Author Topic: Harvesting keyboards / electric typewriters keycaps for IBM Model M Keyboard  (Read 3410 times)

Offline babuinix

Has topic says, what would be good Keyboards/Electric Typewriters that i could harvest with keys so i could use on my model M.

Im from Europe / Portugal so buying them gest costly cause of shipping fees.

I know model Model M2 is also buclking springs and maybe same keys, how about this ones:

or

For instance this typewritter, could i harvest those keycaps? whats the mechanism beneath?

Could get this for 10/15 bucks for example.

Thx in advance.
i5 3470//GSKILL 8GB RIPJAW X//SEAGATE 1TB//XFX 550W//MSI GTX660 TF OC 2G

Offline BlueBär

Buckling spring keycaps are fairly unique and the only other keycaps that I know of that should fit are the ones from the IBM Wheelwriter, see this topic: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41516.0
However you can get some new caps from Unicomp for a low price.

Offline babuinix

Thx, theres some preety good info there.

Offline babuinix

So i managed to get this IBM typewritter for 10€ with some interesting keycaps.

Harvested some of the keycaps to use on the model m and star dye experementing eventualy.

Before:

After some changes:

Among the noticeble changes with the white enter/caps/shifts/arrows/backspace is the replacement of the G & H that are from the typewritter and are slightly bolder letters, giving it a nice nuance omage to GeekHack :D

X was also replaced cause yeah...

Will try and hunt a Model M2 for the all white Fkeys.

Now what to do with the rest of the Typewritter? what more parts should i harvest? Maybe the springs just in case i need some replacements in the future?

The key next to scroll lock that looks like and antena is the key used to change from speakers to headphones and vice-versa, the tab+/tab- regulates the volume, Esc key is used as windows key, as a gamer using the Pause/Break key  in escape makes perfect sense :D.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 19:26:51 by babuinix »

Offline jacobolus

If you take apart some Wheelwriters to use the keycaps on Model Ms, would you mind sending me the "Code" keys (I’ll pay a few bucks)? Not right away, but at some point I’d like to try to make a custom layout buckling spring keyboard with split spacebars, and that seems like the perfect size/shape keycap.

(Also, it doesn’t really fit anywhere on a Model M.)

Offline luisbg

If you take apart some Wheelwriters to use the keycaps on Model Ms, would you mind sending me the "Code" keys (I’ll pay a few bucks)? Not right away, but at some point I’d like to try to make a custom layout buckling spring keyboard with split spacebars, and that seems like the perfect size/shape keycap.

(Also, it doesn’t really fit anywhere on a Model M.)

What was the 'Code' key for? I feel like I should know this.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline babuinix

Anyone knows if this keycaps are model M compatible?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
The Selectric is an altogether different beast.

M2 keys will not interchange properly with standard M keys, although the stems are shaped the same.

Perhaps if you did the entire function row it would look OK.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"