Author Topic: I was on eBay again ...  (Read 7493 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 October 2007, 03:01:25 »
I can't access ebay from the military network...so I'll have to check these out later.   :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 October 2007, 09:58:12 »
I'd like to bid on it and send him a "custom painted" money order – all blacked out.

Offline iMav

I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 October 2007, 15:48:02 »
I can't believe this is buy it now for $39.99 while THIS can be had for $18.95 (and is BRAND NEW!!!).  :)

Somebody here REALLY needs to snag that Macally 96-key ADB keyboard!!  (check it)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 October 2007, 16:34:55 »
Quote from: iMav
I can't believe this is buy it now for $39.99 while THIS can be had for $18.95 (and is BRAND NEW!!!).  :)

Somebody here REALLY needs to snag that Macally 96-key ADB keyboard!!  (check it)

Thats the one I liked, but I can't afford to buy it right now.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 October 2007, 16:52:20 »
This one would be a nice one to pick up as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190161497643&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

My 'board like that is a great little typer, in fact, it had the best switches I owned until the SMK 85 showed up at my door.

I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 October 2007, 23:28:27 »
I couldn't help myself. I just bought another keyboard, and the first thing I ever bought off ebay. I briefly used an MS natural elite keyboard 3 years ago, and thought it was quite good (except the horrendous cursor keys and pgup/pgdn key block).  Last year I started getting really bad pains in my hands and got the latest and greatest Natural 4000. It looks much better and has a normal cursor block, but the keys feel like rubber. The spacebar is a monstrosity. I had to learn to hit it with my left thumb. It requires less pressure that way, but then it makes a loud thud which is incongruous with the sound of the other keys. I distinctly remember the elite keys to be louder, clickier and softer. We'll see how good my memory is.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 October 2007, 23:47:14 »
Bough the "Ultimate Gaming Keyboard" did you?

I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 October 2007, 00:27:38 »
Quote from: xsphat

huh?

Offline iMav

I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 October 2007, 00:34:13 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o

huh?

Must be keying off the "elite" portion of the name.  

I'm pretty sure most hard-core gamers would hate that keyboard.  ;)

I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 October 2007, 00:46:04 »
Oh yeah 1337. Though i've heard that some FPS players like the tiny cursor keys on the thing. So that would make it:

2 x Plum keyboards (ML switches)
Northgate Evolution ergonomic (white Alps)
MS Natural 4000
MS Natural Elite
Cherry Cymotion Master Solar
the notebook's keyboard
an old Acer keyboard

hmm... I use the Cherry one 80% of the time. The 4000 rarely (tight, rubbery keys). The Northgate is gathering dust. The Plums are just a source of switches for my future uber-keyboard.

Offline iMav

I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 October 2007, 00:57:17 »
We need pictures!!!!    :D

I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 October 2007, 01:04:55 »
I bought a camera at the beginning of last year.  Took a bunch of pictures in t he first couple of weeks. Then put it back on the shelf and forgot about it. I'll post once I take it out of mothballs.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 October 2007, 12:41:15 »
Whiskey, I was making a joke at the expense of that dreadful 'board on eBay, sorry for the confusion.

What is your uber keyboard project? You got me interested because I wouldlove to do that but I just don't have the know how.

And dust off your cameras, I soon hope to start a set up thread ...

I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 October 2007, 00:21:32 »
Whiskey, I was making a joke at the expense of that dreadful 'board on eBay, sorry for the confusion.

After I won the auction, I spent the next 24 hours checking out reviews and alternatives (as if I had not done so for weeks and weeks before), cultivating a growing sense of buyer's remorse. The worst of it has passed, I think. Buying it will probably work out cheaper than not. I won't be spending so much time checking out reviews, jogging my memory of using the thing 3 long years ago, wondering whether I should get it. Instead, I will be furiously swapping my keyboards, trying to work out which one I like best and causes me least pain. The keyboards will be used mostly  to write about keyboards,

What is your uber keyboard project? You got me interested because I wouldlove to do that but I just don't have the know how. And dust off your cameras, I soon hope to start a set up thread ...

My uber keyboard project is the perfect ergonomic keyboard, of course! Well, first of all, you have to walk before you can run. You have to copy before you can do original work.  I think I will try to copy this thing with some modifications:

http://mykeyboard.co.uk/

But even that is a distant prospect given my other commitments. BTW, I'll be away for the next 3 weeks, but I promise to be back, so please don't despair. Our numbers can only grow higher!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 October 2007, 00:40:48 »
That is an impressive project,  but that is no "walking" project – I'd say that's more of a balls-out sprint!

Offline iMav

I was on eBay again ...
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 13 October 2007, 01:12:39 »
My uber keyboard project is the perfect ergonomic keyboard, of course! Well, first of all, you have to walk before you can run. You have to copy before you can do original work.  I think I will try to copy this thing with some modifications:

http://mykeyboard.co.uk/

I preface this by saying that I have never experienced extreme pain from typing, so I realize I am speaking largely out of ignorance to what you experience from day-to-day...

But, I'd rather give up computing all together than have to use that keyboard exclusively.

BTW, I'll be away for the next 3 weeks, but I promise to be back, so please don't despair. Our numbers can only grow higher!

In three weeks I will be on my way back stateside.  So there will be many reasons to celebrate!  ;)