Author Topic: Hellow GH'ers  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Quark

• Searching for the perfect input experience.
Hellow GH'ers
« on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 21:33:02 »
Hi everyone,

New to the forums as of today.

Been a lurker for quite some time...

Considering buying my first mechanical keyboard, not for gaming etc but for typing - I'm a pro transcriber and typist.

Really looking for some advice outside of the whole gaming centric keyboard - that will help my impending RSI, and improve my speed....

Also looking for other key heads to hang out with :)

- Quark

--
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 /BASH MASH CLICKETY CLACK

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: Hellow GH'ers
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 01:45:10 »
avoiding RSI is more about holistically changing the ergonomics than your workstation, but being mindful about keyboard size, position and action is important too!

welcome to geekhack!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 09:45:48 »
Welcome. I'm also here as a typist/writer and have made great strides in improving my typing experience both in speed and comfort. Plus I've thoroughly enjoyed cycling through boards as a new side-hobby and meeting some of the folks on here. Hopefully you have a similar experience.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Quark

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 00:50:14 »
avoiding RSI is more about holistically changing the ergonomics than your workstation, but being mindful about keyboard size, position and action is important too!

welcome to geekhack!

Thanks! - I'm looking forward to learning a whole lot more! :)
--

Offline Quark

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 00:51:23 »
Welcome. I'm also here as a typist/writer and have made great strides in improving my typing experience both in speed and comfort. Plus I've thoroughly enjoyed cycling through boards as a new side-hobby and meeting some of the folks on here. Hopefully you have a similar experience.

Same here - hoping to meet some more pro typists (maybe even dudes like me!) - not many places on the web you can forum with other speed typists aside from the racing sites, but that's just not my bag.

Well met!
--

Offline rao2100

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 August 2012, 09:48:00 »
I improved my ergonomics dramatically by doing the following:

1) Evoluent Mouse
2) Ten Keyless keyboard, places the mouse nearer to the keyboard
3) taking 5 minutes breaks(walking away from the computer) every 55mins of work.

Like mkawa said you have to evaluate your current ergo situation, alot of stuff that i think you can google, including:
monitor height and distance from eyes, adjustable chair etc.
| KMAC LE Vintage Blues | LZ-S Ergo Clears | Filco TKL MJ2 Ninja Reds | CM QFR - Blues | IBM Model M SSK 1991 |