Author Topic: [Interest Check - CLOSED] Doubleshot Novelty Keys [ORDER THREAD UP]  (Read 64753 times)

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
[Interest Check - CLOSED] Doubleshot Novelty Keys [ORDER THREAD UP]
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 22:41:39 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;437042
Well there you go.

So are you going to melt them down into one giant sc2 doubleshot or actually distribute them like you promised?

I should probably distribute them all out, otherwise everyone will think I'm like a bad person or something. Can't have that!

Although, I am going to get my grubby hands on every key while I cover my entire table with them to make some sort of SC2 related artwork.

JK I'll wash my hands lol.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 22:43:50 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;437091
I should probably distribute them all out, otherwise everyone will think I'm like a bad person or something. Can't have that!

Although, I am going to get my grubby hands on every key while I cover my entire table with them to make some sort of SC2 related artwork.

JK I'll wash my hands lol.

As long as you take a picture... and leave my set outside of your artistic exploits.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline wongster

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 00:04:07 »
Both versions of the awesome face, nuclear, lotus, and star wars keys are of interest to me. Woot!
CM Storm Cherry MX Red Tenkeyless - Black Engraved PBT, SC2, Novelty, RGBY, Red Esc Doubleshots
Leopold Cherry MX Brown Tenkeyless - Stock
IBM Model M #1390120 - March 11 1986

Offline Striketh

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 01:16:32 »
I'd love for the look of disapproval key to be a backspace key in red. It's rather fitting. I'd even be willing to pay extra if I was the only one getting it.

Also, yellow awesome face is good. The red just doesn't look right. I'll get both anyway, though, just in case...

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 01:18:13 »
Quote from: Striketh;437152
I'd love for the look of disapproval key to be a backspace key in red. It's rather fitting.

Also, yellow awesome face is good. The red just doesn't look right. I'll get both anyway, though, just in case...

Sorry sir but there will not be a Backspace of the LOD... unless you want to pay for 25 on your own? :D.

Offline Striketh

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 02:23:12 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;437154
Sorry sir but there will not be a Backspace of the LOD... unless you want to pay for 25 on your own? :D.

D:

Maybe 24 other people will take an interest in it? *hopeful* lol

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 02:28:45 »
Quote from: Striketh;437172
D:

Maybe 24 other people will take an interest in it? *hopeful* lol

Because of how small of a legend it is I don't think it would be even worthwhile to include in the OP. However, you are free to buy the 'esc' version which WILL be included in the buy.

Offline Striketh

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 02:33:42 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;437174
Because of how small of a legend it is I don't think it would be even worthwhile to include in the OP. However, you are free to buy the 'esc' version which WILL be included in the buy.

Yeah, I'm getting it regardless. I'll probably just end up spending a bit more for a custom backspace key from somewhere else down the road.

Offline kraise

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 02:52:38 »
Pretty stoked about these keys! Just wanted to add that personally I'm more interested in the yellow version of the awesome face versus the red. However, I'd probably get both or either one if it came down to it.
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch Linear R TKL | Matias Tactile Pro 3 LE Silver & Black | Matias Quiet Pro

Offline sinis

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 02:56:02 »
Most of those keys are part of Groupbuy R4. The rest can be included. Work together with 7bit, not against him!

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 02:57:23 »
Quote from: sinis;437185
Most of those keys are part of Groupbuy R4. The rest can be included. Work together with 7bit, not against him!

Wait, what?

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 03:12:43 »
Lol.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 03:24:06 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;437191
Lol.

Thanks for the input as always Dave.

Offline sinis

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 06:12:33 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;437187
Wait, what?

Get me right, I like the work you put in those groupbuys for the community.

I will try to explain my concerns.
First the shamrock key. Then the awesome and a few other keys. Now the RGB keys, are now in a separate groupbuy. Maybe there will follow even more. The shamrock ended in 150 keys being ordered, currently shipped.
If you sum the rest of these keys up:

awesome
some other keys like tux, ...
look of disaproval
RGB kit

and assume those get like 100 orders each, lets say 50 orders for the RGB kit. This makes a sum, of lets say, round about 600 keycaps. Together with the shamrock this is 750.
Groupbuy Round 4 is getting a price reduction if it has like 10000 keycaps.
Nearly 10% of what R4 needs for this is now in separate groupbuys. This is conterproductive for R4.

Second thought:
If most of the orders for awesomeface, look of disapproval et cetera, will be placed in the different groupbuys. Then those keys might not get enough orders in R4 to even be possible in R4. Which has two impacts. Its conterproductive for R4. And people should then order in this separate groupbuys to get their desired keys.

Not to mention the price goes down in R4 for every keycap so the number of stuff you get for the same money can increase. The shipping costs are also a big concern for people outside of USA.

And if more and more orders are drawn out of R4, it will slow the process for R4.

edit:
To end, let me quote 7bit:
Quote from: 7bit;437241
.. you can't just pick the most popular stuff and leave the rest to Round4!
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 October 2011, 06:25:31 by sinis »

Offline Tanooki

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 06:42:43 »
I agree ^^

People are just impatient and cant seem to wait.

Offline sinis

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 07:02:14 »
In other words:

I like the yellow key with the smiley on it. I will start an interest check and a groupbuy rightaway.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 07:59:46 »
My understanding is that separate group buys is how things have always been done on geekhack. Round 3 was the first and so far only megabuy.  It started off as just another round of the original 2-shot replacement buy, but when it became huge enough to hit SP's total volume discount it started absorbing other, unrelated buys.  That was fantastic, but it also bloated the buy to the point that it became a nightmare to administer and distribute and took an unprecedented six months to complete.

Sinis, you've been posting snide remarks in several threads about how impatient people are being by not waiting for R4. But we're just doing what has always been done on GH. R4 should be primarily about full sets of replacement keys.  Yes it would be cheaper to do a year's worth of group buys in one order, but cheaper isn't always better.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 October 2011, 08:08:30 by hashbaz »

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 08:07:12 »
Quote from: sinis;437236

and assume those get like 100 orders each, lets say 50 orders for the RGB kit. This makes a sum, of lets say, round about 600 keycaps. Together with the shamrock this is 750.
Groupbuy Round 4 is getting a price reduction if it has like 10000 keycaps.
Nearly 10% of what R4 needs for this is now in separate groupbuys. This is conterproductive for R4.

Thanks for that, but to be honest:

Round 4 needs a volume of at least 30,000 key caps ( better 40 to 50,000) to pull all those extra kits (like the language specific kits) in, but even if there are 1000 of these single keys, they do not really contribute. Only 10 Standard kits are more than 1000 keys.

However, the other arguments are true, there might be the chance that you will not get an Awesome modifier matching RETRO style in Round 4.

But I don't care, because I'm only interested in keys with text-labels on them.
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 08:23:13 »
Quote from: ripster;435293
I'd like a LOD with the right orientation.

ಠ_ಠ

Quote from: noodles256;436040
i want dem star wars keys

Quote from: Striketh;437176
Yeah, I'm getting it regardless. I'll probably just end up spending a bit more for a custom backspace key from somewhere else down the road.

You could always use the Esc key for your DEL key...
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 08:24:24 »
Striketh:  You could always put the ESC key in place of your DEL...
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
G80-11900.

Offline sinis

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 11:30:53 »
Appreciate your answers.

I understand your points. We see some things different though. I respect that.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 14:44:05 »
Quote from: sinis;437236

I will try to explain my concerns....
edit:
To end, let me quote 7bit:

While I think the answers of Hashbaz and 7bit sort of encompass my own thoughts on the matter I do not think it would be fair to you, Sinis, to leave it at that.

To skip straight to the point: I completely agree with you that this buy is taking away from the strength of GB4. Plain and simple that is spot on. However, I also feel that this buy is only doing a little bit more than what has been done in the past in terms of breaking off. If the past three months are examined we can see that the following buys have been diverted from GB4:

• Shamrock
  • VIM
  • Starcraft2
  • RGB (Aggiejy)
  • Portal (Added to GB4 after)
  • A new RGB (Hashbaz)

All of the previously listed buys, when looked at in conjunction with the one in which we are having this discussion about now, take away from the overall strength of 7bit's Round Four. The justification for these buys, however, comes from two things: either consciously or sub-consciously from the need for one thing: micro transactions and from the desire for faster results.

The offerings in 7bit's buy are fantastic. However, they are also being done on a scale that nobody has ever imagined trying to match. As an example of how this affects someone we can look at what I was considering from GB4 back in September. Before I had bought the RGB from Aggiejy, the SC2 kit from Ragnorock, and the keys from this current buy, I would have been looking at around $100-200 in sets/kits. However, over the last two months, I was able to break these purchases down into smaller, bite-size transactions that are easier to cope with on the budgeting level.

The piece to this argument is the speed in which keys can come in via smaller buys/transactions. Individual kit buys often have a time-frame of two to three months from the beginning of the interest check to the delivery of the keys. Unfortunately, because of the magnitude of Round Four, the time-frame has not yet been determined based on changing opinions of kits and an unfortunately lacking of interest for some of the main kits. Group Buy patrons, while they would love to get all of their items in one place, also seek a sense of speed in the buying process and because of this will turn to these smaller buys when possible.

The aforementioned reasons, while entirely justifying the slow breakdown of 7bit's buy, as you placed it, give some light as to why I find these types of buys for the community. I hope these thoughts can give some sort of indication of where I stand on the matter.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 15:06:16 »
Yes, R4 is massive and with all the changes taking place it seems hard to imagine the logistics of it. I cant wait for R4 to be finalized as there are some very cool kits available but in the mean time there is no reason that we can't set-up small groupbuys for people who don't want to wait six months or longer.

Now with all this being said I cant wait for R4 I plan on ordering several things, but I am going to wait until things are set in stone. I am not the only one doing this. With all the changes happening its hard to know what is going to be available and what is not, Now I realize that this also depends on the amount of orders each kit gets.

UPDATE: I placed my order for R4!, I believe that the R4 will still be very successful because it has options that this groupbuy doesnt like RETRO/AWESOME*/YELLOW/GREY.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 October 2011, 15:51:42 by whiskerBox »
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline mr626

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 19:27:41 »
I've decided to just wait for R4, as I'll be able to get everything I want from there. Thanks anyway, good luck with the group buy (have edited my previous post to indicate this too).

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 19:37:00 »
Quote from: mr626;437633
I've decided to just wait for R4, as I'll be able to get everything I want from there. Thanks anyway, good luck with the group buy (have edited my previous post to indicate this too).

That's fine; as of right now this is just the interest check. I do not expect to open up orders until the end of next week at the earliest.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 22:16:20 »
Quote from: ripster;437641
Round one was done in about 4 weeks.  Good price too.  Not sure why Group Key Buy Four NEEDS to be so huge anyway - the price discounts for 50K total units is a bit mysterious to me?  Care to share?

I got a pretty typical volume type quote for the Awesome/LOD keys.

In other  words if I were the OP I'd just go ahead with the Novelty group key buy and let the Group Key Buy Four compete on it's merits.

I had no intentions of stopping this buy and while there may be less overall orders I believe we should have enough to make it worthwhile.

Also, I have updated the OP with a choice for picking colors of the Starwars keys; an explanation is provided.

Offline slueth

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 22:49:14 »
want a Q_Q cap :D Do I have to start a new group buy or is it possible to have that as a red keycap?

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 22:50:31 »
Quote from: slueth;437729
want a Q_Q cap :D Do I have to start a new group buy or is it possible to have that as a red keycap?

I won't add it to this buy because of it being an entirely new cap so I would recommend if you really wanted it to start a new buy.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 22:53:34 »
i vote for both imperial colorways.

but if i can only pick one, black on white.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 22:54:21 »
Quote from: demik;437732
i vote for both imperial colorways.

but if i can only pick one, black on white.

Any opinion on the Rebel?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 22:55:14 »
screw the rebels!

(red on white)

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 23:01:44 »
Quote from: demik;437735
screw the rebels!

(red on white)

Interesting, keeping it the original way... good to have an opinion in that direction.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 23:33:11 »
i think you should have star wars modifiers
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 23:35:50 »
Quote from: noodles256;437754
i think you should have star wars modifiers

I have been working with that in my mind. If that were the case I would just create a separate order thread for the four keys (two 1x starwars and two 1.25x starwars) and have it follow the same timeline as this one.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 23:46:57 »
I slightly prefer a white imperial on black keycap, and for the rebels, I think the white logo on red keycap is best.

Clearly, the Imperial one is the best.

I still think a Meta-key or alt-key version of these would be better, so you can have them separated by the spacebar of injustice, at the bottom of the keyboard, but I'm really interested in them either way.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 23:49:14 »
Quote from: dorkvader;437761
I slightly prefer a white imperial on black keycap, and for the rebels, I think the white logo on red keycap is best.

Clearly, the Imperial one is the best.

I still think a Meta-key or alt-key version of these would be better, so you can have them separated by the spacebar of injustice, at the bottom of the keyboard, but I'm really interested in them either way.

So far I have heard all combinations of the colors with equal interest but what is persisting is a desire for modifiers.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 23:49:19 »
yeah add me to the list of people that want star wars modifiers.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 23:52:08 »
Quote from: demik;437763
yeah add me to the list of people that want star wars modifiers.

good good good; now we are getting somewhere.

Offline sinis

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 01:58:24 »
thanks RColinTaylor.
good luck with the groupbuy!

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 02:05:34 »
Quote from: sinis;437826
thanks RColinTaylor.
good luck with the groupbuy!

Thank you too Sinis; while some may have viewed your comment out of line I found it to be a strong representation of the voice people should have with things like this. Objections should be made where objections are possible.

Offline Kick

• Fuego
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 04:20:21 »
Any way to get the Sun in the Japanese key bigger? It's size makes it seem more like a red dot than something that can represent the rising sun.

Proportionally, it should be like this....it's even an svg file :P...or was

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 29673[/ATTACH]

got it from Japan's wiki

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 04:35:05 »
For the awesome keycap id pref black on yellow keycap

I preffer the imperial one to be white logo on black keycap and the rebel to be red logo on white keycap.

As for LOD I dont care about orientation.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 05:36:12 »
+2 on SW Modifiers.  [Black on White] and [White on Red] being my favorites.
G80-11900.

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 06:11:03 »
Quote from: Kick;437859
Any way to get the Sun in the Japanese key bigger? It's size makes it seem more like a red dot than something that can represent the rising sun.

Proportionally, it should be like this....it's even an svg file :P...or was

(Attachment Link) 29673[/ATTACH]

got it from Japan's wiki

The original Japanese flag of Round 3 (introduced by myself) had been done using a text-sign (they have circle, square, triangle and diamond), so it was comparaby cheap.
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 08:10:06 »
Quote from: 7bit;437879
The original Japanese flag of Round 3 (introduced by myself) had been done using a text-sign (they have circle, square, triangle and diamond), so it was comparaby cheap.

This. I think of the Japan key as less of a representative of Japan and more of a red dot on a white key that we call the Japan. Plus, I don't want to go through the process of legend fees when working with more than two or three keys.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 08:46:59 »
Star wars Modifiers FTW
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 10:43:41 »
If the legend fees for it aren't significant, then doing the Japan key right would be worth it imo, I agree that the "sun" is far too small to actually be considered as the Japanese flag. It took me a minute to figure out what it was actually supposed to represent, and I'm 1/4 Japanese lol.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 10:50:59 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;437966
If the legend fees for it aren't significant, then doing the Japan key right would be worth it imo, I agree that the "sun" is far too small to actually be considered as the Japanese flag. It took me a minute to figure out what it was actually supposed to represent, and I'm 1/4 Japanese lol.

Oh, so now you want a real Japan Sun flag? Okay, I can do that, just get me the SVG.

Offline sinis

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 12:31:08 »
japan sun?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 29708[/ATTACH]

tadaaaa! ^^

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff