Author Topic: [IC] PNPKey Ingot66 for FC660C  (Read 39346 times)

Offline Motherthocker

Re: [IC] PNPKey Ingot66 for FC660C (2021.05.26 Big update -- MX Compatible)
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 04 January 2022, 20:15:16 »
So excited for this!..

Offline leexy

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 04 January 2022, 22:54:25 »
my body is ready

Offline JP911

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 00:29:58 »
Hey just a short update! Got some DMs so I figured people wanna know whats up!

I finished designing the box graphics (I wont leak them, but Im really excited about them!) and am in the process of getting those made. Its been a bit of a headache navigating through Covid delays.

I did try and make sure the packaging was the best it could be, considering the brass ones will be 10lbs of solid metal. I opted to use thicker EVA foam as seen above to pad everything (I had no idea how expensive this stuff was) but with custom fitted foam hopefully it will be more solid and transport in a safer manner.

I hope everyone had a good new year!

Offline Obamas Mama

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 10:21:10 »
Is there an update on this?

Offline fortaye

• 40's 40's 40's
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 24 March 2022, 22:22:37 »
Excited about this!
Filled out IC. Any updates? 

I don’t know about costs, but personally if the costs were similar I’d be into a nice case rather than fancy packaging.

Offline Obamas Mama

Still no update? Is this project dead?

Offline granola bar enthusiast

I really hope this project isn't just given up on like which happens with a large amount of IC's that pop up here, great project

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
I've heard it's still active, but I don't know how the person who said this came by the information so take that with a grain of salt.

I do see that @mustardgreens hasn't logged in since September of 2021 so it may be that they're no longer interested in updating here anymore?  :llama:
A-a-ron

Offline JP911

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 09 August 2022, 15:51:22 »
Hey everyone!

Long overdue update - Like i said earlier I think I'll be taking over this project since Matt is up to his eyeballs in doing lawyer things. This project is still alive but since we wanted to do everything right it's taking longer than expected. I picked up the foam last month from a local case company in Toronto, which wasn't cheap but since we would be shipping these we wanted something that would be robust. Especially for the insanely heavy full brass ones. This is super high density foam used mostly for movie equipment:

Here is what I came up with for the packaging. I wanted to do something more inviting and minimalist that would protect the keyboard during transportation. My main concern was how heavy the brass units were, that being thrown around during shipping means the box needed to be strong. The cardboard is super thick, and doubles as a storage if you remove the top foam insert (making space for the keycaps in a fully assembled unit).

I realized there might be users who have never taken apart one before so I plan to make a full how-to video with a little QR that links to it! It can be tricky to install because of the ribbon cable. Otherwise the standard stuff is included - screws, rubber feet, and a window without the dipswitch cutout for aftermarket controllers. I'll probably throw everything in a bigger bag and tape it to the top so it's not flopping around during transportation.

And my daily FC660C in full brass, with some heavier domes. I have been using this for a bout a year of testing now! Almost no tarnish because of the passivation! But it does develop a slight patina. You can remove it pretty easily with a bit of vinegar, but i like the slightly darker aged look.

I am actually not sure what to do at this point, we have a limited supply since a lot of them ended up being defective. But we do have a list of emails that are interested. We might email the first 20 people who signed up and see if they are interested as initial batch testers to see if they are happy with their units. Theres only like 40 or 50 units total.

Im not sure if its worth it to do a GB - I don't even think i have enough posts to make a GB for this project. But please spread the word if you have other friends who might be interested in this project! You can still put your name down in the Google Form.

Unlike other projects, this thing is now ready to ship!! So next update will likely either be a GB or simply a link to purchase. Thanks everyone! : )

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 09 August 2022, 17:54:07 »
Holy cats. Heck yes.
A-a-ron

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 10 August 2022, 01:21:22 »
Great news!

Been waiting on this update for a while. :D

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 10 August 2022, 01:22:56 »
Wow! thought this was dead or something. glad to see that you have the units in hand now.

for the first 20 units, if you go down the email list that registered interest, how many emails are there in total?

Offline JP911

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 10 August 2022, 13:04:39 »
Thanks for the kind words guys. Means a lot.

I actually think there are like 130 people on the list now, I gotta check with Matt as he has the password for the sheet. But of course a lot of people won't be interested anymore, it's been a long time so Im sure it will be alright if your name is on the list.

The biggest challenge I think is setting up the shipping and stuff - since if people are interested in the brass ones it might be really expensive to ship that to Asia or Europe. Canada Fedex is pretty expensive, and I didn't want to risk using standard mail although I have sent many of my expensive yoyos without an issue.

I was going to set up a shopify store then just have a count down timer. And do an email blast with everyone on the email list. But with 50 units I would be happy to maybe deal with people directly if people trust me? And as mentioned earlier - I don't know if its worth it to switch to a GB post would probably gain more traction but I don't know if I even need that at this point. What do you guys think?

Regardless I'm excited to get these into the hands of people. They are ready to go!

Offline leexy

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 11 August 2022, 00:14:31 »
may I ask what were the issues with the defective units? can they still function normally or qualify as b-stock?

Offline JP911

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 11 August 2022, 09:35:16 »
may I ask what were the issues with the defective units? can they still function normally or qualify as b-stock?

Good question and probably something I should have talked about more!

So the really bad ones that were discarded actually was a media blasting issue. The blasting and polishing was miscommunicated on the manufacturer's part and they bead blasted it with such a heavy medium the entire units were damaged and out of specification. to the point that the bottoms fit with a large gap. This was a batch of 40 units that got damaged but these were disposed of, which sucked.

The mildly bad ones I still have in hand (at the most 20-30 units? I have to check) and are mostly of the aluminum ones. They have slight defects during the anodizing process either they have a little mark somewhere along the edge, someone mishandled them ect. I could sell them at a discount but I would rather focus on the A grade units first. I know a local place that does cerakote, I wanted to contact them to see if thats a route I could take since dimensionally these units are perfect.

Hope that makes sense - I am a bit of a perfectionist, and I am unsure of what the keyboard community considers acceptable for quality so I would not risk sending ones out even with a tiny mark on the outside.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 11 August 2022, 10:41:31 »
For what it's worth, I've taken boards to be cerakoted so I'd be super happy to buy one that has messed up anodizing.
You probably would get a better rate on the cerakoting then I would though, simply given your volumes would be greater.
A-a-ron

Offline JP911

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 11 August 2022, 15:07:04 »
Good call, didn't even think about that! I'll get pricing for bulk and see if it's worth doing in the future. I might not have enough bottom pieces for those ones - I gotta do an inventory count first.

Offline JP911

Re: [IC] PNPKey Ingot66 for FC660C
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 13:24:17 »
Website is officially live!

More info if you are interested in purchasing! Thank you everyone for your continued support! huge day.

https://pnpkey.co/products/aluminum-ingot66-case

Took some time to finalize the inventory! Here are the final colors :)

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2022, 14:20:10 by JP911 »

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
Re: [IC] PNPKey Ingot66 for FC660C
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 23 November 2022, 21:29:54 »
bump! just paid for the Full-brass B-stock with the amazing deal for Black Friday. Freeshipping globally + 15% off everything! Go get it guys!