Author Topic: Can someone help me pick & source quality 65% components  (Read 3466 times)

Offline lyons238

Can someone help me pick & source quality 65% components
« on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 10:24:50 »
Hi all,

I've been a long-time electronic/computer enthusiast and building and soldering my own stuff for years so this is not new territory for me. What is new territory for me is not being able to source quality parts in 2019. It seems the MK community is ridiculous with all of these group buys and limited runs I can't find a damn thing that suits my needs.

Keyboard build purposes:
- Gaming - must be a solid performer (I was looking at the KBD DZ60RGB but was unable to determine if the input bug was ever fixed, plus I'm not a fan of hot swap)
- Editing - photo/video/music production
- Writing/documents for work
- General use

What I have so far:
- Zeal Zilent Aqua's 62g (tactile)
- Zeal transparent screw in stabs
- DIY coiled paracord cable
- 3203 lube for Zeal Aquas
- 905g0 for stabs

Here's my saught after specs:
- 65% PCB, QMK preferably, ANSI, solder version, with USB-C, screw in stabs, and preferably per key RGB (unless I can find a nice case that makes use of underglow)
- Aluminum mid-high profile case similar to TOFU or a simple design -(can't seem to find a Klippe or Fjell to save my life)
- GMK keycaps potentially retro color with a red accent, light blue or purple secondary accents
- Plate and case foam - are there any other options now that MKUltra is temporarily down?

I'm looking at the KBD Fans KBD67 MKII DIY kit but it is currently out of stock. That kit seems to be pretty close to what I'm after though. Any component recommendations and/or where to find them would be excellent!

Thank you.

Offline iso

Re: Can someone help me pick & source quality 65% components
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 14:05:39 »
Every time someone asks for parts recc. and is very specific about what they want and how to perform is never a good time.
If you have the controller and switches/caps just build the thing, no one ever created a keyboard to fit everyone`s need, whatever you find to be "perfect" now, could become obsolete in 3 months or you get bored about RGBs and color shifting caps, breathing patterns...

You`re ready to dump $3k+ on "Best everything" ?

Best quality metal case ? Your local machinist
Best quality PCB ? Design one to fit your need
Best quality switches ? I dont even know what to mention here, so many sources.
Best quality caps ? Design, 3d SLA print, resin cast whatever you need or pay someone to do it.

Or

Use whats on the market and make the best of it which is the cheapest/flexible approach.

Just to make it clear, there is not alot of people that can afford to build hardware the right way, first time trying and keep it that way for years.

Been overly dramatic on purpose, once you start your own build you`ll understand why :)

Offline lyons238

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 17:52:46 »
Every time someone asks for parts recc. and is very specific about what they want and how to perform is never a good time.
If you have the controller and switches/caps just build the thing, no one ever created a keyboard to fit everyone`s need, whatever you find to be "perfect" now, could become obsolete in 3 months or you get bored about RGBs and color shifting caps, breathing patterns...

You`re ready to dump $3k+ on "Best everything" ?

Best quality metal case ? Your local machinist
Best quality PCB ? Design one to fit your need
Best quality switches ? I dont even know what to mention here, so many sources.
Best quality caps ? Design, 3d SLA print, resin cast whatever you need or pay someone to do it.

Or

Use whats on the market and make the best of it which is the cheapest/flexible approach.

Just to make it clear, there is not alot of people that can afford to build hardware the right way, first time trying and keep it that way for years.

Been overly dramatic on purpose, once you start your own build you`ll understand why :)

dude did you really even read my entire post? my needs are very reasonable and many boards meet my needs like the Zeal65. Problem is...nothing is in stock, EVER.

I'm not going to design my own PCB and case and get it manufactured for a one off...that's just insane.

I'm not a newbie, I work for a PCB design software company and have been putting together electronics all my life. But the cost and effort to do that is not worth my time when I know there are things on the market that will suit me. Your suggestion is completely unreasonable, I just need help finding or sourcing some parts because every time I find a case, PCB, or whatever that suits my needs, it's out of stock everywhere or the only information I can find on it is an already expired group buy...Having said that it seems like some people that are deeper into this niche market have some better sources than I do because they seem to be able to get their hands on parts more easily.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 October 2019, 17:55:15 by lyons238 »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 18:04:37 »
If things aren't in stock, there will be people selling on r/mechmarket or classified here.

Another option I can think of is the Zephyr by Zeal, but it's considerably more expensive than the kbdfans option.

GMK - take a look at 9009 or Muted. 9009 has a red accent, Muted has light blue/purple.

Offline lyons238

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 20:38:44 »
If things aren't in stock, there will be people selling on r/mechmarket or classified here.

Another option I can think of is the Zephyr by Zeal, but it's considerably more expensive than the kbdfans option.

GMK - take a look at 9009 or Muted. 9009 has a red accent, Muted has light blue/purple.

Thanks bud. I have been looking for a Zephyr but can't find one used and they're not making them new anymore I don't believe.

The GMK Muted set is the one I'm after as well! Again I can't find used or new anywhere.

I have been looking at mechmarket here and there but I'll continue to hunt!

Cheers!