Author Topic: [IC] DCS Alps WoB Keycaps Revived! - GB Live Now!  (Read 24554 times)

Offline Chalkboard

Re: [IC] DCS Alps WoB Keycaps Revived!
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 07:37:03 »
I support this. WoB ALPS sets are very versatile and it would be nice to snag another set. 

Offline json

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 06:53:02 »
yooo is this project still active?

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 14:04:32 »

Yes, still alive! Sorry for the delays, but this will definitely happen!

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 09:16:18 »
I'm happy to hear that this is still being worked on.

Do you think there's any chance of adding a relegendables kit for this set? A la DCS Pingmaster, perhaps?

Thanks!

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 12:11:42 »
I'm happy to hear that this is still being worked on.

Do you think there's any chance of adding a relegendables kit for this set? A la DCS Pingmaster, perhaps?

Thanks!

Yep, definitely will be adding a relegendables kit! Probably will be a smaller kit with 10 caps to keep price down, so enough for a macro column with one kit, and enough to line the top row of a TKL with two kits.

Offline linell

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 18:39:14 »
I never knew this was a thing until now
maybe I'll get into alps if I get this :)
bro this a **** set, just be thankful you even getting 1 base running fr

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 09:16:12 »
I'm still unsure of my next project, but it'll probably either be a split ergo 40%, or a dactyl manuform, so no plates will be necessary.
Watching with interest.

Offline caronte0

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 16:32:50 »
i dont know if this has been asked before. But will they be abs or pbt? I'm guessing abs, since pbt would be reverse dye sub and i dont know if sp is able to do it

Offline AstralYT

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 09:21:44 »
i dont know if this has been asked before. But will they be abs or pbt? I'm guessing abs, since pbt would be reverse dye sub and i dont know if sp is able to do it
I think DCS has always been ABS, except the Delftware

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline OhKeycaps

• OhKeycaps
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 10:45:36 »
I wonder if there is enough interest for DSA blank alps. Would be cheap. Sorry don't mean to knock on this GB, just thinking out loud. Are there many ortho boards with alps, or are they typically staggered?

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 11:03:39 »

DCS Pingmaster was PBT, with the spacebar being ABS. I am hoping that this kit would follow suit.

Also, as an aside, consider running plates as a separate GB from the keycaps themselves. Less of a logistical nightmare for you, and more importantly we would likely be able to see this running sooner  ;D

Offline bigapplepietart

• Topre Convert
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 07:59:38 »
Following as I fall down the Alps rabbit hole
Current:
Palmetto (Ultraglides) | Heavy Grail (Purple DES V1) | hiney tkl one PC (Orange SKCM Alps) | Lunar II (Green SKCL Alps) | Sho S60 V2 (45g stock domes) | HHKB Hybrid Type-S

Past:
Razer Blackwidow (MX Blues) | FC660M (MX Blues) | GH60 (Ergo Clears) | 8x mkI (Vintage Blacks) | Klippe (Sakurios) | Equinox (Sakurios) | MGA (Silent Alpacas) | Kei (Creamsicles) | KFE CE (Alpacas) | Rukia R1 (Durock L7) | H60 (Silent Blacks) | E80-1800 (MX Blacks) | Ottantaquattro (Vintage Blacks) | hbcp (Vintage Blacks) | HHKB Pro 2 Stock (45g Topre) | ADK64 (Blue SKCM Alps)

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 09:56:19 »

DCS Pingmaster was PBT, with the spacebar being ABS. I am hoping that this kit would follow suit.

Also, as an aside, consider running plates as a separate GB from the keycaps themselves. Less of a logistical nightmare for you, and more importantly we would likely be able to see this running sooner  ;D

Can SP do reverse dyesub? Or doubleshot pbt? Would be sick if they could do either.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 December 2021, 09:59:05 by Ensaum »

Offline caronte0

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 25 December 2021, 12:04:05 »
Would LOVE to see it on pbt

Offline IO Sam

• IO Sam Hub
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 13:54:26 »

Yes, still alive! Sorry for the delays, but this will definitely happen!

Any rough estimate for when the GB will go live?

Offline segami

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 07:31:47 »
Hope this happens sometime soon

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 29 January 2022, 16:04:47 »
Hello!

Below is the first major update for DCS Alps WoB. I apologize for the delay in updating, but going forward things will be moving at a faster pace so we can wrap things up and go into GB soon :)

I read all of the feedback provided in the IC form and made changes based on that. Thank you to everyone that helped out with that!

Kitting

Kitting Images: https://imgur.com/a/qKPV0Q7

There was a large amount of people that wanted a smaller, cheaper base kit so that they could justify ordering multiple sets. After all, WoB is a classic that looks good on any board, so I opted for slimming down the base kit to accommodate this.

The new Base kit does not have a numpad or Alice spacebars in the kit. However, an extra B and necessary shift keys are included so that the Base kit can be directly used on an Alice, albeit with shift keys for spacebars.

Alice spacebars were added to the spacebar kit, and the numpad was made its own separate kit.

The 40’s kit was revised based on feedback I received. It should hopefully now cover more boards.

The UK ISO kit was left the same.

Lastly, I added a Macros kit and Relegendables kit. The Macro kit is sized and profiled for boards like the KMAC Mini, Jubi, etc. The Relegendables kit was designed to fill a left column + the entire top row of an F13 TKL.

Note: it is possible the Macros kit will be removed due to limitations with what we can have produced.

Switches

As promised, we will be offering Alps switches with the GB. However, doing so is not simple since Alps switches have been out of production for decades.

I am happy to say that I have sourced and purchased a sizeable amount of NOS (new old stock) Alps SKCM White (Pine) switches. These are all brand new, never soldered, and in perfect condition. They are also Pine switches, not Bamboo, meaning they have a better housing than the later produced Alps.

With these, we are essentially offering both clicky and linear switches. How? Well, it is pretty simple: Alps SKCM (tactile/clicky) switches follow the same design as SKCL (linear) switches, but add a second switch plate for the tactility and clicky sound. So, while SKCM White are clicky switches by default, making them linear is as simple as opening up the switch and removing the second plate. And, you can do this even after you built your board, since Alps support switch top opening even when locked into a plate!

Plates

Plate Images: https://imgur.com/a/0hNLwQg

I have been designing and prototyping forged carbon fiber plates (1.1mm thick) to offer along with the GB. With that being said, here is what we will be offering:

60%
Jane V1
Jane V2
Jane V2 CE

I chose to offer these four plates, since they are compatible with dozens of boards. For starters, the 60% plate will support tray mounted boards (Tofu60, Klippe, etc.) in addition to gummy o-ring mounted boards (Unikorn, Moontower, Bakeneko60, etc).

The Jane series of plates do not need much introduction, but here is an incomplete list of some boards they are compatible with:

Jane V1 - Mech27, Mira, Moon, Orion, Unicorn (I modified the tabs to work with the Duck boards)
Jane V2 - Whale, Koala
Jane V2 CE - KFE

Vendors

While an overwhelming majority of IC respondents were from NA, I did notice the demand for vendors in other regions. Beyond Bear Cable Co., we will likely be adding vendors for the UK, EU, and SEA. Regions and vendors are still tbd.

If you would like a regional vendor, and have a preference for which vendor, please let us know! We would love to hear feedback on what vendors the community outside NA are a fan of.

Going Forward

We are in the process of contacting SP for quotes and info on feasibility of kits. Therefore, kitting is subject to change. We will also hopefully be able to comment on pricing soon.

Also, I’ve mentioned it before, but to clarify, this set will be doubleshot ABS. PBT dyesub is not possible for WoB, since SP does not offer reverse-dyesublimation.

Any and all feedback is critical to refining this set and creating a final product that best suits the community, so we appreciate any comments :)

Feel free to discuss here on GH, Reddit, or join my Discord server: https://discord.gg/juA7YBtzaT

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 January 2022, 16:14:19 by PigeonsLikeBread »

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 29 January 2022, 17:05:16 »
Let's go! Very happy to see some progress on this finally.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 29 January 2022, 20:18:16 »
Pine whites are better than skcm blues. I said it.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 29 January 2022, 21:28:37 »
any chance of adding a pcb to that list too? maybe a gb with hiney?

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 11:23:43 »
any chance of adding a pcb to that list too? maybe a gb with hiney?

Probably not, since it would further complicate logistics, but Hiney said he will be running more PCBs in the near future. You can find his Discord here: https://discord.hiney.cc/

Hiney PCBs are pretty much the go-to for Alps customs, so I would definitely recommend picking some up in the future when he runs them

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 16:37:54 »
Any estimative on price for each kit?

Offline jH0Ni

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 11:17:34 »
Glad to see this got some traction again. Will buy most kits, and probably a 60% plate.

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 12 August 2022, 15:41:14 »
Firstly, thank you everyone for your patience. I'm happy to say that it is just about time for the GB!

GB will run August 31 to September 30

Vendors:
  • Bear Cables – NA
  • MykeyboardEU – EU
  • Prototypist – UK
  • Daily Clack - AUS
  • Zfrontier- Asia

US Pricing & MOQs (pricing for non-US vendors will be announced closer to GB date)
  • Base Kit $120 (MOQ 200)
  • Numpad $40 (MOQ 50)
  • 40s $35 (MOQ 50)
  • Macros $20 (MOQ 50)
  • Relegendables $35 (MOQ 75)
  • Spacebars $25 (MOQ 75)
  • ISO $25 (MOQ 25)

Kitting
Kitting will be the same as here except there will be no 6u spacebar in the Spacebars kit

Renders
Before the GB we will have renders (of both kitting and the caps on boards)

Plates & Switches
Bear Cables (US) will be the exclusive vendor for plates and switches. As a reminder, plates will be 1.1mm thick forged carbon fiber, available for standard 60%, Jane V1, Jane V2, and Jane V2 CE. These four plates will support a sizeable amount of boards. Switches will be new-old-stock (NOS) Alps SKCM Pine White.

Unlimited amount of plates available, semi-limited number of switches available. Pricing will be posted closer to GB date.

Questions?
Happy to answer any questions. I will be making a GB post the week of the 28th with full, finalized details.

I'll post updates on GH, but feel free to join my Discord as well for updates and discussion!

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
Re: [IC] DCS Alps WoB Keycaps Revived! - GB Opens Aug 31
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 22:02:58 »
Lets go!

Offline menuhin

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 03:33:45 »
Kitting
Kitting will be the same as here except there will be no 6u spacebar in the Spacebars kit

Where will the 6u spacebar be? In which kit?
Or a 6u spacebar will not be offered in this GB?

Alps WoB is definitely something that I have been looking for but 6u spacebar is mandatory for my build.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline PigeonsLikeBread

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 16:42:57 »
Kitting

Alps WoB is definitely something that I have been looking for but 6u spacebar is mandatory for my build.

There will not be a 6u spacebar offered in any kit, since SP's 6u spacebar uses weird stabilizer spacing that makes it basically unusable without a custom PCB/plate.

May I ask what build you're doing that requires 6u?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 23 August 2022, 10:26:24 »
Kitting

There will not be a 6u spacebar offered in any kit, since SP's 6u spacebar uses weird stabilizer spacing that makes it basically unusable without a custom PCB/plate.

May I ask what build you're doing that requires 6u?

A true HHKB (6u spacebar) layout build.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline IO Sam

• IO Sam Hub
Re: [IC] DCS Alps WoB Keycaps Revived! - GB Live Now!
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 17:02:58 »
Phew... Caught this one on the nick of time. Considering the relatively small size of the Alps community, and my lack of familiarity with Bear Cable as a vendor, will all sets ordered be made (meaning the vendor buying the remaining sets to reach MOQ if needed)? Or do we need to reach MOQ ourselves for the GB to go to production?

Nevermind... Just joined the Discord server and saw that you have addressed this issue over there already  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 September 2022, 17:07:50 by IO Sam »