Author Topic: New-ish addict!  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Ethernic

New-ish addict!
« on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 10:25:06 »
I've been a casual lurker since I got my first mech last September. Since then I've gone through a few different boards trying to find my perfect layout and switch.. but I'm still not there yet. So far this is what I've tried:
  • Quickfire TK w/Cherry Browns
  • Ducky Shine 5 w/Cherry Browns
  • MK Disco w/KBT Browns
  • Magicforce 68 w/Outemu Blues
  • Ergodox w/ Cherry Blues
  • Tada68 w/Gateron Blacks
I still have the last 4 boards (in the process of unloading the Ergodox and Disco.) I've found the Magicforce to be perfect for work. I want to get a new one in black with possibly different switches (this was a $40 board that I just got to try out the layout.) I'm just not sure what switches I want. I love the feel of typing on these blues, but they're a little loud for my liking. I don't mind it all the time, in fact sometimes I like it, but something a little quieter would be nice.

I've found I don't really notice the tactile bump with browns and I've read that clears may be better, but I'm honestly a little worried about busting a switch when I swap keycaps. I did that with my Quickfire TK the very first time I took the caps off so it's always in the back of my mind now.

Typing on the Gateron blacks is actually pretty pleasant, but I find myself missing the tactile feedback I get with my Magicforce. Sometimes I swap in my work board just for a more satisfying feel when the wife isn't around so the noise doesn't bug her.

Having said all that -- I'm not sure what switch I want to try out next. I have a couple switch testers but I've found they don't accurately portray what it's like to actively use that switch. Only time on the board will really do that. Part of me wants to try Topre, just because, but again I'm not sure what to start with. I'm also slightly concerned about cap set availability, but I've admittedly not looked too far into it.

Speaking of caps, I only currently have two sets. DSA Dolch (on my work board) and a PBT double shot set from Massdrop on my Tada. Definitely a fan of DSA, but I've never tried GMK or SA or anything else really. I do have a set of GMK Carbon coming. I also have an Overcast set coming and just bought into the DSA Light Cycle GB. I'll have more sets than boards soon enough, so I guess I need more boards?

I'm debating on maybe a pok3r or anne pro, but I still get hung up on the actual switches.

Offline harjoat

Re: New-ish addict!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 14:23:09 »
Welcome :cool: , also if you are looking for a new keyboard I'd recommend a Plum84 topre clone board. Got mine a month or so ago but love it more than any of the other ones I have. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Plum84-electrostatic-capacitive-mechanical-keyboard-topre-clone-compact-gaming-keyboard-PBT-keycap-detachable-cable-84-mini/32598836635.html