Author Topic: What does the 'Frosty Flake' controller for the QFR do?  (Read 5830 times)

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
What does the 'Frosty Flake' controller for the QFR do?
« on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:53:31 »
Title pretty much sums up the question. Is is just like the stock one, or does it add programming functionality or something? I was looking into getting a QFR and stumbled upon the Frosty Flake controller for the QFR, and if it actually does something cool I would definitely buy a QFR.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 October 2014, 19:28:53 by wes1099 »

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: What does the 'Frosty Flake' controller for the QFR do?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 19:50:05 »
it just adds programming functionality, yeah

if it does something else someone will correct me
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 21:08:58 »

There's also a reed switch that allows you to put it into bootloader mode with just a magnet.

It's a replacement controller so you can program it, add macros, layers, NKRO over usb, etc.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 14:10:30 »

There's also a reed switch that allows you to put it into bootloader mode with just a magnet.

It's a replacement controller so you can program it, add macros, layers, NKRO over usb, etc.
Sounds cool. How do you use one?

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 08:00:36 »
See the Deskthority wiki, i.e. STFW.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 11:53:45 »
A bit harsh, no?

Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 12:20:28 »
A bit harsh, no?
Oh, a white knight.

The first two search results for "frosty flake quickfire rapid" (in both Google and DDG) are links to the sale thread at DT (that includes several links to the DT wiki) and firmware thread here at GH (which directly lists the features).

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 14:02:11 »
A bit harsh, no?
Oh, a white knight.

The first two search results for "frosty flake quickfire rapid" (in both Google and DDG) are links to the sale thread at DT (that includes several links to the DT wiki) and firmware thread here at GH (which directly lists the features).
Lol, no dude. You're reaching here. I'm just suggesting there are better ways to suggest someone do something.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 14:04:08 »
Yes, there are. For example, OP could have simply put something like "frosty flake quickfire rapid" into his search engine of choice and spent about two minutes reading.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 14:06:53 »

Sounds cool. How do you use one?

Basically you open up your QFR remove the controller board, it pulls right out with no soldering etc then the frosty flake (assuming you get one that is assembled) drops right in its place.

Then you either modify the existing code yourself can be found in the frosty flake threads mentioned above or use this to program it http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0

Offline wes1099

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 14:13:42 »
Yes, there are. For example, OP could have simply put something like "frosty flake quickfire rapid" into his search engine of choice and spent about two minutes reading.
Well, I did google it before posting here, and I read the for sale thread on DT, but that didn't have anything about what it does or how to make it do stuff. The reason I didn't click on the 2nd result in google is because it was called "Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper" and I didn't think that would have anything to do with what I was looking for. No need to get so salty...

[May 20, 1987]

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 14:19:35 »
Well, I did google it before posting here, and I read the for sale thread on DT, but that didn't have anything about what it does or how to make it do stuff. The reason I didn't click on the 2nd result in google is because it was called "Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper" and I didn't think that would have anything to do with what I was looking for. No need to get so salty...
It's Friday... We should all be happy!

Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 14:25:15 »
It's Friday... We should all be happy!
IKR! No school or work tomorrow, and we get to sleep as we wish!

[May 20, 1987]

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 14:34:10 »
Let me quote the snippet from Google:
... Black Petal (custom controller for the Rosewill RK-9000) ***; Frosty Flake (v1/v2) (custom controller for the Quickfire Rapid) **; GH60 *; GH36 ...
Besides, there's "fully programmable" mentioned at least twice in the FS thread *before* your first post there, and you already got an explicit link to the wiki there *before* your question here that I quoted.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 14:48:40 »
Let me quote the snippet from Google:
... Black Petal (custom controller for the Rosewill RK-9000) ***; Frosty Flake (v1/v2) (custom controller for the Quickfire Rapid) **; GH60 *; GH36 ...
Besides, there's "fully programmable" mentioned at least twice in the FS thread *before* your first post there, and you already got an explicit link to the wiki there *before* your question here that I quoted.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 19:05:25 »
Necromancing here :)

Where can I buy this controller?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 19:25:35 »

From what I can tell the only place that might have it in stock is http://bathroomepiphanies.com/store/ ,and that's only through email and paypal,I have never used them myself though.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 02:10:23 »

bpiphany is the designer and a member here, for completeness sale thread or his website has been linked above.  If you know what you want send him a PM with your paypal :)

« Last Edit: Sat, 01 August 2020, 02:26:56 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 10:46:52 »

bpiphany is the designer and a member here, for completeness sale thread or his website has been linked above.  If you know what you want send him a PM with your paypal :)

Cool, thank you!  :D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::