Author Topic: About G400s and CM Alcor  (Read 6676 times)

Offline myuu

About G400s and CM Alcor
« on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 04:08:32 »
I would like to buy one of these both mices.

My previous experiences with SS Kinzu and Xai were bad. They started double-clicking and misclicking very early and insurance didn't cover the problem. I don't wanna encounter similar problems with my new mouse. Anyone got any experiences with these mice?

Because of it's design Alcor seems more user-friendly. G400s seem a little too big and sturdy for a gaming mouse. Not versatile. Whilst Alcor has the design of IME 3.0 the legendary. So guys... What do you think?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: About G400s and CM Alcor
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 10:09:32 »
I had a G400 for exactly one afternoon. Immediately resold it. The right-side bump made my pinkie hurt (YMMV) and the buttons (and wheel) were utter garbage—the tiny dome switches under all but primary buttons weren't acceptable.

Any mouse will have problems with clicking sooner or later. It's only important to make sure you can get inside and replace the switches easily.

I can recommend the Alcor. It isn't perfect, but there's a solid feel to it. Replacing switches is very straightforward. The wheel is one of the best in the market IME. Keep in mind that it's slightly smaller than the MS IME 3.0 though.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 19:41:36 »
I can recommend the Alcor. It isn't perfect, but there's a solid feel to it. Replacing switches is very straightforward. The wheel is one of the best in the market IME.

Although I agree with your statement relating to switch replacement BUT your Scroll Wheel category of placing the Alcor way above everyone's scroll wheel, seems a bit too fantasy like for me.

The Roccat series input devices still have the BEST scrollers in the business and they work under quite nasty conditions with ease.  Never had a single Roccat model fail due to having a faulty scroll wheel compared to all their competitors, which routinely fail without haste.

Offline 7Teku

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 22:43:01 »
It depends on what shape you're looking for. The Alcor and the G400s have somewhat different shapes. G400s has a lip on the right side which bothers many people who've tried it. It also depends on what sens you use. Alcor only has ~3.08 m/s and the G400s goes up to ~4.5 m/s.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 02:35:33 »
I can recommend the Alcor. It isn't perfect, but there's a solid feel to it. Replacing switches is very straightforward. The wheel is one of the best in the market IME.

Although I agree with your statement relating to switch replacement BUT your Scroll Wheel category of placing the Alcor way above everyone's scroll wheel, seems a bit too fantasy like for me.

The Roccat series input devices still have the BEST scrollers in the business and they work under quite nasty conditions with ease.  Never had a single Roccat model fail due to having a faulty scroll wheel compared to all their competitors, which routinely fail without haste.
I have 5+ *modern* Roccat mice with the new wheel design, and while I agree they're great, the Alps wheel in Alcor is quieter (i.e., is consistently quiet, when scrolling up, unlike the roccats') and feels smoother with less pronounced steps, which is something I prefer as well.

The downside is that CM Storm seems to have a bit inconsistent QC. I've had mice come with a disconnected cable inside, a poorly aligned wheel and stuff like that.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 13:08:23 »
I LUV G400
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline jevvix

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 20:02:35 »
I would be careful with the G400s. The cable is extremely flimsy and sooner or later it will fail, like mine did after 1 year of ownership. Logitech denied my warranty claim despite having a 3 year warranty.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 20:19:27 »
Logitech denied my warranty claim despite having a 3 year warranty.

Maybe because you posted on your Facebook account, a video showing you lassoing a horse with your G400s, at full gallop  :p .

Offline jevvix

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 09:57:14 »
Logitech denied my warranty claim despite having a 3 year warranty.

Maybe because you posted on your Facebook account, a video showing you lassoing a horse with your G400s, at full gallop  :p .

Aw crap that was supposed to be a private video!

Offline sintklaas73

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 13:20:59 »
They claim usb issues were solved with the g400s...didn't they?!

Offline starscream

• I have nothing to say
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 13:33:05 »
I've had my original g400 for years
Only complaint is that it does cramp my pinky finger sometimes, like someone else in the thread said.

The CM mouse looks like it might be more comfortablem, but I can't comment since I've never tried it.

I wouldn't even consider the g400s myseld, just becuase of how ugly the new design is
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 February 2016, 13:42:18 by starscream »

Poker                                 HHKB Pro 2