Author Topic: [IC] Austin r2 (Compact Full Size) - HUGE UPDATES!  (Read 61363 times)

Offline driftingbunnies

[IC] Austin r2 (Compact Full Size) - HUGE UPDATES!
« on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 08:15:39 »
Rollout Update!

Hi everyone! Thank you for your interest and support for Austin R2. I’d like to provide an update for the schedule of what you can expect in the next few weeks.

For those who missed the stream, please check out the VOD for the changes between R1 and R2. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/608622670

Build streams

Next week, we will have streamers 0siris from MechsOnDeck building a prototype on Tuesday (5/5), ~8PM CT on twitch. Be sure to check out the first build at https://www.twitch.tv/mechsondeck.

On Friday of that week, we’ll also be having Quakemz from TopClack build the second prototype on Friday (5/8) on twitch as long as he receives the board on time. Check him out at https://www.twitch.tv/topclack

I’ll try to be available during these streams but I can’t promise I’ll be around the entire stream. If you have any questions about the board, feel free to ask in the beginning or drop by the discord. https://discord.gg/X6XhE6B

Polycarb Austin Auction

To celebrate the start of R2, I will be auctioning a 1 of 1 production polycarbonate Austin based on the R1 design. The google form will open up on the 9th and will close Monday morning (whenever I wake up) on the 11th. This polycarb case is the only one of its kind since it was based on the production files from R1 and not the prototype. The case and weight will be sold “as-is” since there are no extras to replace it. I have not taken apart the case in order to reduce the risk of stripping the threaded holes and will provide additional fasteners if you choose to replace them. Invoice will be sent via Square and payment will be required within 24 hours. If payment is not made, the case will go to the next highest bidder.

https://forms.gle/i64P2na5QHTE2K658

Round 2 details:

Base kit (includes brass plate, PCB, fasteners, bumpons) - $525
Extra PCB (Limit 2) - $60 (compatible with R1/R2)
Extra Plate (Limit 2) Polycarb or Carbon Fiber - $45 (Only compatible with R2)
Available colors: E-White, Charcoal Gray, Cabernet Red

US/CAN Buyers - US/CAN buyers will be able to purchase on https://www.driftmechanics.com. These orders will only be available for US/CAN buyers and products will be available at 10AM CT on May 16th. There will be 75 units, FCFS.

International Buyers - Anyone outside of the US will be able to purchase through ilumkb (https://www.ilumkb.com). A product page will be available the day before and a google form will be in the description. GB starts at 3PM SGT on May 16th. Hopefully this time should work for those in EU and Asia. There will be 75 units, FCFS.

For those who might not be able to join during the FCFS, there will be extras available after the GB units are delivered.

Due to the increase in the number of units for this round, the GB is expected to complete in 5-6 months. However, delays are always a possibility when it comes to GB. No cancellations for GB orders. Please read the Group buy/pre order terms and conditions.

Disclaimer on colors - Many of you have asked about the Charcoal gray. The chip that was provided to me doesn’t seem to match the prototype received by ilumkb so I will defer to his pictures for a more accurate color representation of the Charcoal gray. There is no guarantee that the production colors will be a 100% match to the prototype but should be very close. The manufacturer will generally match up to 90% of the pantone color and because anodization happens in batches, it is possible that not all grays or reds will turn out exactly the same. Please understand that there can be a lot of variances when it comes to which monitor you use to see the pictures or videos as well. The goal for the Charcoal gray is to be darker than the R1’s gray but not as dark as black.

For more information about the board, please check out https://driftmechanics.com/pages/austin-info

Note: Bumpons for the prototypes are just samples from the factory. I plan to use black bumpons.

Original Post:

Hey everyone! I wanted to post this IC so that people who aren't in my discord are able to fill out the IC form so that we can get a better idea of which colors and plate materials we should offer this time around. Round 2 will be very similar to round 1. The main difference will be the colors.

Please check out the GB thread and IC thread for more information about the keyboard.

IC Form

GB Thread
IC Thread

Austin Pictures

Layout
235705-0

Specs:
  • Full size numpad
  • Full aluminum top and bottom case
  • 5.5 6.5 degree slope
  • Sandblasted raw brass weight
  • PCB is QMK compatible
  • USB C (centered)
  • Top mounted

Colors: E-White, Charcoal Gray, Cabernet Red
Price: $525

Be sure to join our discord and follow us on instagram for more updates!
Discord
Instagram

Build streams

MechsOnDeck build stream

Iammeuru build stream

MrKeebs build stream

Driftingbunnies build stream

A great write up of the Austin Jshuf's Build log

3/11/20 - Prototypes have been ordered. I'm hoping to receive them by the end of April and get the GB started in May if everything moves according to plan. Once protos are received, I will stream a build and provide one to a streamer to build as well to make sure everything looks good before moving forward with the GB. I'm also in talks with an asian vendor to provide more spots for r2.

4/7/20 - Protoypes are currently being polished and will start the finishing process soon.  Probably a week or so left before they'll be shipped out :)

4/19/20 - Prototypes are finished. Should be shipped out to me today or tomorrow :)

4/29/20 - Prototypes have been received. Quick stream on Friday to highlight differences between R1 and R2. More details about the GB will be announced this weekend.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2020, 15:07:02 by driftingbunnies »

Offline noodleman

Re: Austin r2 (Compact Full Size)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 09:30:47 »
definitely interested!  hopefully my wallet can cooperate!

Offline lac29

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 09:33:28 »
Nice! Any updates to the the design, case, or pcb?

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 09:43:03 »
Definitely in on r2, I stupidly missed r1. Thanks for running it so soon too mate.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 09:54:41 »
Count me in!

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 10:10:42 »
Nice! Any updates to the the design, case, or pcb?

The idea for a quick R2 is to keep the PCB compatible with R1 so we wouldn't have to re-proto everything. Case and design should be largely unchanged as well.

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 10:47:11 »
Is ISO an option?

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 11:12:25 »
Is ISO an option?

ISO compatibility is available on the PCB. However, last round only 1 person who purchased the board planned to use ISO so I sent them the plate file. If you choose ISO, you will have to get your own plate produced because I don't anticipate enough demand to get ISO plates made.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 11:14:00 »
Yes.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 11:19:45 »
Is ISO an option?

ISO compatibility is available on the PCB. However, last round only 1 person who purchased the board planned to use ISO so I sent them the plate file. If you choose ISO, you will have to get your own plate produced because I don't anticipate enough demand to get ISO plates made.

So, there is not a single chance to have an ISO plate option?
What would be the MOQ for an ISO plate to be produced?

Offline Capsy

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 11:25:57 »
Is ISO an option?

It was 10 in the previous round.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 12:06:11 »
Is ISO an option?

In the R1, we had some people complaining that originally there was no ISO support and we tried to argue it really is detrimental to the PCB integrity by adding so much holes and pads. It also sophisticates the building process.

Having a PCB full of holes, however, is not that big of a deal inasmuch as it does not change sound signature of the keyboard nor makes it more expensive. Hence we gave in and added ISO support on the PCB.

Plates however are a whole different story. Trifling with plate cuts is essentially removing material from the plate and that can significantly alter the sound profile of the keyboard for the worst. In some cases, the extra space around switces makes them wobblier, directly affecting keyboard feel and effectiveness as a high-end product. Plates are not meant to be multi-layout support (ask out there how many people like those universal plates) and, as you can see from the KLE, we kept them to a minimum. I had people ask me to add full-grid numpad support, mirrored numpad and whatnot.

In face of this, we decided to offer two plate options, an ANSI and an ISO, so that whichever layout you use the sound and feel are pristine. Then again, offering another plate means another laser cutting drawing that the fab has to do, more logistics, more possible defects.

Truth of the matter is ISO users are a minority in the hobby --- and that's fine, I'm not one to layout-shame anyone --- but from a feasibility standpoint that makes things so much harder. Just see the amount of ISO kits that are not being made in keysets, and how many keysets are removing ISO from base kits because it significantly makes kits more expensive. Bunnies said that he could offer ISO plates if 10 or more people wanted, and only one guy manifested interest, so plate files were sent.

I think that having that same approach for R2 would be nice --- if we get 10+ ISO users we can offer ISO plates down the road. It's up to Bunnies though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2020, 12:16:12 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline norb

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 12:40:46 »
i've had a quick chat with driftingbunnies in the discord and he said that he would most likely send me or anyone who wants to build an ISO layout the plate files.
the plate should be easily done by laserboost which i personally don't have any experience with, but it looks pretty good.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 12:44:16 »
Is ISO an option?

In the R1, we had some people complaining that originally there was no ISO support and we tried to argue it really is detrimental to the PCB integrity by adding so much holes and pads. It also sophisticates the building process.

Having a PCB full of holes, however, is not that big of a deal inasmuch as it does not change sound signature of the keyboard nor makes it more expensive. Hence we gave in and added ISO support on the PCB.

Plates however are a whole different story. Trifling with plate cuts is essentially removing material from the plate and that can significantly alter the sound profile of the keyboard for the worst. In some cases, the extra space around switces makes them wobblier, directly affecting keyboard feel and effectiveness as a high-end product. Plates are not meant to be multi-layout support (ask out there how many people like those universal plates) and, as you can see from the KLE, we kept them to a minimum. I had people ask me to add full-grid numpad support, mirrored numpad and whatnot.

In face of this, we decided to offer two plate options, an ANSI and an ISO, so that whichever layout you use the sound and feel are pristine. Then again, offering another plate means another laser cutting drawing that the fab has to do, more logistics, more possible defects.

Truth of the matter is ISO users are a minority in the hobby --- and that's fine, I'm not one to layout-shame anyone --- but from a feasibility standpoint that makes things so much harder. Just see the amount of ISO kits that are not being made in keysets, and how many keysets are removing ISO from base kits because it significantly makes kits more expensive. Bunnies said that he could offer ISO plates if 10 or more people wanted, and only one guy manifested interest, so plate files were sent.

I think that having that same approach for R2 would be nice --- if we get 10+ ISO users we can offer ISO plates down the road. It's up to Bunnies though.

I'm aware of the pro and cons of dedicated plates for specific layouts, no need for such a lengthy post.
I just wanted to know what the requirements are in R2 for the chance of an ISO plate.

i've had a quick chat with driftingbunnies in the discord and he said that he would most likely send me or anyone who wants to build an ISO layout the plate files.
the plate should be easily done by laserboost which i personally don't have any experience with, but it looks pretty good.

What a bummer.

Offline norb

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 13:06:41 »
getting the plate file sounds pretty good to me tho', and makes it worth for me to try to grab one :thumb:

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 13:49:17 »
Is ISO an option?

I'm aware of the pro and cons of dedicated plates for specific layouts, no need for such a lengthy post.
I just wanted to know what the requirements are in R2 for the chance of an ISO plate.

Austin was -- surprisingly -- a first board for a lot of people. You would think a newcomer would not spend 500 dollars in a high-end product made for experienced members, but you can't imagine how many PMs in Discord I got from people saying they bought an Austin, but they are first timers and don't have soldering irons so they want recommendations. So I try to make comprehensive responses, also for future reference. I think this makes our community healthier.

Second, I think that the multi-layout support question needs a thorough response because the last time around people thought we were "ditching ISO simply because it's easier for us and we can safely fill the spots with ANSI users", as if we were here to make a quick buck. We just want to deliver a nice product. I'm not saying that you particularly are accusing us of that, just reiterating we are not making it harder on ISO people because we are sadists, it's a technical design decision. As a brazilian I am also user of an endemic layout -- the ABNT --- and I know how bad it is not to have your preferred layout contemplated.

Third, as designers and GB runners we want to make our design and business decisions crystal clear, so as to make the process easier and safer for everyone and also to respect the consumers, the people who are paying for this. They are entitled to know what they are getting into and why it was made in this or that manner.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2020, 16:41:38 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline lac29

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 13:56:15 »
Thanks for the info. I'm sure if someone really wants ISO they can PM you for some custom order at an appropriate price for a one off.

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 14:09:51 »
Is the PCB solder or hotswap?

Offline Rexcramer

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 14:24:38 »
Thanks for the info. I'm sure if someone really wants ISO they can PM you for some custom order at an appropriate price for a one off.

Would definitely be interested in ordering a fixed ISO plate together with the board even if it will cost more then the standard ANSI plates due to lower demand.
Maybe the ISO users can band together so it doesn't break the bank  :rolleyes:

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 14:24:46 »
Is the PCB solder or hotswap?

Solderable. It's also open-source. Check the documentation https://gondolindrim.github.io/AcheronDocs/austin/intro.html and the GitHub page https://github.com/Gondolindrim/Austin

Offline hkiri

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 14:27:55 »
Second, I think that the multi-layout support question needs a thorough response because the last time around people thought we were ditching ISO simply because it's easier for us and we can safely fill the spots with ANSI users, as if we were here to make a quick buck. We just want to deliver a nice product. I'm not saying that you particularly are accusing us of that, just reiterating we are not making it harder on ISO people because we are sadists, it's a technical design decision.

!?!?

Dude, chill. You are interpreting too much into a two sentence forum post.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 14:31:26 »
Second, I think that the multi-layout support question needs a thorough response because the last time around people thought we were ditching ISO simply because it's easier for us and we can safely fill the spots with ANSI users, as if we were here to make a quick buck. We just want to deliver a nice product. I'm not saying that you particularly are accusing us of that, just reiterating we are not making it harder on ISO people because we are sadists, it's a technical design decision.

!?!?

Yeah I think I did. Sorry about that. I just don't want to have the same kind of reaction we had in the R1 GB post.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 14:51:22 »

!?!?

Yeah I think I did. Sorry about that. I just don't want to have the same kind of reaction we had in the R1 GB post.

I don't know what happened exactly during R1, but probably understandable to try to diminish any false assumptions.

There are so many ICs/GBs for boards without any ISO-support at all (neither plate, nor pcb) and it's totally understandable. The ANSI community is so much bigger and a lot of EU people have adopted ANSI for easier access to basically everything regarding keyboards. Those GBs aren't meant for me and my preference of ISO - I'm fine with it. Everybody can run their projects how they please. Still I'll ask for the chance of ISO if I'm interested in a project. Doesn't hurt anybody (normally) ;)

Offline Iksion

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 15:07:06 »
Good news! New colours?
KBD75v1 | Kira | Melody96 | TX75v2 | TX-CP | hbcp | Keycult No.2 rev.1 | NK65 | Duck Octagon v3 | Percent Volt | TX65v2 | KY-01 | Sunsetter | Mr. Suit | J-01 | Dolphin 2021 | Phase One 65 | KBD8x Mark ii

Offline honoka

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 15:10:21 »
Declare your interest with the IC-form.
I filled it in and added that I'm an ISO-user and would like a plate made.
If people are more vocal in the forms its easier to gauge the interest.

Also, everyone interested in ISO plates. Make sure you want the brass ones :D

Offline roguesystem087

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 16:24:52 »
i really hope the gb starts asap for this... what a dope board

Offline andymer

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 16:57:57 »
Yes plssss

Offline Ajchauvet

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 17:12:30 »
i really hope the gb starts asap for this... what a dope board

Yes plssss

Everyone please read the whole post. GB ended last year and all the boards + extras have already been shipped.

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 17:15:01 »

[/quote]

Everyone please read the whole post. GB ended last year and all the boards + extras have already been shipped.
[/quote]

This is the R2 though and this IC thread is posted just today.

Offline Ajchauvet

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 17:21:16 »

My bad, that’s just on me. I thought it was odd that there was the link to the GB page with the most recent update for shipping being last thursday.

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 17:25:02 »

My bad, that’s just on me. I thought it was odd that there was the link to the GB page with the most recent update for shipping being last thursday.

yea no worries, we all slip occasionally :D

Offline Preußens Gloria

Re: [IC] Austin r2 (Compact Full Size)
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 01:32:12 »
How many slots will this round have?

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 09:52:59 »

The number hasn't been determined yet but I'm thinking around the same as last time. I'm planning to order more extras though in order to ensure higher QC for the GB participants so the total number of units will be higher for r2.

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 10:21:11 »
Any chance of a hotswap option?

Offline roguesystem087

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 16:25:14 »
The number hasn't been determined yet but I'm thinking around the same as last time. I'm planning to order more extras though in order to ensure higher QC for the GB participants so the total number of units will be higher for r2.

Out of curiosity, do you think the group buy will run like... in march or april? would u happen to have like a timeline plan for the r2?

Offline deathwalker113

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 21:42:53 »
 FR4 plate or BOM plate for r2 ?

Offline vector88

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 22:05:35 »
How will this group buy work? Is there some page where oneself can preorder one? I never bought keyboard in GB, but this looks amazing.

Offline AaronR

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 01:49:34 »
Any chance of getting one in e-white?

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 03:32:13 »
E-Yellow and/or grey, for Lunar!

235823-0

Offline chits

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 09:54:41 »
Can anyone educate me on the difference in appearance between anodized black and e-black?

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 10:06:34 »
Can anyone educate me on the difference in appearance between anodized black and e-black?
E-coating is paint applied over the metal. Anodizing is modifying the the chemical structure of the surface to create a color. E-coating creates a smooth and glossy black. Anodization keeps the texture of the aluminum underneath and tends to be flatter. Here's an example image (e-coat on left).

Offline chits

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 10:22:09 »
E-coating is paint applied over the metal. Anodizing is modifying the the chemical structure of the surface to create a color. E-coating creates a smooth and glossy black. Anodization keeps the texture of the aluminum underneath and tends to be flatter. Here's an example image (e-coat on left).
Thanks. Seems like e coat is analogous to a clear coat while anodized appears more like a primer.
IC form filled out. Hope this round goes smooth!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 12:48:06 »
Any chance of getting one in e-white?

The IC did show e-White is a champion color. It has a big change of making it into the GB

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 12:48:41 »
E-Yellow and/or grey, for Lunar!

(Attachment Link)

Gray was an R1 color and is probably going into R2 GB too.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 12:49:18 »
Unfortunately there are no current plans for a hotwswap PCB at this moment

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 12:53:23 »
Will it fit mill max? That's good enough for me.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 13:16:40 »
FR4 plate or BOM plate for r2 ?

Probably not. I like to keep it down to 1-2 choices.

Out of curiosity, do you think the group buy will run like... in march or april? would u happen to have like a timeline plan for the r2?

I will want to get a few prototypes with the new colors to make sure everything is good before going into GB. This will depend on how quickly China can get back into full production.

How will this group buy work? Is there some page where oneself can preorder one? I never bought keyboard in GB, but this looks amazing.

There will most likely be a google form that you fill out and I will send out an invoice to you through Square.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 13:31:45 »
Will it fit mill max? That's good enough for me.

Yes, the switch footprints do fit millmax sockets.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 23:59:38 »
Looking forward to this GB. Nice design and layout.

Offline newgen90

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 22:14:16 »
Very interested in this board. Can't wait for it to reach GB stage. My only change request would be for an option for 3 keys to the right of the spacebar instead of 2.