geekhack Marketplace > Great Finds

Ebay Buying Advice - you asked for it

<< < (4/15) > >>

jdcarpe:

--- Quote from: 127001 on Wed, 27 November 2013, 10:59:55 ---What's the difference between a sniping service and eBay automatic bid feature?

--- End quote ---

Because no one knows your sniping service bid. If you use eBay automatic bid service, when someone places a bid lower than your max bid, it increases your bid past theirs, if yours was higher. So they can keep bidding it up to your max amount or past it. With a sniping service, when someone else places a bid lower than your max sniping bid, it leaves the bid price at what they bid.

So if you don't want to pay the MAX that you are willing to pay every time, you use a sniping service EVERY TIME, and sometimes get a bargain.

127001:
Oooooooooooooooooh. Gotcha  ;D

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: jdcarpe on Wed, 27 November 2013, 11:06:42 ---So if you don't want to pay the MAX that you are willing to pay every time, you use a sniping service EVERY TIME, and sometimes get a bargain.

--- End quote ---

Hey, didn't I say that?

My hair is getting worn off by switching my "buyer" and "seller" hats so often.

Good for one = bad for the other.

Learn the differences so that you can exploit the ignorance or carelessness of an unsophisticated seller.

Buyers - avoid starting or participating in bidding wars.

Sellers - do everything you can to encourage and facilitate bidding wars.

PhineasRex:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Tue, 26 November 2013, 21:26:41 ---
--- Quote from: PhineasRex on Tue, 26 November 2013, 20:14:47 ---
This is bad advice.

If you list your item for the minimum amount you are willing to take, then you will get that amount and likely not much more.

--- End quote ---

I absolutely disagree with you and stand by precisely what I said.  In my opinion, you are repeating ebay propaganda.

I resent your characterization of my giving away my successful techniques as "bad advice"

I base my opinions on my experiences in hundreds of transactions as both buyer and seller, in many types of transactions, on 3 different ebay accounts (all with 100% positive feedback) for well over a decade.

I firmly believe that there is little or no correlation between starting price and selling price, and that the risk of letting a $20 item go for $3 far outweighs any conceivable benefit that might accrue on the back end of a bidding war.

--- End quote ---
I bought and sold on eBay for a long time as well. I usually bought to resell and the biggest deals I got were on items that started out highly priced. The majority of those items had one bidder: me.

127001:
How well does auction sniper work when another party has put in an automatic bidding maximum? Does the lead time need to be increased?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version