Author Topic: [IC] JUKEBOX | Round 2 | Ordering Complete  (Read 159715 times)

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
livingspeedbump is doing this the right way, IMHO. He's asked for and listened to advice, and implemented nearly ever suggestion I've made to improve the keyset to be either more "standard" or more compatible, and striking a balance between kit sizes/cost and the MOQ concerns. He's also not rushing this to GB or fixated on how fulfilment will be achieved.

I'm cleaning up my Inkscape mockup template so he can use this to produce mockups in future, that look a bit closer to the real deal:

100496-0

Offline wlhlm

• ~
livingspeedbump is doing this the right way, IMHO. He's asked for and listened to advice, and implemented nearly ever suggestion I've made to improve the keyset to be either more "standard" or more compatible, and striking a balance between kit sizes/cost and the MOQ concerns. He's also not rushing this to GB or fixated on how fulfilment will be achieved.

I'm cleaning up my Inkscape mockup template so he can use this to produce mockups in future, that look a bit closer to the real deal:

(Attachment Link)

That looks awesome! Nice job. :thumb:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter

(Attachment Link)

Holy crap! This looks amazing! Even this mock up will be good to show the Massdrop guys. I think it will be great if it really looks different/better than the other mockups right now. Very very nice! Thanks :)

And thanks for the kind works as well! Really do wan't this to end up being a really good set and you've been a huge, huge, huge help.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Absolutely! Will add it later today :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Doing a Reply so everyone sees this.

Massdrop has said they are very interested and want to do this drop!

Good news for all! So details with SP still need to be worked out, along with timing it to drop when there isn't another big SA drop like Retro going on, this gives everyone a chance to recover their wallets and not have to decide between two sets, instead you can just buy both ;)

Offline rawkus

The new render really makes your set come to life!  :thumb:

Offline wlhlm

• ~

Good news for all! So details with SP still need to be worked out, along with timing it to drop when there isn't another big SA drop like Retro going on, this gives everyone a chance to recover their wallets and not have to decide between two sets, instead you can just buy both ;)
Sounds great! :cool:

Sorry, I asked before, but what about turquoise and red 7u spacebars?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
They are coming! I'm slowly getting the new style renders up :)

Offline wlhlm

• ~
Work Log / Currently Working On...
  • Still finalizing non-standard child deals and figuring out if they should be combined or individual. Combined means more likely to tip, yet more expensive. Thoughts?
I'd make fewer bigger sets to raise the chance of them meeting the MOQ, because I see this set not being as popular as Granite for example which allowed for many child deals (what a bummer). I hope that it's possible to get quotes from SP on the sets to keep costs reasonable.

I wonder how Massdrop handles the MOQ of child deals at all since their system only allows for the MOQ of the main set and all the child-sets are counted as variations of the main set. (that's why Granite has such a large number for example).
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2015, 04:27:11 by wlhlm »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Yeah I'm still waiting to hear back from that about those types of logistics. I'm pretty prepared to do either, but the general consensus seems to be Bigger Kits = Better even though it is slightly more expensive. The difference between $10 and $15 bucks for a kit you need isn't that bad, especially if it comes with extra keys. The color mod/novelty kit can really be scaled accordingly with as many or few color variations as possible.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
All the new renders are up, including the new color mod/novelties pack.

Germanic/Slavic/Nordic kit added, which is brand new.

That being said I know some kits aren't shown that were suggested (smaller 40% support/ortholinear support) and I'm still getting mock ups done of them, though I'm not sure why will tip. Due to the sculpted profile its not quite as easy to make kits that cover a lot of sets all at once.

If the base set does well enough I'm strongly considering doing a GB for these from here though. Feel free to post/pm me with any questions/suggestions still.

Offline xerxes

In the nordic/slavic/DE kit, there seems to be an error?

Judging by this http://www.qpad.se/uploads2/MK80/QPADMK80-NORDIC-Layout.png,

[ Å ] should be R2, [? +] should be R1,  [ * ' ] should be R3, [ Æ ] and [ Ø ]  should also be R3. (=> only [ ALT GR], [ SHIFT ], [  <> ], [ , ; ], [ . : ], [ ^ " ] is R4)

On another note, this looks so so promising. I've been looking for something like this; it feels just like christmas.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2015, 17:10:08 by xerxes »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Thanks! Will fix that by tonight! Im glad you like the set!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
That red spacebar looks really nice
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Any chance the ISO kit could include the 4 key with the € symbol?

added.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter

Sounds great! :cool:

Sorry, I asked before, but what about turquoise and red 7u spacebars?

Added red to the 7u kit. The turquoise one just didn't look nearly as good and we decided to cut down on extra costs and help people get the most bang for their buck.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
In the nordic/slavic/DE kit, there seems to be an error?

Judging by this http://www.qpad.se/uploads2/MK80/QPADMK80-NORDIC-Layout.png,

[ Å ] should be R2, [? +] should be R1,  [ * ' ] should be R3, [ Æ ] and [ Ø ]  should also be R3. (=> only [ ALT GR], [ SHIFT ], [  <> ], [ , ; ], [ . : ], [ ^ " ] is R4)

On another note, this looks so so promising. I've been looking for something like this; it feels just like christmas.

I fixed it based on the picture you gave me. Doing a bit more research just to double check, you may want to as well!

Offline wlhlm

• ~
Maybe I've overseen it, but I think your German/... ISO kit misses the R4 key with underscore and dash (left of right shift):

Offline wlhlm

• ~
Little nitpick on the renders:
  • R4 row on the German/Nordic/S.Slavic Kit render is misaligned
  • R3 label on the color modifier render is misaligned

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Thanks for pointing those out!

Yeah, the renders still aren't perfect, I'm kind of shelling them out in a moderately unfinished state just so I can get feedback on their content! I want to make sure the Rows/Keys are all correct, once that is finished I'll do one really polished run of the renders.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Maybe I've overseen it, but I think your German/... ISO kit misses the R4 key with underscore and dash (left of right shift):
Show Image

Ah yeah, I'll add the dash to the key!

Offline Vinnnie

Or I can just buy mulitple jukebox sets  :thumb: I swear I had a dream about already owning this set last night...

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
I'm looking to make that dream come true much sooner than later  :thumb:

Offline bcredbottle

Have you considered doing this through JTK? It looks like price-wise, they're kicking everyone's butt ($58 for the 104-key debut set).

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Not this one. The Sculpted SA was one of the few "non-negotiable" aspects of this set, and that is a SP exclusive.

I realize there are quite a few right now, though the community does also love their SA keycaps. That being said this whole kit is based off a 50's typewriter and those higher profile keys really enhance the look and feel, which in turn enhances this set. Also, this is so far along that changing a profile now would delay the project for a very long time. Massdrop is on board, talks with SP are happening, so...basically not possible. Their pricing is great, totally agree, but my whole vision for this set would be compromised if I switched now.

Now, I've seen other sets where people were making SA profile sets based off of games, which was a little confusing to me. That is one of the cases where I would definitely look into/use a different profile. SA is pretty much just for typing.

In the future would I be interested in doing something through JTK? Absolutely. Could this set even be run as a JTK set one day? Perhaps, I wouldn't be against it if there was interest in the future. I don't create these these sets and want to "control" them, I really just do it for the community. I hope that was an acceptable and understandable answer.

Offline bcredbottle

Not this one. The Sculpted SA was one of the few "non-negotiable" aspects of this set, and that is a SP exclusive.

I realize there are quite a few right now, though the community does also love their SA keycaps. That being said this whole kit is based off a 50's typewriter and those higher profile keys really enhance the look and feel, which in turn enhances this set. Also, this is so far along that changing a profile now would delay the project for a very long time. Massdrop is on board, talks with SP are happening, so...basically not possible. Their pricing is great, totally agree, but my whole vision for this set would be compromised if I switched now.

Now, I've seen other sets where people were making SA profile sets based off of games, which was a little confusing to me. That is one of the cases where I would definitely look into/use a different profile. SA is pretty much just for typing.

In the future would I be interested in doing something through JTK? Absolutely. Could this set even be run as a JTK set one day? Perhaps, I wouldn't be against it if there was interest in the future. I don't create these these sets and want to "control" them, I really just do it for the community. I hope that was an acceptable and understandable answer.

That makes sense. I appreciate the response.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Of course! Thank you for asking and throwing out ideas. If I didn't have a strong reason I'd very much consider it.

That being said I'm very curious as to how JTK plays out. I hope it lives up to what we are all expecting it to be. So far they look like very nice caps.

Offline IMBoddy

Just got 200$ in overtime ready to buy 2 sets of everything, one to keep and one in case someone steals the first set.
 :thumb:

Offline Mr. Perfect

There was a rumor that SP was making a row 4 SA shift key mold late last year, did that never happen?

So SP never made good with row 4 shift molds?
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Not that I am aware of.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Not that I am aware of.

I'm really glad you enjoy this! It's been a heap of work, but I think it'll totally be worth it when I see it on peoples keyboards :)

Man, you must have some crazy nerds where you live if you have to fear for your keycaps getting stolen  :p Though I'll probably buy 2 as well, I'd like to do one 60% with the red mod kit and one TKL with the standard kit. I've got a POK3R just sitting around with no aftermarket keycaps on it and it's driving me nuts. It needs more personality.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
This set is looking better every time I look in on this thread!

Can't wait for this one to go live.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
This set is looking better every time I look in on this thread!

Can't wait for this one to go live.

Thanks a heap! I should have an update with some sort of tentative schedule early next week!

Offline IMBoddy

I'm ready.....Brown switches instead of blue to be nice to coworkers. but blue numpad when things get crazy. But when a paper or project is due I plan on buying a pok3r blue switch with Danger Zone keycaps for the "Big Guns"
TLDR Browns (Jukebox) playing cool with the guys, Blues (Danger Zone)when its time to go to war.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2015, 14:41:32 by IMBoddy »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
I like the way you think  :thumb:

Offline Kaiser_Bill

• Drank enough whiskey to float a battleship around
Hey were you gonna add in a 1.75u shift, FN keys, or some 1u blue winkeys to this keyset?
Leopold FC660C - Rosewill RK-9000v2

Offline john2x

Re: [IC] "JUKEBOX" a 50's Vintage/Retro-Futurism Sculpted SA Keycaps
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 01:01:24 »

What is Retrobright?

Sorry, I meant Retroblight :) Penumbra's younger brother. It's got a similar feel to this set, so not much point in getting both.
-

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Whoa, interesting.

A bit too many colors for my taste. I love how Penumbra has some very subtle color (it is on my main keyboard right now actually ;)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
That's a cool keycaps set! Good luck with the GB.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Hey were you gonna add in a 1.75u shift, FN keys, or some 1u blue winkeys to this keyset?

Yeah, I'm adding those today!

Offline jsbradley7

Looking forward to this set. It's actually my catalyst for joining geekhack.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Looking forward to this set. It's actually my catalyst for joining geekhack.

Well I'm glad you like the set so much. That's a huge compliment, thank you!

Offline My_Thoughts

The new renders look really good :)

I'm not sure if you know, but the ISO set is missing a little.  The ¬ key should also have ¦ on it, and the 4 key is missing $

http://www.quietpc.com/images/products/matias-quiet-pro-keyboards-10-large.jpg

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Thanks! Yeah, I am aware but don't want to go with the cluttered look of it. A lot of sets will simply include either/or as a legend to keep the uniform look when possible. Most people seem to prefer it that way.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Just added JD40/Planck/Atomic/Ergodox support, but they will not be available until after the first run. When the new PMK store gets its overhaul I will make them all available. There hasn't been any huge interest in any of them, but thanks to the way the new store will work it would be silly not to make it as compatible as possible. It should also be noted that these kits will all be R3. This is to make it as customizable and affordable as possible.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
Just added JD40/Planck/Atomic/Ergodox support, but they will not be available until after the first run. When the new PMK store gets its overhaul I will make them all available. There hasn't been any huge interest in any of them, but thanks to the way the new store will work it would be silly not to make it as compatible as possible. It should also be noted that these kits will all be R3. This is to make it as customizable and affordable as possible.
I like your intentions. Though we don't really know how the conditions for the pre-production will be. I guess there are going to be some limitations considering the risk they are taking.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Yup, indeed. Though for kits like this they will probably have to pass some sort of interest check. I will update the op to mention that.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
added a form to the top of the op. please fill it out if you have time to let me know if you are satisfied with the child deals or require additional ones to be compatible with what you have.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
Nevermind
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2015, 16:09:38 by wlhlm »

Offline Data

Your kits look good.  Nice job man.

One note on the Planck/Atomic kit (realizing that it will be down the road a ways): Your "High" and "Low" keys can really say anything you want.  I think the stock nomenclature is "Raise" and "Lower" on those keys -- the logic being that you're raising or lowering the programmable layers on the board.  I used High and Low on my Danger Zone kit because it felt more in line with the aviation theme (high altitude, low altitude) and because those legends fit the space on a 1u cap, but it's not remotely standard.  I've also seen "Up" and "Down" on those keys.  Feel free to use whatever fits best with your theme.  If you still prefer High and Low, that's totally cool too.

If the comments so far are any indication this set seems like it will be a runaway success.   :thumb: