Author Topic: Strange solder used in Pok3r?  (Read 2931 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Strange solder used in Pok3r?
« on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:40:03 »
I own a very nice soldering iron and a passable soldering pump, and I've had fine luck desoldering in the past, but weirdly enough the pok3r is not cooperative at all. No matter how much I heat and pump, not quite all of the solder will ever leave the joint. Has anyone had success/problems desoldering this board? I'm starting to wonder if Vortex has some weird solder in their factory that keeps you from fully desoldering.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Strange solder used in Pok3r?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:42:40 »
You've desoldered factory new stock keyboards before yeah? Just asking, cuz leaded solder that the manufacturers like to use is often tougher to desolder (requires higher temperatures). Other than that, have you tried adding more solder to it? Generally helps out a ton, along with cranking up the temperature.
I love Elzy

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:54:33 »
You've desoldered factory new stock keyboards before yeah? Just asking, cuz leaded solder that the manufacturers like to use is often tougher to desolder (requires higher temperatures). Other than that, have you tried adding more solder to it? Generally helps out a ton, along with cranking up the temperature.
I actually prefer leaded solder and buy it whenever I can.

You're right on about adding a little bit of new melted solder to speed things up. It conducts the heat way faster.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:55:10 »

You mean lead free solder that is in anything now?

But yeah, adding leaded solder to lead free, helps a ton when working on new boards.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:55:39 »
Er yes my mistake I mean lead free sucks. leaded is the way to go
I love Elzy

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 21:03:19 »
Er yes my mistake I mean lead free sucks. leaded is the way to go

Just making sure we are all on the same page.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 23:11:24 »
I de-soldered and two Pok3rs and added LEDs to both of them no problem. I used a Weller WESD51 at 315C with the Engineer SS-02 Solder Sucker from amazon. I sometimes needed to crank up the heat but it wasn't that bad, anytime I didn't suck up all the solder I would simply re-fill the solder joint and then suck it back up no problem.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2015, 23:13:03 by Steezus »
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 06:12:01 »
Ok, yeah, seems like just cranking up my temperature is the way to go. I just always get nervous about wrecking the board. The most I've gotten up to is around 280C.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 06:20:20 »
As with what the others say it might be worth just adding a little leaded solder to get everything flowing I find lead free solder to be a pain to work with, otherwise again not sure of others but I usually end up going 280 on most boards as it only needs to be heated for a second or two at most
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 23:19:55 »
Ok, yeah, seems like just cranking up my temperature is the way to go. I just always get nervous about wrecking the board. The most I've gotten up to is around 280C.

I sit anywhere from 300-330 for desoldering lead free
I love Elzy

Offline Dansor

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 15:21:27 »
Have you tried a desoldering iron instead of just an iron and pump?
I've got the one below and have had GREAT results with it.
http://www.amazon.com/ECG-J-045-DS-Watt-Desoldering-Iron/dp/B00068IJSG

It works much faster, and gets much more of the solder with much less work.
The only caveat I'd have is to get some extra tips, as depending on the solder they can deteriorate relatively quickly.

Offline ithrowthinqs

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 22:46:42 »
Have the same exact ECJ desoldering pump. Works like a champ for how much i paid.  ;)