Author Topic: GHpad FTW (10-Key Pad for GH60)  (Read 481705 times)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
Re: GHpad FTW (10-Key Pad for GH60)
« Reply #950 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 18:48:33 »
That solder mask has a bit of a half face/phantom of the opera thing going on. It kind of would have fit the Phantom. Are the markings for the diodes on that side visible at all? I guess one just has to double-check the orientations of the SMDs more carefully.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #951 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 19:21:06 »
That solder mask has a bit of a half face/phantom of the opera thing going on. It kind of would have fit the Phantom. Are the markings for the diodes on that side visible at all? I guess one just has to double-check the orientations of the SMDs more carefully.

Yeah, it's very unique/odd. You can see enough of the diode silkscreens to guess how the others are oriented. We will need a guide for where to place other components, though. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline regack

« Reply #952 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 19:32:27 »

Yeah, it's very unique/odd. You can see enough of the diode silkscreens to guess how the others are oriented. We will need a guide for where to place other components, though. :)

Wow, that's crazy, I have no idea what might have happened there.  Yeah, no way to place the components without a guide.  It looks like a nice curve though... Maybe you can find the center point, seems like it might be off the board... I was just thinking perhaps a decimal point got misplaced for some silkscreen item?  I didn't see that in any test render or anything. 

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #953 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 19:37:43 »
woah, is the pcb half black on the back? so weird  :D

I didn't generate my own gerber files, just passed them the ones regack generated.

I am also out of town, we can coordinate shipping when you're back  ;D

Offline regack

« Reply #954 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 19:39:08 »
49458-0

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #956 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 19:46:36 »
(Attachment Link)

Are the silkscreens for the diodes the correct orientation in this image?  :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #957 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 19:56:26 »
(Attachment Link)

They are the same as the 6-row version, so...

I'd say not

in memoriam

Offline regack

« Reply #958 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 19:58:55 »
(Attachment Link)

well, the markings are correct to electrically indicate anode/cathode... but not necessarily with respect to how the diodes themselves are marked by the manufacturer... I ordered some SMD LEDs... two different brands... they had the EXACT same markings on the bottom... but were opposite from each other... it was really annoying.

like this:
49460-0

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #959 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 20:10:05 »

(Attachment Link)

well, the markings are correct to electrically indicate anode/cathode... but not necessarily with respect to how the diodes themselves are marked by the manufacturer... I ordered some SMD LEDs... two different brands... they had the EXACT same markings on the bottom... but were opposite from each other... it was really annoying.

like this:
(Attachment Link)

Wow, that is annoying and makes things more complicated.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #960 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 22:45:38 »
Just want to point out to WhiskyTango and anyone else who got diodes from WhiskyTango. The sheets he sent me did in fact show that the band was to signify the cathode (-) end and not the anode (+) end.

Yep, that's what I was going off of when I placed mine backwards the first time... at any rate, there seems to be some non-uniformity as to how some smt diodes are marked. I think next time I am going to solder in just one and test it before I go farther, just to be sure.

And those PCBs look pretty cool I think. The lack of markings just adds to the challenge ;)
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #961 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 23:24:55 »
so I seem to be getting the same problem that defying had. I plugged in my GHpad and windows doesn't seem to be detecting it. It shows up as an unknown USB device. I tried running FLIP and DFU and both weren't able to detect my GHpad.

Edit: I don't know how and I don't know why.. but I'm missing C7. Is it possible that's why it's not working? If so, does anyone have a spare C7? Or is there a link to where I could get one?
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 December 2013, 23:58:58 by dragonxx21 »
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #962 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 10:42:32 »
If it hasn't been programmed yet, you need to updated the driver on the unrecognized device with the DFU driver from the Flip installation directory.  I've said it so many times...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #963 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 11:40:05 »
If it hasn't been programmed yet, you need to updated the driver on the unrecognized device with the DFU driver from the Flip installation directory.  I've said it so many times...

And sometimes I haven't even got that to work. I had to program my GH60 with dfu-programmer on linux. Couldn't get Windows to recognize it at all, even after uninstalling/reinstalling the Flip driver.

in memoriam

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #964 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 15:33:05 »
Honestly I wouldn't be posting here if I hadn't already tried that. I've tried FLIP as well as DFU-Programmer.

And sometimes I haven't even got that to work. I had to program my GH60 with dfu-programmer on linux. Couldn't get Windows to recognize it at all, even after uninstalling/reinstalling the Flip driver.

I guess I'll have have to try it on linux after then.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline regack

« Reply #965 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 20:01:24 »
I have a bunch of .1uF caps, but I don't know how long it would take to get to you...

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #966 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 20:24:40 »
I have a bunch of .1uF caps, but I don't know how long it would take to get to you...

I don't mind waiting. WhiskyTango said he could hook me up with a few so I think I'm good for now.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline regack

« Reply #967 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 20:28:13 »

I don't mind waiting. WhiskyTango said he could hook me up with a few so I think I'm good for now.

Ok.  I'm not sure if it will or won't work with that missing... or maybe not work right?  Could be why it's acting up.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #968 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 04:37:08 »

Ok.  I'm not sure if it will or won't work with that missing... or maybe not work right?  Could be why it's acting up.
I hope that's the problem. Worse case scenario is something blew up because the capacitor wasn't in. Hopefully not since it was one of the capacitors for the crystal.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline regack

« Reply #969 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 07:36:26 »

I hope that's the problem. Worse case scenario is something blew up because the capacitor wasn't in. Hopefully not since it was one of the capacitors for the crystal.

Those are C1 & C2 - C7 just happens to be nearby

Offline regack

« Reply #970 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 12:57:31 »
Ok, so I finally saw what everyone has already seen and I failed to see D: - anyway, I fixed the silkscreen on the SOD-123 diodes to indicate the line properly.  The anode/cathode indicator in the middle stayed the same, just the line moved to the other side where it should be.  Sorry about that.

fixed for both the 4x6 github files and 4x5 github files.

There's also an error with diode D5 (switch 5, the '0' key).  It works fine, you just have to install the diode backwards from all of the others.  I didn't quite catch this, since installed some of the diodes backwards at the bottom of the board  :'( ... only working on the 4x5 version did I catch it.  The silkscreen and whatnot is fixed in the posted github revisions.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 January 2014, 06:09:16 by regack »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #971 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 00:58:49 »
So... anyone got an ATmega32U4? Everywhere I'm looking that ships to Canada is out of stock.

While I'm at it if anyone has:

Molex 67503-1020 mini usb
ADTSMW69NVTR Tactile Switch (what is this even for?)
7M-16.000MAAJ-T crystal oscillator

I need those as well. I think I can order these but if anyone here has extras I thought I'd ask around first.

I love Elzy

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #972 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 07:39:53 »
I ordered all the parts minus the tactile switch and the atmega 32u4 off mouser just a couple days ago.

That switch and atmega 32u4 i got from digikey

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #973 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:33:47 »
^

ATmega32U4-AUR is in stock.

What's difference between AU and AUR? Part list says AU
I love Elzy

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #974 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:44:06 »
^

ATmega32U4-AUR is in stock.

What's difference between AU and AUR? Part list says AU

It's packed in a different tray/reel, not suitable for pick and place manufacturing at a PCB fab.

For our purposes, it's exactly the same.

in memoriam

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #975 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:47:27 »
oh ffs I just ordered AU on back order, estimate ship on 14th. RIP I'm dumb ^_^

It cost $30 shipped for the rest of the 4 parts I needed :\ regardless.. can't wait to build this thing.
I love Elzy

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #976 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 14:26:36 »
finally back home yesterday, guess what I got in the mail!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #977 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 15:03:42 »
^ Me still waiting on some stuff :(
I love Elzy

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #978 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 15:13:05 »

the best thing to do is forget about it then when/if it shows up you can be excited

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #979 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 16:57:12 »

the best thing to do is forget about it then when/if it shows up you can be excited
It's so true!
And pray, lots of pray!
I do pray to my postman every single day!
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #980 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 15:40:00 »
jd back yet?  :)

looking forward to building a 4x5  :D

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #981 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 22:48:48 »
Got my capacitors in from WhiskyTango and soldered them in. IT WORKS! Although I don't know how to get the LEDs working, do I need to actually put it in the firmware to get them to work? And if so, how do I do so with metalliqaz's easy firmware?

I'd really like to thank everyone who's helped me out with making the GHpad. It is technically the first group buy I've been in and it's been a really positive experience. Thanks to, TFR/Regack/MOZ and everyone else involved in design/distribution as well as Halverson and Kravlin for selling/giving me that awesome miami stuff, WhiskyTango for passing along some parts that I needed, LONGZILLA for being a sick secret santa and everyone who helped answer questions that I had and helped troubleshoot.

Pictures of the thing:

Keyboards Owned:

Offline Pac Caps

• Its almost a pallindrome
« Reply #982 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 22:51:15 »
Got my capacitors in from WhiskyTango and soldered them in. IT WORKS! Although I don't know how to get the LEDs working, do I need to actually put it in the firmware to get them to work? And if so, how do I do so with metalliqaz's easy firmware?

I'd really like to thank everyone who's helped me out with making the GHpad. It is technically the first group buy I've been in and it's been a really positive experience. Thanks to, TFR/Regack/MOZ and everyone else involved in design/distribution as well as Halverson and Kravlin for selling/giving me that awesome miami stuff, WhiskyTango for passing along some parts that I needed, LONGZILLA for being a sick secret santa and everyone who helped answer questions that I had and helped troubleshoot.

Pictures of the thing:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Sexy :thumb:

Want to be a cap maker

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #983 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 23:06:57 »
The flash on my camera doesn't do it justice, but my room lighting is too low in the corner of my room for a nice well lit picture :P oh well.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #984 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 01:38:24 »
Looks great, specially with that purple cable.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #985 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 02:24:43 »
Yeah, there was a darker purple that I didn't see until after I ordered this one, but it still turned out well.

P.S. So, how would I go about getting the LEDs to work? Also, how can I change the firmware on it? I tried using FLIP but it isn't connecting to the USB. Do I have to press the reset button?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #986 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 02:31:42 »

Pictures of the thing:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

These are amazing! Id love a numpad with removable USB Cord and full time arrows..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #987 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:58:58 »

Pictures of the thing:

These are amazing! Id love a numpad with removable USB Cord and full time arrows..

Totally overrated....  :-X

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #988 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 09:11:49 »
Totally overrated....  :-X

I'm guessing you still haven't got yours? For what it's worth, I never got around to building mine, even though I got the first beta going along with TFR. Mine was sent to my SS, who hasn't logged in since 19th Dec.

Offline regack

« Reply #989 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 09:16:04 »
Yeah, there was a darker purple that I didn't see until after I ordered this one, but it still turned out well.

P.S. So, how would I go about getting the LEDs to work? Also, how can I change the firmware on it? I tried using FLIP but it isn't connecting to the USB. Do I have to press the reset button?

Where'd you get that cable... I wants one...

Try hitting reset to change the ATMEGA into bootloader mode, I don't think it defaults there.

From FLIP you'll then make sure to change to the atmega32u4, then select USB.  You might have to update the drivers to get it to see everything. 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #990 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 11:09:02 »
So is anyone actively using a GHPad? How's it working out for you?

I ran across my case the other day packing up some other stuff. :(

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #991 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 11:21:44 »
not right now, but I will be after I get my phantom operational again. Both of my TKLs are down right now.

So ray, did you just never get your PCB? that sucks

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #992 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 11:23:24 »
not right now, but I will be after I get my phantom operational again. Both of my TKLs are down right now.

So ray, did you just never get your PCB? that sucks

JD will get to it eventually, I hope, he's a busy guy. 

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #993 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 17:47:55 »

Where'd you get that cable... I wants one...

Try hitting reset to change the ATMEGA into bootloader mode, I don't think it defaults there.

From FLIP you'll then make sure to change to the atmega32u4, then select USB.  You might have to update the drivers to get it to see everything.
I got the cable made by TFR. It's nice right? :D
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #994 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 18:51:31 »
Hey everyone. I'm getting some extra cash for my birthday and would love to try this out as a little hobby and intro to soldering (as well as acting as an extension to my TKL in case I need a numpad for some reason).

As far as I know there are not any group buys going on, so I will have to purchase the PCB myself or find someone who is willing to sell one. Is there anyone I should get in contact with besides phatdood9 (who just ordered a batch)?

I would also like to confirm that this http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38963.msg1157872#msg1157872 is the correct parts list to order from mouser/digikey (in addition to the switches and keycaps).

Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #995 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 15:47:54 »
found some pcbs in the mail today, thanks JD

looks like the manufacturer had a hiccup on the back, but it should function okay

for the 4x5, this is the most recent:

will be a couple weeks before I have the chance to solder everything up

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #996 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 14:04:48 »
Well I'm not 100% sure whether those resistors in the last photo are the correct direction. I have them in on a board using the opposite convention with the stripe and its working out.

Anyone using hasu's firmware? The bottom row seems to have some issues, but strangely enough if I load a 4x6 layout into the 4x5, the bottom row works (equivalent to the 2nd to bottom row on the 4x6)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #997 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 14:27:13 »
Resistors have no polarity, so it shouldn't matter unless you meant diodes.

And, I too think, regack has got the polarity/convention slightly wrong, the bar is _ALWAYS_ on the cathode end, in the image above, the bar is on the anode end, which I would say is wrong.

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #998 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 14:39:11 »
so tired, yes I meant the diodes

I think its a firmware issue

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #999 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 14:46:57 »
Resistors have no polarity, so it shouldn't matter unless you meant diodes.

And, I too think, regack has got the polarity/convention slightly wrong, the bar is _ALWAYS_ on the cathode end, in the image above, the bar is on the anode end, which I would say is wrong.

regack posted about this earlier and said he fixed the problem, but I think those PCBs phatdood has were made before regack fixed it. See below

Ok, so I finally saw what everyone has already seen and I failed to see D: - anyway, I fixed the silkscreen on the SOD-123 diodes to indicate the line properly.  The anode/cathode indicator in the middle stayed the same, just the line moved to the other side where it should be.  Sorry about that.

fixed for both the 4x6 github files and 4x5 github files.

There's also an error with diode D5 (switch 5, the '0' key).  It works fine, you just have to install the diode backwards from all of the others.  I didn't quite catch this, since installed some of the diodes backwards at the bottom of the board  :'( ... only working on the 4x5 version did I catch it.  The silkscreen and whatnot is fixed in the posted github revisions.