Author Topic: Da Vinci Mini 3D Printer / ABS Keycaps  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Spyder96

Da Vinci Mini 3D Printer / ABS Keycaps
« on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 21:43:31 »
Hi guys, so my father in law has a Da Vinci Mini 3D Printer which uses ABS to print. I was wondering if anyone knew if I could use that to print Cherry Profile keycaps. If so, could anyone help by pointing me towards the right direction of where to start, I am going to spend a month with him to learn how to make custom aluminum / metal keyboard cases and hopefully with the 3d printer, some awesome ABS keycaps!

Offline jamster

Re: Da Vinci Mini 3D Printer / ABS Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 22:53:44 »
Just go to thingverse or shapeways and search for keycaps.

Offline katotaka

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 02:27:49 »
lemme burst you bubble before you get too excited

DaVinci
ABS
Cherry Profile keycaps (with FDM 3DP technology)

these all sound the opposite of awesome to me

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 04:27:18 »
The Davinci is fine, 3d printing hasn't progressed much on the hardware front except at the high end. Most gains have been software.

You can do a keyboard (for cheap) but as for caps...
It can be done, but the stems can be a bit weak and I haven't really seen anyone make any caps I thought were good, much less great. And that's if you don't even take into consideration legends. Worse, you can buy a pretty good set of blank keycaps for about what the plastic costs.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Annieclo

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 May 2022, 05:58:06 »
I’ve just started printing on my Moai and I’m loving it so far. I’ve been also trying to print a cherry mx keycap, although I’m having issues with the crucifix section of the model (the cross on the underneath). I’ve attached a picture that I hope will help, and some details about my Cura print settings.

I’m printing at 0.05mm layer height with the newest Moai Cura profile.

Picture of the printing issue. The crucifix should be clearly defined at 90degree angles:
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2022, 03:38:06 by suicidal_orange »