Author Topic: Windows dvorak layout with QWERTY modifiers?  (Read 3257 times)

Offline pseudolobster

Windows dvorak layout with QWERTY modifiers?
« on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 23:48:39 »
Hi guys,

Long time since I've been here, but I figured you'd know better than anyone else... I've recently reinstalled windows on my work computer, and I used to have a layout in the windows "regional settings" control panel for "Dvorak with qwerty modifiers", which remaps ctrl+c, ctrl+v, ctrl+z etc to their qwerty equivalents... I have absolutely no idea where I downloaded that layout, and google has failed me (it comes up with autohotkey scripts, which probably work, but it's really not ideal). Anyone here know where I can download that layout again?

Offline Viett

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 15:44:08 »
I've never actually tried this, but I think this is what you're looking for:

http://code.google.com/p/dvorak-qwerty/
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline pseudolobster

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 16:42:10 »
That's along the lines of what I'm looking for, and I'm sure it'll probably do the trick, but what I was looking for is an actual windows keyboard layout, which uses the windows language bar etc. It's a reg file or something, which actually adds an extra layout to windows' own keyboard driver.

There are lots of different programs I can run that will accomplish the same thing, but it means I need to keep that program running at all times, taking up resources, etc. Those programs work by intercepting all keypresses and remapping them as need be.. This is a terrible way of doing it really.. It adds lag, reduces responsiveness, and if anything goes wrong it can interfere with programs and games, possibly even losing the ability to type till you reboot.

I'm not looking for a resident program you run on startup, I'm looking for an actual windows keyboard layout that lives in windows' own control panel.

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 14:30:53 »
There's a program from Microsoft that allows you to create your own layouts from scratch. I don't remember the name off the top of my head, and I can't be be bothered to search for it right now, but I'm sure there's somebody here that knows what I'm talking about. With that program, you can set it so the modifier key layer is different than the normal layer. I used it a long time ago to accomplish the same thing, but I never bothered to use the layout on my new computer.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 July 2010, 14:34:42 »
Quote from: Zalusithix;201039
There's a program from Microsoft that allows you to create your own layouts from scratch. I don't remember the name off the top of my head, and I can't be be bothered to search for it right now, but I'm sure there's somebody here that knows what I'm talking about.

MKLC

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3