Author Topic: Help with fixing a lifted pad?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
Help with fixing a lifted pad?
« on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 20:51:24 »
Hey everyone, I'm not certain if this is the correct subforum or if 'Making Stuff Together' was a more appropriate fit, but this board is more active, so I thought I'd post here. If a mod feels like it should be moved, please feel free to do so!

While working on my LSv1 I accidentally lifted a few pads off some stubborn LED spots while swapping switches. I didn't realize this until I went back in to resolder the SIP sockets in the new switches to the board and found that a few of the pads were lifted. Does anyone have any advice on either jumping the LEDs so that they can still work, or soldering directly to the trace in order to get the LEDs working? I'd really like to try and get all my LEDs working as well as I can.

I don't have any photos at the moment, but I'll try to get some as soon as I can.

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
Re: Help with fixing a lifted pad?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 21:26:47 »
Album with pictures: http://imgur.com/a/TcTXu

Apologies for the ****ty quality, all I have is my phone and the lighting is not very good

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 21:30:07 »
good god man

can either try and get solder deep into the hole or run a jump wire

i don't know enough about soldering to tell you how to do these things, but i've seen them mentioned as fixes for this problem before
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 21:32:30 »
good god man

can either try and get solder deep into the hole or run a jump wire

i don't know enough about soldering to tell you how to do these things, but i've seen them mentioned as fixes for this problem before

Feels bad, the one switch on the entire board where the soldering is egregiously bad (due to the ****ty solder used by whoever put that specific switch in in the first place) and it's the one where I have a problem that requires me to post it :/

This board was the first time I've ever soldered something on my own, and other than that one switch, it actually looks pretty good besides some flux residue that I haven't cleaned up yet.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 21:33:47 »
i mean i'd have the same reaction if i posted pics of my own soldering work

it works but it's not pretty
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 22:06:08 »
is this board traced on both sides or just 1 side.

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 22:30:02 »
is this board traced on both sides or just 1 side.

I think it's traced on both sides

Offline Delirious

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 22:51:14 »
I'm looking at the front of the PCB using Photoeletric's picture from this thread, try this

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 22:56:21 »
I'm looking at the front of the PCB using Photoeletric's picture from this thread, try this

That's what I was thinking. My worries come from whether or not it it will cause any difference in the brightness of the LEDs. I would assume it wouldn't, since in theory you'd just be fixing the 'broken' connection as long as you weren't using a ridiculously thick wire.

It's late here right now, but I'll pick up some thin gauge wire tomorrow and try that fix, I need to get some more thin solder anyway.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 23:34:37 »

That's what I was thinking. My worries come from whether or not it it will cause any difference in the brightness of the LEDs. I would assume it wouldn't, since in theory you'd just be fixing the 'broken' connection as long as you weren't using a ridiculously thick wire.

It's late here right now, but I'll pick up some thin gauge wire tomorrow and try that fix, I need to get some more thin solder anyway.

It shouldn't..

but if you got a picture of the front of the pcb Nude... that'd help determine if it'll happen.

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 23:43:28 »
Status update: It worked!

Thanks guys.