Author Topic: I'm considering Planck, are they that efficient or just for fun?  (Read 5398 times)

Offline DuckNorris

Hello,

I see MD has a new Planck drop. They look fun to build so I am considering one for fun and adding some DSA kit. However, can this really be that useful? I just see how limited they are and will have to macro the crap out of it... Of course it is still a keyboard after all... Be cool to carry around.

People usually go with DSA on these things right?

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
Re: I'm considering Planck, are they that efficient or just for fun?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 13:43:42 »
A Planck is anything but limited. It is a great keyboard, one that many use as a daily driver, for all kinds of stuff. Ye,s you will put a lot of things on layers, but that's not really a bad thing. You may use your thumb a but more (but its your strongest digits and all it does is mash a space bar... let it do better!), but your hands will move a lot less. That's a win.

Unless you go split, an ortholinear, like the Planck, is a great choice. Especially when it has such powerful firmware as it does. Few keys? No problem, layers give you more benefits than the missing keys, most of the time.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 14:23:52 »
form over function

The grid layout looks neat, but (1) you have to learn to type on it (the symmetry makes sense, but ultimately isn't more ergonomic, because it's still a single-piece straight rectangular keyboard), and (2) there's either no hand separation, or no pinkie-controlled keys.

I'd rather get Atreus (angled columnar layout). Or Let's Split (split keyboard, if you can deal with the interconnection).

Offline cribbit

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 14:58:20 »
The goal is to save desktop space without losing functionality, same thing as a TKL or 60% just taken further. It does this quite well once you get used to using layers. I highly recommend coming up with a layout that works for you rather than going by just the default one - try to put as many "modifier" things (ctrl, alt, cmd, enter, space) under your thumbs as you can. Keep your eight main fingers for typing and your thumbs for the extras.

Once you get used to typing on one it's actually more functional than a normal keyboard because it makes a lot more sense to have a split spacebar than a giant spacebar. Same reason why Ergodice have thumb clusters rather than just being a Let's Split.

It also has the added bonus of looking super cool.

Ergonomically the split spacebar (which allows one of your thumbs to be for modifier keys) is more ergonomic because you don't have to stretch your pinky to hit mods. Pinky for ctrl etc is a terrible design that came about during the typewriter -> computer transition, the only reason so many of these terrible old typewriter things have held on so long is that no one has the motivation to change them on a large scale.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 March 2017, 14:59:51 by cribbit »
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:31:13 »
Thank you all very much for your input so it does seem people can use these for regular work but will need to adapt to it. It does look like fun indeed but the thought of relearning a keyboard sounds like something I can put off for now. I will get one and just use it as a portable keyboard :D  Never really took the ergonomics of it into account hmm.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 18:49:43 »
I had one for a while, but ended up giving up on it.  The ortholinear part was what got to me, not the size or any of the standard reasons people say.  I use a JD45 on my laptop all the time, and a minivan when I want to do serious writing, and with the stagger, it doesn't affect my wpm at this point, even when programming.  But I know others swear by it and use it for their daily driver.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 19:46:00 »
Depends on what you need out of a keyboard.  I make too much use of those keys not on the primary layer of a Planck so it's not really a board I'd use much.  Maybe an Atomic for tablet use at most but even then, a 60% board is plenty small enough for such things.  Then again, I rarely ever use a tablet so it would be more for the kids and it's mostly a consumption device for them as well.

In the end, it's neat looking while not really having a purpose for me.  For others, it could work out very well.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 23:50:12 »
I wouldn't use one, but I'm also very dependent on hotkeys to navigate text quickly.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 01:30:51 »
Thank you guys I am at a stage where earlier in the year I was buying a lot of keyboard stuff but now I am like selling some and using others less and really just being more careful with my spending on keyboards. I see, as of now I don't have much use for it. I have my nice keyboard and plan to get a topre as well so I guess I will put this off for now and look at the other small ones like the van when I see myself spending on something I may not use as much.

Offline dantan

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 03:22:59 »
Thank you guys I am at a stage where earlier in the year I was buying a lot of keyboard stuff but now I am like selling some and using others less and really just being more careful with my spending on keyboards. I see, as of now I don't have much use for it. I have my nice keyboard and plan to get a topre as well so I guess I will put this off for now and look at the other small ones like the van when I see myself spending on something I may not use as much.

Am still looking for keyboad nirvana... planck is too small for me.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 15:31:15 »

Am still looking for keyboad nirvana... planck is too small for me.

Build your own that's a little bigger :)
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline Blurple33

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:15:57 »
As someone with no experience with one, I just joined in on the drop because of the possibilities with it.  Definitely looking forward to it.  Customizing the function layer(s) is one of my favorite parts about this hobby because it gets constantly tuned to my own exact preferences  :D

Offline Tally810

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:46:13 »
I tried one and the problem I had with it was using symbols... the layer system was fine and dandy and arrow keys and function rows were easy to navigate but symbols like / " , ! × =  really drove me mad.  Even though I tried to memorize and make the layout best for me

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk