Author Topic: [IC] GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛) WoB Hiragana - 11.05.21 Indefinite Hiatus  (Read 58231 times)

Offline Syper

• [IC] GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛)

GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛)

11.05.21 Set is put on indefinite hiatus, first run came with a lot of problems and lots of lessons. Still want to do something with the theme but only after I am happy with the output. Will be putting on hold as I prepare a fully fleshed out kit and not a piece at a time.

03.16.21 New Novelty Feedback Form: https://forms.gle/54MfcKRDR9g98ThD9
Original IC Form (get notified when we get to GB!): https://forms.gle/18vFzBzTPMPqinAX7

Intro
Welcome to the GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛) interest check! This set features the classic WoB with Hiragana sublegends with GMK icon mods and novelties inspired by the “Japanese Black” cattle breed, known for being a wagyū breed. Kuroge Wagyū directly translates to “Black Cow” in English. This set is aimed to be minimalistic, while also being aesthetically pleasing.

Colors
GMK Kuroge Wagyū uses WS1 legends on a CR base.

Who am I
More
I have been a long time lurker of the community. Early this year, I helped revive the Vancouver Mechanical Keyboard Meetup, it was a great experience and part of what pushed me deeper into this hobby. As of late, I have been spending a lot of time cooped up at home like many others and began researching for new sets to match with my keyboards. Apparently none match for what I want so I am now making it with the help of some friends!

Novelties Inspo
More
For the novelty design, I am taking inspiration from the 'Japanese Black' cow breed most well known for being one of the four wagyu beef breeds. Its pitch black hide is the perfect match for the set! Kuroge Wagyū is also known Kuro Ushi or "Black Cow" in English.

I decided to use an onion and mushroom because they are served grilled at Teppanyaki or cooked in a hotpot with the shabu shabu style.

Sake is a common drink that goes along with wagyū, good food, good drinks.

Proposed Kits *novelties are being re-visited right now!

Renders
Done by Manzel

U80-A by Rama

Dawn by crykn

TGR 910 by Yuktsi

Iron 165 by Smith + Rune

Group Buy

Collabs

Notes
We noticed that GMK JIS is also in IC. The owner, 2Moons was contacted and both parties agreed the sets are different enough.

Special Thanks (in no special order)
Zambumon - For the inspiration from GMK Jamón
Manzel - For Renders
Biip - For approval to use the dot to replace win key
Kuuguya - For general support
2Moons - For giving us the go ahead
Erika - For Novelties

Links
Website for your viewing pleasure: http://www.gmkkurogewagyu.com/
Discord Server for Updates: https://discord.gg/KQ6f3xcJn9
Instagram Link for Updates: https://www.instagram.com/mountiecaps/

Contact
Discord User: Syper#1234
Email: mountiecapsmk@gmail.com

Signature
Show your support by displaying a signature on your forum profile
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109503.0][img height=120]https://i.imgur.com/SZ99TYb.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 November 2021, 19:55:07 by Syper »

Offline Syper

Re: [IC] GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 09:09:14 »
Changelog

03.16.2021 - Updated novelties, give your feedback! Removed 00 key from base kit, removed 6U Offcenter, and one 1U from spacebar kit, added 2x 3U into spacebar kit. Renders soon.
02.19.2021 - Secured vendors worldwide! Waiting on collabs & pricing
01.28.2021 - Moved 'B' key from spacebar to base kit, secured CAN/US vendor, Spacecables cable collab
11.20.2020 - Updated base kit, removed 2u control key, updated hiragana on the “0” and “-” keys. Added new website: http://www.gmkkurogewagyu.com/

TODO
-Get a quote from GMK
-Finalize sets
-Finalize pricing
-Reach out to MORE vendors
-Deskmat?
-Artisan collab?
-Launch the GB!

Novelty Update Summarized (vote here: https://forms.gle/54MfcKRDR9g98ThD9)

« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2021, 10:34:36 by Syper »

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
Re: [IC] GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和種)
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 09:38:22 »
Omg I so need that novelty kit!!  ^-^  GlWIC

Offline udller

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 09:41:19 »
i like nice beef, i like nice keyboards, i like this. nice

Offline Oddstag

Offline yukitoki

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 09:52:54 »
moo keycap?

Offline Syper

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 10:17:07 »
moo keycap?

So something that says "moo"? I always thought about a hiragana text novelty but was never sure it would fit the set. Perhaps as an artisan collab

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 10:46:10 »
Please tell me there’s going to be a cow Rama Keycap  :-*

Offline justinm

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 10:56:20 »
nice

monolegend hiragana legends would be a nice addition too if it's not too close to gmk hiragana

Offline Oddstag

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 11:36:47 »
moo keycap?

So something that says "moo"? I always thought about a hiragana text novelty but was never sure it would fit the set. Perhaps as an artisan collab

Moo would be written in Katakana as:

モー

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 12:01:06 »
What's not to like? I'm in.

Offline yui_

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 12:04:21 »
nothing in this set really stands out as 'wagyu' over 'beef' to me...
would you consider numpad sublegends? normally i understand the argument of keeping it cleaner, but i think the sublegends work better when you already have hiragana sublegends on the alphas.
glwic

Offline LeoZ

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 12:07:26 »
Ty :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 November 2020, 00:37:39 by LeoZ »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 12:32:00 »
Hi there, please consider using the correct sublegends on the 0)をわ and -_ほー keys. They should look like this:

Note the regular size (small を doesn't exist in hiragana) and the additional (which is a Japanese prolonged sound mark, not a regular dash). With this change, your set will have correct compatibility for ANSI-based JP layouts.

Your kits look good otherwise. Although, you may want to include two 1.5u System/Super/Command keys in the base kit for Mac and OG HHKB bottom row users. These keys are more commonly used/requested than the 2u Shift and numpad 00 you currently have in the kit.

In keeping with the icon mods aesthetic, you may also want to change the R3 1.75u Control key from text to a icon. This has the potential to look cleaner since the text can look out of place when surrounded by icon-only mods from the top and bottom. See here for a comparison. Here are a few examples of sets that use the icon legend: 1 2 3 4.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 November 2020, 15:05:33 by konstantin »

Offline delet_d

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 12:33:10 »
can the steak novelties have more marbling to better fit the wagyu theme?

Offline Syper

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 13:19:17 »

I actually experimented with marbling on the steak, but the pattern looked bad/off due to having to meet a minimum width. I will likely revisit this in the form of a collab artisan, maybe a 'meat' silicone swirl from Rama.

Offline SE7EN_ate_NINE

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 13:33:39 »
I'm in for sure, but please consider adding a 1U Shift to go with the 2U Shift you thankfully already added.

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 13:47:59 »
I know it might look a little odd, but perhaps color matching to steak could look good. Maybe a deep oxblood maroon color with a slight off white for the legends.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 15:36:05 »
Rama steak

Offline hpkb

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 15:51:44 »
Finally some good ****ing food

Offline rondg

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 15:58:53 »
Please consider a hiragana legends only kit and icons only kit.  ;D

Offline Hyperdimension

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 16:40:03 »
I really hope this set comes to fruition! Missed out on GMK WOB Hiragana and also the extras, so I'm gonna be setting money aside already for this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 November 2020, 16:44:41 by Hyperdimension »

Offline delet_d

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 16:45:07 »

I actually experimented with marbling on the steak, but the pattern looked bad/off due to having to meet a minimum width. I will likely revisit this in the form of a collab artisan, maybe a 'meat' silicone swirl from Rama.

As shown by the onion novelty, thin lines could be done. It doesn't have to be too marbled, but right now it looks more like a pork chop to me. I'm not a big fan of rama silicones, especially after how the 8008 ones turned out, but other artisans would be cool

Offline onedrunkman

Re: [IC] GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛) - WoB with Hiragana sublegends
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 18:38:36 »
 ______
< nice >
 --------
        \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||

Offline swangful

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 18:59:14 »
Please consider a hiragana legends only kit and icons only kit.  ;D

Offline ookey

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 19:04:45 »
any chance of an alphas only kit? would be in for that

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 20:35:17 »
I know it might look a little odd, but perhaps color matching to steak could look good. Maybe a deep oxblood maroon color with a slight off white for the legends.

It would need to be different enough from Jamón, which is a direct inspiration for this set, but I agree this might be interesting. I realise you got 2moons’ blessing before running this set, but given that GMK JIS also supports ANSI-JP with hiragana sublegends and is white on black, it might help differentiate this set to have just a little bit of colour in it, even if it’s subtle.

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 00:07:19 »

It would need to be different enough from Jamón, which is a direct inspiration for this set, but I agree this might be interesting. I realise you got 2moons’ blessing before running this set, but given that GMK JIS also supports ANSI-JP with hiragana sublegends and is white on black, it might help differentiate this set to have just a little bit of colour in it, even if it’s subtle.
ah yeah that's true, Jamon is pretty darn close to what I described. Maybe a more purplish-red oxblood without having different colored mods. Very pale pink, near white legends could also help to differentiate the set.

Offline alpaone

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 06:54:18 »
[...]

Your kits look good otherwise. Although, you may want to include two 1.5u System/Super/Command keys in the base kit for Mac and OG HHKB bottom row users. These keys are more commonly used/request than the 2u Shift and numpad 00 you currently have in the kit.

In keeping with the icon mods aesthetic, you may also want to change the R3 1.75u Control key from text to a icon. This has the potential to look cleaner since the text can look out of place when surrounded by icon-only mods from the top and bottom. See here for a comparison. Here are a few examples of sets that use the icon legend: 1 2 3 4.

+1 for two 1.5U Super/Code/Command Keys for HHKB layout. I'd buy this set for those keys alone as many other WoB sets are unfortunately missing them.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 07:45:56 »
I don’t wanna be that guy (I do) but this looks kinda similar to the GMK WoB colorway.

Also moo~

Offline Pach

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 08:52:23 »
oh yes please

Offline ButDutWut

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 02:44:24 »
I'll take all WOB I can get

Offline Amuaisi

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 09:58:55 »
Hi Syper. I really like this set; I think it will be an interesting addition to the WoB ecosystem, the novelties are cute.

I agree that it would be great to have 1.5U Super/Code/Command keys. I'd consider another crack at the marbling on the steak, because I, too, don't really see it as wagyu.

You can count me in for a set. If you can establish a silver knife artisan enter, even more so. :)

Offline baccaan

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 10:03:02 »
I agree that it would be great to have 1.5U Super/Code/Command keys. I'd consider another crack at the marbling on the steak, because I, too, don't really see it as wagyu.

Seconding the Super/Code/Command keys, that's all I think the set is missing.

Offline Syper

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 15:06:45 »
Hi there, please consider using the correct sublegends on the 0)をわ and -_ほー keys. They should look like this:

Show Image
Show Image

Note the regular size (small を doesn't exist in hiragana) and the additional (which is a Japanese prolonged sound mark, not a regular dash). With this change, your set will have correct compatibility for ANSI-based JP layouts.

Your kits look good otherwise. Although, you may want to include two 1.5u System/Super/Command keys in the base kit for Mac and OG HHKB bottom row users. These keys are more commonly used/requested than the 2u Shift and numpad 00 you currently have in the kit.

Hi! I took some time to think about your suggestions!

Regarding the change to the hiragana, I have researched a bit and reached out to Hineybush who did GMK βeta. The molds are public so there should be no issue in using them! I will be updating the renders soon in a week 1 update. As I was researching I also found that some hiragana sublegends have the "¥" symbol on the \ keys. It seems it is not very important and its basically up to the designer's choice. For me I'm indifferent so I will probably add it into a poll. Would be interested on your thoughts

I think I will put the suggestion for x2 1.5u dot/super replacement into the next feedback.

I do not like the look of the "^" icon replacement so I will lean towards using "control". I haven't seen a render with it and I'm not entirely sold :(

Thank you for your feedback so far! Much love!

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 15:31:31 »
Chance of a vegan add-on kit?

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 23:48:41 »
kuroge wagyu... tasty

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 00:00:33 »
Hi! I took some time to think about your suggestions!

Regarding the change to the hiragana, I have researched a bit and reached out to Hineybush who did GMK βeta. The molds are public so there should be no issue in using them! I will be updating the renders soon in a week 1 update. As I was researching I also found that some hiragana sublegends have the "¥" symbol on the \ keys. It seems it is not very important and its basically up to the designer's choice. For me I'm indifferent so I will probably add it into a poll. Would be interested on your thoughts

I think I will put the suggestion for x2 1.5u dot/super replacement into the next feedback.

I do not like the look of the "^" icon replacement so I will lean towards using "control". I haven't seen a render with it and I'm not entirely sold :(

Thank you for your feedback so far! Much love!

Sounds good, cheers. Regarding the extra ¥ sublegend, I would highly recommend against adding it, because it's not true to form and is misrepresentative of the underlying layout. I explain why in detail here and here. I would say that it's not really down to preference, but rather has more to do with whether the legends are fully correct or not, similar to the and thing from earlier.

Edit: fixed link
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2020, 00:31:16 by konstantin »

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 02:17:45 »
This is gorgeous.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 02:22:37 »
We at least need to hit MBS 8.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Syper

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 09:35:43 »
11.20.2020 UPDATE #1:

Hi all! It’s been a busy week and I am truly grateful for all the feedback I received! To summarize, close to 200 people expressed interest in purchasing a base kit, 50 for spacebars, and 75 for novelties. For the first week and a bit thats not bad at all! Below are the changes, if you have feedback please submit it to the google form!

Kit Changes:
Based on feedback I have decided to make the following changes to the kits:
- Base kit removed the 2u shift, updated the sublegends on the “0” and “-” keys

I removed the 2u shift because I realize that it is usually paired with a 1u shift for GK64/XD64 styled keyboard layouts. They usually come together so I decided to cut it as the vast majority will not have a use for it.

New renders have been posted!
New website! http://www.gmkkurogewagyu.com/

I have also been considering some base kit options keep costs down as much as possible. Please fill out this feedback form of what you might like! https://forms.gle/7m1CMyDBvu5jZfW59

Week 1 FAQ:

Q: Will you add BoW accents?
A: No, this set was created to complement any keyboard color and bring attention to the Hiragana Sublegends. Adding a contrasting color as an accent detracts from this. This does not apply to any potential artisan collaborations as they are usually unique enough in its own right.

Q: Can you split the Alpha and Modifiers into its own set so I can mix and match my other sets?
A: No. Sorry.

Q: Can you rename to GMK Cow?
A: I love you but No.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2021, 22:38:47 by Syper »

Offline udller

Re: [IC] GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛) - UPDATE #1
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 10:27:07 »
can we get a moomoomoo rama?

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 10:33:12 »
can we get a moomoomoo rama?

As a Enter key artisan too.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 05:34:07 »
Any updates?

Offline santela

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 11:51:13 »
I know this isn't usually done, but can you put the extra B in the base instead of the spacebar kit?

The reason being that this set uses CR, a GMK color which many people, myself included, already purchased spacebar kits from other sets. All I need is the B for the alice layout, but purchasing a CR spacebar kit is complete waste. I assume this wouldn't increase the base cost by much since this is just one extra key, but it saves people like me a lot of money. I wouldn't have raised this if this set is custom colors, but for CR I think it makes a lot of sense.

Offline kidgoth

• imagine living outside of the US
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 13:52:09 »
rama steak cap would be crazyy

Offline beppsu

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 20:55:59 »
love it!  :thumb:

Offline Syper

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 10:04:44 »
01.28.2021 UPDATE #2:

Welcome to 2021 the year of the Cow(Ox), after a short winter break I am back and ready for some action. To kick it off we are happy to announce vendors for CAN and US! I will be working hard in the next week to reach out to and secure more vendors in different regions. Stay tuned!

I have sent GMK info about the set so hopefully we get a quote back soon :)

Confirmed Vendors:
CAN: Ashkeebs
US: Space Cables

Kit Changes:
Based on feedback I have decided to make the following changes to the kits:
- Moved "B" key from Spacebar Kit to Base Kit.

The reasoning behind this change is to keep costs down as well as recognize that most Alice/funky keyboard people already have extra spacebars. This is the final kit change I will be making until we get a quote back from GMK.

Collabs:
Spacecables will be our cable vendor of choice. More info will be released later on.

To stay updated for the GB please make sure to fill out the google form!

Offline noorejji

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 12:05:25 »
Double 3u in spacebar kit would be lit tho.

Offline dooooopy

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 14:41:44 »
I'm interested.