Author Topic: Foot Keyboard and mouse  (Read 9238 times)

Offline Eclairz

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 09:13:02 »
http://uk.gizmodo.com/2009/01/12/foot_mouse_designed_to_help_co.html

but only 6 keys on the foot keyboard it seems, now that i think of foot keyboards, i think a pressure chorded keyboard might work where the pedal have resistance and you can get multiple biting points like you get on a car clutch, of course it would be much slower for typing but I guess you could at least use the pedals for driving games once the gimmick wore off ;-)
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline itlnstln

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 09:24:33 »
The way that lady is getting after it on that Kinesis Freestyle or Goldtouch can't be good for you.

Offline bigpook

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 09:41:26 »
she looks like she is really getting into it.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 09:48:59 »
I can see where it would be good for the use Eclairz speaks of.  With the colors on the pedals, it looks like some kind of DDR or Guitar Hero controller.  It couldn't possibly be that fun to use.  She is probably laughing at how utterly horrible she is at using the device (or how stupid she looks using it).

You do the pointy-clickey, and you turn yourself around.  That's what it's all about!

Offline itlnstln

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 09:50:54 »
BTW, is it just me, or does the lady in the link have some fairly toned triceps?

Offline lowpoly

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 10:20:59 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17998
BTW, is it just me, or does the lady in the link have some fairly toned triceps?

Looks like it. She has to stabilize herself with her arms because she can't use her feet for that. She is fake typing and clinging to the desk instead.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Therac-25

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 12:13:18 »
So, if you have problems with RSI in your hands, you can then develop RSI in your legs?

Honestly, I wish eye tracking software would get to the point were you could just use your eyes as the cursor.
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline itlnstln

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 12:23:15 »
Quote from: Therac-25;18011
So, if you have problems with RSI in your hands, you can then develop RSI in your legs?

Honestly, I wish eye tracking software would get to the point were you could just use your eyes as the cursor.

It's either RSI with tradtional mice, or "foot-and-mouse" disease with this one.

*rimshot*

Offline wellington1869

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 01:09:37 »
what might be useful is a footboard for the modifiers (alt, control, shift, win, plus maybe backspace). That way you keep your fingers on home row even more of the time.  And exercise your legs a bit.
lowpoly, want to rig one of those up? :)

if there's room for more buttons (and if it makes ergonomic sense), then also foot pedals for controlling the music player (play/pause, for/back, volume/mute, and skype answer).

Wire in an ac adapter down there as part of the footboard, and you have foot-controlled switches to turn on/off your speakers and printer.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline lowpoly

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 05:05:57 »
There are midi pedals for organs:

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Eclairz

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 05:53:09 »
I still see footboard for use in certain secretary offices in the uk, but those were mainly for macros or special functions. The way the lady is using the footkeyboard and mouse is quite stupid body facing the footboard and the chest twisting to face the keyboard.

Normally the whole body is supposed to be facing one direction, so i imagine she is only clinging onto the desk because this is only to show it off.

I still believe that the way footboards are like however that this one brings nothing new to the table(or should i say floor) other than colour coded buttons and a foot mouse.

Now that i think of it a footmouse is totally stupid idea but instead a foot trackball, joystick or foot trackpad might be much much more interesting way to control the pc without needing to attach anything to the foot.

A good inteface should always allow the user to be stable though so at least one foot on the floor at all times.
RealForce 45g UK 88UB

Offline Eclairz

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 05:55:15 »
Quote from: Therac-25;18011

The issue with eye tracking software is that sooner or later eye strain will creep up you much faster, and putting more pressure on your eyes to do the work while your hands are wastefully doing nothing.

And the other issue is your subconsciously going to look at something you shouldn't be focussing on ;-)
RealForce 45g UK 88UB

Offline itlnstln

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 07:04:07 »
Until mindreading is fully developed, whatever you use for input will potentially develop RSI.  Although, some days, I feel like I have RSI in my brain.

Offline wellington1869

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 12:10:48 »
can a midi device be programmed to send the modifier keys?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 12:27:01 »
I think you can do this with GlovePIE:
http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie

Offline wellington1869

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 12:39:17 »
Quote from: Chloe;18177
I think you can do this with GlovePIE:
http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie

neat! that in a footpedal would be great...

Offline FKSSR

Foot Keyboard and mouse
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 09:35:39 »
I would think this would be good for a drummer or someone that wants to play drums to make use of the leg/foot strength and coordination drummers have.

However, I would be annoyed by it, I think.  I like to stretch my legs out sometimes and wiggle my feet (I even do it when I sleep, I've been told). :)
Add me on Steam | Twitter