Author Topic: Help me identify these keyboards?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline okan

Help me identify these keyboards?
« on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 07:35:57 »
I know you can't see much but these are the only photos i have. $3 each.

Offline 3K

Re: Help me identify these keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 09:34:40 »
Just my opinion, but I usually do not risk buying an unknown board, which has nonstandard keys (like the spacebar of the upper), or a a curved frame (like the lower) as these things usually lower the chance of finding a mechanical keyboard. Talking about your average fullsize beige keyboard of course.

However if you simply want to identifiy them out of interest, I can not help too much. BUT I often simply ask the sellers to show the back label or remove a keycap and take another photo.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 14:05:17 »
for $3 it's worth just picking them up

they don't look like anything good though
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 14:53:57 »
Please remove a keycap and take a photo of the switches underneath.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 12:20:37 »
I believe that both are OEM rubber domes.

The one with big modifiers and relatively small spacebar should be a Chicony (can't recall exact model number) and fairly decent.

I'm not familiar with the exact Samsung model, but I've used many similar ones that were completely awful.

Offline Keycap

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 14:59:37 »
I believe that both are OEM rubber domes.

The one with big modifiers and relatively small spacebar should be a Chicony (can't recall exact model number) and fairly decent.

I'm not familiar with the exact Samsung model, but I've used many similar ones that were completely awful.

They would have to be rubber domes. They just have that obvious non-mechanical look to them, and they were both made during the time where mechanical keyboards were being phased out for rubber dome keyboards.

But I'd have to disagree with your view on Samsung rubber domes. IMO they're some of the best (pure) rubber domes I've ever tried, I like them even more than BTC and NMB dome with sliders.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:46:25 »
They would have to be rubber domes. They just have that obvious non-mechanical look to them, and they were both made during the time where mechanical keyboards were being phased out for rubber dome keyboards.
The conclusion is bollocks. I just got a couple of boxes full of "mechanical" keyboards from that time, with various similar layouts; some have Windows keys, some don't—it's a lottery. That said, these mechanical-contact switches are mostly cheap clones and not worth the time generally. Stuff like APC Clicker, Aristotles and Taiwan * switches, clones of simplified Alps, Acer switches… One of the notable few exceptions being Chicony KB-5981 w/ Monterey switches. I tend to keep them only to harvest keycaps (if they're Alps/MX compatible).

That said, the OP's chicony has an unique layout: the large modifiers are specific to this product series (5911, 2923 and similar). That's a rubber dome over membrane for sure.

But I'd have to disagree with your view on Samsung rubber domes. IMO they're some of the best (pure) rubber domes I've ever tried, I like them even more than BTC and NMB dome with sliders.
Either Samsung supplied various keyboards to different markets, or we have incompatible ideas about what's "good".

Those were (and still are) common in libraries, where I live, and I remember we had them in the home office in early 2000s. I didn't mind it back then (which is weird, because I was coming from objectively much better keyboards), but now when I stumble upon one, it's always horrendous: stiff, almost linear and extremely gritty. Sort of like dirty Cherry MY. (And I actually don't mind MY in good condition all that much.)

Offline justinmtype

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:12:40 »
Rubber domes.