Author Topic: Split keyboards (as in two discrete halves)  (Read 8037 times)

Offline NamelessPFG

Split keyboards (as in two discrete halves)
« on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 13:22:43 »
I've been thinking about these as a way to set up a more ergonomic desktop area. Instead of keeping my arms up and in front, I could just have them lying off to my sides while I type. It also frees up center space for a lot of other things, which is the particularly important trait given how many input devices I'd be dealing with, ALL of which I want within ergonomic reach.

I'd probably have to give up buckling springs in the process (unless I luck out and find one of those rare Model M15/13H6689s at a price I can afford), though, and I haven't had the chance to try any form of Cherry MX keyswitch to know what I'd like (though based on descriptions, I'd probably go for Blues or at least Browns if I can; most of the ones I know of use Blacks).

Most of the split keyboards I've seen are rather flat like conventional keyboards for each half (Model M15 included), but I know that one of you basically cut a Kinesis Advantage in half and reworked the whole thing to act like a split keyboard. (I'd especially like to see a three-piece Maltron with the center numpad being the third piece, but given that those are even more expensive than the Kinesis Advantage boards...)

Any advice here? I know I've seen more than a few here, but haven't noticed a dedicated thread for them (especially if they're lumped in with single-piece ergonomic keyboards like Microsoft's old Natural Keyboard).

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 13:28:47 »
So you want a central number/catch all keyboard section? Or is an additional layer on one of the halves acceptable?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 13:36:34 »
A way back someone posted a link to a mod someone made by cutting a keyboard in half and mounting them below his seat on both sides of his chair. It looked like a hell of a lot of work. If you want to try this, I think a more sensible approach would be to just buy two keyboards and plug them both in.

This way, if you find that it doesn't work for you, at least you still have two intact keyboards and you didn't spend tons of time and money on doing the mod. If it's right for you, then you can split the keyboard the second time around.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 14:01:32 »
Quote from: input nirvana;211017
So you want a central number/catch all keyboard section? Or is an additional layer on one of the halves acceptable?

Either way is fine. They just have to be discrete components that I can place well apart, probably on both sides of my chair. If there's a central component for a numpad, it'll probably sit on the desk, centered, easily reachable by either hand (never mind that the layout's meant for the right hand).

Quote from: hyperlinked;211020
A way back someone posted a link to a mod someone made by cutting a keyboard in half and mounting them below his seat on both sides of his chair. It looked like a hell of a lot of work. If you want to try this, I think a more sensible approach would be to just buy two keyboards and plug them both in.

This way, if you find that it doesn't work for you, at least you still have two intact keyboards and you didn't spend tons of time and money on doing the mod. If it's right for you, then you can split the keyboard the second time around.

That would be an interesting way to experiment...if all my keyboards weren't full-size monstrosities with numpads, especially my Model Ms. (And then I only have one PS/2 port and no PS/2-to-USB adapters.) I predict that the full-size aspect will get in the way more than I'd like, and a big problem I currently have with my desktop space is all the peripheral clutter that forces me to move stuff around for the sake of ergonomics. (In particular, I don't like having to shove my Model M way off to the left of my desk so I can put my stick and throttle in front, since I haven't built stands for them yet. It's a pain because I still usually have to reach over for some important inputs I don't have enough switches on the HOTAS for.)

I might have enough space under my chair to tuck most of the left-hand keyboard under, though. That mitigates most of the problem, though the right-hand keyboard will still jut out pretty far, especially with the numpad.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 14:08:36 »
The Kinesis Contoured has an embedded num pad in the right key well. Access is one key press away. If space or ergonomics are in any way an issue, that's the way to go.

I just knew that split keyboards would be good for me, and I was right. I'm very happy. I'm making a couple of them, look at my silly project in my sig, maybe you can find info you need, or I can help you.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 14:41:55 »
So you're the one who was working on the split Kinesis I mentioned earlier...how well does that contoured shape work? It's radical enough for me to want to try it, but I simply just don't have the money for it at the moment. (And when I do, I inevitably spend it on other things...being a picky "right input device for the job" type doesn't do wonders for one's wallet!)

Also, that pic with the chair and a couple of Datahands mounted just in front of the armrests is much like what I'm aiming for, only I probably can't have them that far forward or they'll get in the way of my ideal stick/throttle positioning. Currently thinking if the keyboard halves would work a bit farther back and lower, or possibly in a vertical orientation just outside the right/left of the stick and throttle. (Fortunately, the stick is of the force-sensing variety thanks to a mod, so I won't have to worry about it hitting the back of the right-hand keyboard half. More conventional deflecting sticks will probably sit on or near the center area of my desk, which should have plenty of free space if I follow through with this.)

It's quite tricky to get that balance between "normal computer workstation with keyboard and mouse in easy reach" and "combat flight simulator cockpit" just right...

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 17:06:55 »
I realize it is rubber dome, but if you get the kinesis freestyle with the longer tether and the right chair/chair attachment.  Ok, I was taking the chair thing on word of mouth, but finding a non DIY version isn't a quick search. It's a shame they don't offer a mechanical version of the freestyle.
I've always been a bit adverse/concerned about split keyboarding, but I've seen and touched the freestyle and aside from the domes, seems to solid with many applications.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 August 2010, 17:21:20 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline JBert

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 17:45:48 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;211014
Most of the split keyboards I've seen are rather flat like conventional keyboards for each half (Model M15 included), but I know that one of you basically cut a Kinesis Advantage in half and reworked the whole thing to act like a split keyboard.
The M15 can be configured in a lot of poses if you want it to; it has 2 sets of feet and has that brilliant hinge thing going for it. Of course, you do seem to know it's prohibitively expensive, heck, otherwise I'd would have had one myself.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 17:46:08 »
I have 2 Freestyles (Mac and PC) and think they are a very nice product. Definitely has merit. But I'm selling both of them since I am so thrilled with the Contoured.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 August 2010, 16:11:27 »
I just had an "Eureka!"/light bulb moment with how I might approach this.

Dual CH Products Multi-Function Panels or Ergodex DX1s. (Preferably the former for driver-related reasons.)

What concerns me is how huge the things are, but it does give me plenty of freedom to lay out the keys as I wish. IIRC, each panel/tablet/whatever supports 50 keys, though they're only bundled with 25 and you have to get the other 25 separately.

That, and it's still a flat surface (unlike a contoured Kinesis or Maltron), but at least the keys aren't rigidly laid out on said surface.

Offline JBert

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 August 2010, 19:21:57 »
I thought about it as well, I haven't been willing to risk it though due to the cost, the unknown type of switch and the fact that you get a completely flat surface (non-inclined).
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 05:39:13 »
Split Kinesis Contour Classic (advantage) keyboard mod