Author Topic: IBM M5-1 (w Trackball)  (Read 1443 times)

Offline msiegel

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
IBM M5-1 (w Trackball)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 20:24:41 »
A while ago, I sent Webwit a link for one of those and nobody else bid on it. He ended up getting it for just a dollar.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline jpc

IBM M5-1 (w Trackball)
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 21:37:29 »
I had an M5-1 and the trackball did not work very well. The ball didn't grab the rollers about half of the time. Either this particular unit was defective, or the design of the M5-1 trackball has a weakness.

IBM replaced the M5-1 with the M5-2 quickly. Could it be due to a weakness in the M5-1 design? That is my guess. Though I would be totally happy to hear from people whose M5-1's have usable trackballs.

Someday I hope to find an M5-2 and evaluate the feasibility of an SSK5-2 :D

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline jpc

IBM M5-1 (w Trackball)
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 22:29:48 »
kishy, what happened to your M5-2?

I just read about the scratched ball and missing retaining ring. Did it have other problems beyond that?

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline jpc

IBM M5-1 (w Trackball)
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 23:15:16 »
Oh, sorry, I've sold that M5-1 now. If I knew you were looking for pictures I would have snapped a few.

I don't remember any ball bearings or plastic cups in the M5-1 mechanism.