Author Topic: [ENDED] IBM Model M Blue Label Restoration Soarers, USB $115  (Read 2294 times)

Offline ezrahilyer

[ENDED] IBM Model M Blue Label Restoration Soarers, USB $115
« on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:09:42 »
Another Model M done. This time I finally have my premium braided cables to include with it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Model-M-Mechanical-Keyboard-Professionally-Restored-USB-Soarer-Clicky-/331389371875?

I have been wanting to start including better than generic cables, but haven't been able to find a good supplier, but now I have them, so there ya go!
Geek hack members can get a special deal by PMing me first.

-Ezra
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 November 2014, 10:05:42 by ezrahilyer »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
A solution for that gap around the USB socket that takes literally 1 minute and costs literally nothing is to cut a piece from a milk carton or other soft plastic item to close the opening. Even though it is ghetto, it is easy and forgiving since it is flexible and not stuck down hard.

I have made cable "escutcheons" that way by using a standard paper hole punch on 2 identical ones, making cuts from the hole out to the edge to pass the cable through, and then installing them at 180 degrees from each other so that the slits are not on top of each other.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ezrahilyer

A solution for that gap around the USB socket that takes literally 1 minute and costs literally nothing is to cut a piece from a milk carton or other soft plastic item to close the opening. Even though it is ghetto, it is easy and forgiving since it is flexible and not stuck down hard.

I have made cable "escutcheons" that way by using a standard paper hole punch on 2 identical ones, making cuts from the hole out to the edge to pass the cable through, and then installing them at 180 degrees from each other so that the slits are not on top of each other.

I am going to try that, thanks for the idea. I have been using the little internal cable-stay that comes on the terminal boards like this:
Which I think makes them look fantastic, but the regular model Ms don't have that piece, so I will try cutting a piece to go in there.
Thanks! :-)

-ezra
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 November 2014, 15:03:23 by ezrahilyer »

Offline ezrahilyer

Price lowered to $115, seems that people don't like the lexmark versions quite so much? this is a very very clean perfect clicky heaven of a restoration.
:-)
just sayin'

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

people don't like the lexmark versions quite so much?

I think that this is true.

If somebody wanted something fresh and new, they would buy a Unicomp.

If they are looking for a seasoned warhorse, they want it to look "Bad-Ass"

The Lexmark is probably just as good as any other blue label, including IBM-branded ones, and the quality control is surely better than current Unicomps. But the blue label itself indicates that it is from a date well into the 1990s, and many people may want something older. Also, the 1391401 number is considered the "classic" model, although I think that the metal badges are much cooler.

Personally, I still have a 1991 black (aka white aka beige aka gray) label 1391401 that was my first Model M and I have kept it completely stock. It still feels great and is one of my favorites.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ezrahilyer

people don't like the lexmark versions quite so much?

I think that this is true.

If somebody wanted something fresh and new, they would buy a Unicomp.

If they are looking for a seasoned warhorse, they want it to look "Bad-Ass"

The Lexmark is probably just as good as any other blue label, including IBM-branded ones, and the quality control is surely better than current Unicomps. But the blue label itself indicates that it is from a date well into the 1990s, and many people may want something older. Also, the 1391401 number is considered the "classic" model, although I think that the metal badges are much cooler.

Personally, I still have a 1991 black (aka white aka beige aka gray) label 1391401 that was my first Model M and I have kept it completely stock. It still feels great and is one of my favorites.

I have decided to end the auction and think about this one a bit more. I just sold a 1987 one today, at the full $150 price, but no one seems to want this one at $115.
 I think maybe I will swap the bolt-modded plate out for one that I have with all the rivets in-tact and put the shelf liner mat in that you talked about, and drop the price some more. I think that I will try and stay away from buying the newer ones because of this. I didn't know that the label on the bottom and the color of the IBM logo would have quite so big of an impact. Other than a little lighter construction than the 1980s IBMs, I think its a fine fine keyboard.