Author Topic: [IC]KK Light Wave Switch V2+GB is Live  (Read 21290 times)

Offline paperassgasket

Re: [IC]KK Light Wave Switch V2+GB is Live
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 23:26:41 »
My switches just showed up in the mail and they are just built different let me tell you...

You just cannot get it to bottom out easily without a keycap on there as the top of the switch stops you before the feet do. The pole and the sliders of the stem will never bottom out.

It appears that the legs are designed to bottom out, and have these relief cuts to allow them to flex providing a softer bottom out feel.

These springs are LONG, but have a pretty smooth linear feel and aren't as heavy as I was expecting given the amount of pre-load on them.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 23:40:34 »
What about tolerances?  Can you tell that these are made with a new process?  Do they have low wobble?  Are the top housings tight?

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 23:45:57 »
I don't have the old ones so I can't compare but the housings are real tight. Wobble seems fine at the top bit would def be less pronounced north to south if the sliders were longer I believe.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 23:50:58 »
The relief cut on the legs is a pretty neat idea.  Might have to get some of these now  :thumb:

Any thoughts on smoothness?

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 23:53:34 »
First impression was that they were impossibly smooth but after really getting after it I realized that they're just really slick. There's a very light scratchiness to them but it's not bad. I'm in the process of disassembling 50ish switches to lube and toss in a board for testing

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 00:12:07 »
oh yeah okay so just a light application of 205g0 and oiling the springs makes these switches so much better.
I mean they weren't bad before but now they are fantastic, if not just a bit quieter than I expected.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 22:31:36 »
yeah, these are definitely a very interesting switch. unfortunately they don't seem to be openable by my switch opener (3d printed switchcracker) or the og mechanicalkeyboards opener (one side of the top housing unlatched, then broke the other side trying to force it), but needle nose tweezers work alright. tesing a loose switch, the bottom out with a keycap is super quiet, and the one sound test i could find sounds quieter than i'd normally like, so maybe this could be a good frankenswitch housing candidate since it seems really, really smooth.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 05:54:36 »
Looking forward to getting these now.  Thanks for the review.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 06:49:19 »
One thing to note: I bag lubed the stems in 105gpl with the second batch, in addition to 205g0 on the housing. Doing so really revealed their scratchiness. More so than stock. Not that they're particularly scratchy, but 100% of the scratchiness was revealed by oiling the stems. I won't be doing this in the future. They're fine with just a light application of grease on the housings.

Offline MS85

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 14:25:19 »
yeah, these are definitely a very interesting switch. unfortunately they don't seem to be openable by my switch opener (3d printed switchcracker) or the og mechanicalkeyboards opener (one side of the top housing unlatched, then broke the other side trying to force it), but needle nose tweezers work alright. tesing a loose switch, the bottom out with a keycap is super quiet, and the one sound test i could find sounds quieter than i'd normally like, so maybe this could be a good frankenswitch housing candidate since it seems really, really smooth.

I can’t remember which was but I remember seeing a build stream of the protos and it did mention the quietness as well. Almost half way between a traditional and a silent linear. Quite an interesting solution.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 21:24:52 »
So yeah these actuate much earlier than advertised.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 21:29:59 »
So yeah these actuate much earlier than advertised.

Show Image

Well **** me. Good to know I'm not losing my mind.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTu_R-ibhw4&feature=youtu.be

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 23:04:53 »
oh god. no one wants or needs this early of an actuation.  we need to let them know for v3  :p