key layout with spacing between arrow keys and numpad, 2nd prototype done, shelved.

KIRA EXS : KIRA EX with Slimmer bezels, prototypes finished, fulfillment

KIRA75: 75% keyboard, prototypes done and PCB prototypes currently being redesigned for qmk. Renamed to MiR75

KIRA60: group buy kits shipped out, v2 CAD done and sent to shop for quote

KIRA80 and KIRA S : GB cancelled, picked up by zFrontier

LXV : prototypes in production

Old Stuff

MoreKIRA EXS PHOTOS:

MoreHi guys, just wanted to share this personal project of mine that has kept me busy for weeks. So it all started when I did the first "KIRA" renders, a 96-key as some people might know. I liked the idea of a full size keyboard in a compact layout, so the 96 seemed like the perfect layout for me. I bough a b.mini EX X2 which is similar, and then a ZZ96 and I was happy, at first anyway. Then I realized that I had a hard time finding the arrow keys because there's no spacing between the alphas and arrow keys. That led me to trying out the 1800, which while great since it's kinda shorter, still takes up a lot of space. I am currently using a TX-1800 at home, it's a great keyboard but I still want to try what is basically a compact 1800 like the LZCP and the TXCP. Which led me to my first custom.

So here it is, the first prototype of what is basically a 96-key layout grouped into alphas, arrows and numpad. Big thanks to riotonthebay and Input Club's Brandon for all the advice and help they provided, It would've taken me too long to do this without their awesome help. I would also like to thank forevermadrigal, geckt, rainb1ood, gatix, krytone and livingspeedbump for being so supportive of my designs. I don't expect a lot of people to like it, but your enthusiasm with what I do already makes it worth it.  :thumb:

I call it the KIRA EX.

PHOTOS:

Old Photos

So, the next steps. I'm trying to find someone who can design the PCB for me. I've already talked to Leeku and a friend, and I just need to decide how to go about it. I only just checked the spacing with GMK 9009 and I'm happy to know that my CAD and measurements weren't an epic failure. I've already updated the design too, to reduce the gap of the bezel from the caps, reduce the top bezel width, and add some polish to the corners and edges. I've also designed a weight insert since the bottom of the first prototype was really bare (did it to reduce the cost in case it was a **** up).

Thanks for reading, and I'll be updating this as the project develops  :thumb:

Also, the title is "KIRA keyboards" because I have other layouts planned, and this GH60 case is probably next:

The KIRA60 FE

thesiscamper:
Things To Do as of 20170722:

* find a PCB guy
* acquire funds for second kit (lol)
* maybe search for some manufacturer options
Changes made [CAD changes for now]:

* reduced gap between bezel and caps
* reduced top bezel
* thicker inserts
* added some chamfers and fillets to some corners and edges
* designed a weight insert

BunnyLake:

--- Quote from: thesiscamper on Sat, 22 July 2017, 07:00:19 ---asdf

--- End quote ---

Looking forward to watching this progress

Looks great and thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thesiscamper:

--- Quote from: BunnyLake on Sat, 22 July 2017, 07:01:45 ---
--- Quote from: thesiscamper on Sat, 22 July 2017, 07:00:19 ---asdf

--- End quote ---

Looking forward to watching this progress

Looks great and thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

Thanks Bunny!

Also I forgot to mention, the inserts are supposed to be either metal or acrylic, but I just tried to screw them together. In the new design I have it thicker, but realized doing two-tone inserts might be great for accent. :D

simonyunhe:
Like the idea, but I perfer to have saparate F roll.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version