Author Topic: Hi there!  (Read 2957 times)

Offline oWn4g3

Hi there!
« on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 20:13:12 »
Hey all!

I have always thought about getting a mecha for my gaming pleasure but hesitated mainly because of being unable to test those things in a local store.
However I now got a lot of pages to type for my upcoming bachelor thesis. Additionally, after breaking the space key on my G15 due to... well let's say playing Dota2 involves some minor setbacks here and there... I am now willing to spend my money for a decent mechanical keyboard (well knowing that I might be forever expelled from cheap-rubber-dome-land afterwards).

I was told this is the place to go, so I decided to stumble in and have a look around :)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Hi there!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 20:17:23 »
Hey buddy welcome to Geekhack!
I love Elzy

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 20:34:01 »
Welcome aboard!  ;)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 20:35:30 »
Welcome! Enjoy searching for your first amazing mechanical! Just be wary, lots of folks get addicted, and wallets suffer! Including mine!

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 01:51:19 »
Welcome gamer friend = P.

You may be interested in finding a store to try out the Razer blackwidow. It's got MX blues in them. Otherwise you might want to consider a CM keyboard which are also reasonably priced. Otherwise there's a ton of boards out there with a variety of switches (MX,topre,buckling spring). If you've still looking for a board, just write down what you're looking for more specifically and I'm sure the forum would be happy to help.

Welcome to WalletHack. Your money is not safe.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline oWn4g3

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 04:54:52 »
I have thought about a BlackWidow and will probaby test it out when I can find one just to get a feel of MX Blues.
What I find really irritating though, is the way the letters are designed. It just looks so irritating featuring this very hard to read custom font.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 06:40:31 »
Yeap, it's font is appalling. CM Storm/Rosewill would be the next cheapest I think in the list of starter boards.

Offline oWn4g3

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 08:32:32 »
I will have a look at the CM Storm keyboards. Rosewill is not that cheap to get here in Germany as they have to be imported and stuff.
What about the Steel Series G6 board? It seems to be a mecha for a very low price. On the other hand I don't know if I like linear Blacks.
It's really hard to estimate if you have never tried the different switches yourself. As rubberdomes usually have a point where you feel the key is pressed, blues and browns seem to be "closer" to the feel of my current G15 while blacks and reds appear to be relatively different. Is that safe to say? ^^

As CM Storm boards can feature 4 different switches I will check those out I guess.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 10:07:43 »
Reds and Blacks are very different, as you've said because of the lack of tactility. Brown is the midground since it has tactility, but if you go full speed, you will barely notice it (if you even notice it). Blues will feel clicky, but it should still be lighter than a rubber dome. My personal choice is browns, it gives enough tactility so I know I've hit a key but also light and easy to type on. Opinions do vary tho for choice of switch.

The steelseries is blacks and its not so popular with us here. But who knows, you may end up liking black switches. I think the main thing about that board is the L return key instead of having \|.

CM storm seems to be a very good board to break into mech boards for it's price and choice of switches. Only downside with most people is it's covered in CM's logo.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 14:29:57 »
Filco Tenkeyless w/ Blues

You won't regret it.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 14:32:40 »
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline oWn4g3

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 14:46:37 »
I'm from Germany so one of my main problems in finding a decent mechanical is the German layout + the shop being able to deliver to Germany without too much extra cost :/

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 22:24:35 »
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_search.asp?SG=Q

They are in the UK, so shipping shouldn't be horrendous hopefully. = ) Filco's are definitely good boards tho. I've been using mine since I got into mechanicals last year.