Author Topic: Unicomp Model M key bounce  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Jon_B

Unicomp Model M key bounce
« on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 09:40:16 »
Hi

Is there any way to fix a Unicomp Model M with bouncing keys?

I have one here that's barely been used yet it suffers from keyboard "bounce" - that is, I press a key once and it registers two or three keypresses (or none at all). At the moment this is affecting the '=' key, space bar and one other key (can't recall which right now, it's been on the shelf a while). I decided to dismantle the thing, in the hope of swapping keys round, but discovered a membrane and key mechanisms fitted to a unibody chassis. In other words, it's not possible to desolder a switch and substitute it for another less used switch, because there are no switches.

How very annoying. This is a fairly expensive keyboard, yet it seems to have less staying power than a cheap Chinese MX Blue knockoff.

So, to my question. What might the cause be of this problem, and is there any remedy at all, that doesn't inviolve smashing it up with a big hammer?

Thanks
JonB

Offline justinmtype

Re: Unicomp Model M key bounce
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 09:55:24 »
Send back to Unicomp.

Offline Jon_B

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 11:26:06 »
Not an option, it is out of warranty despite hardly being used.

:(

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:26:38 »
Ask unicomp if you can send it in anyway (explain your situation) they might be willing to help, maybe have you pay a small fee to have it repaired out of warranty.
Aside from that pull off the caps and see if the springs arent centered.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 09:01:58 »
Ask unicomp if you can send it in anyway (explain your situation) they might be willing to help, maybe have you pay a small fee to have it repaired out of warranty.
Aside from that pull off the caps and see if the springs arent centered.

I have one key with a non-centered spring. The result is that sometimes you have to press it harder in order to activate the switch. Do you know if there's an easy way to fix that? Do I have to open the case of the keyboard?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 09:13:15 »

I have one key with a non-centered spring.

Sometimes, if the pivot plate ("foot") is out of its cradle in the barrel plate, you can use a toothpick or a pin to push straight down on it, then shift it laterally by just a small amount. That is seldom the answer, but I have done it occasionally with success. Don't press too hard, it is also possible to break off the little "ears" that form the axis that it pivots on.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"