Author Topic: Some tips on a very very simple paint job.  (Read 2686 times)

Offline fyininja

Some tips on a very very simple paint job.
« on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 03:17:23 »
Alright so...Just some basic info, I have never done any sort of modding, painting...anything like that. I'm kinda desperate, I've been looking for some ways to paint over the outside of a headset.

Basically, a girl I really really like wants a headset.

http://www.brookstone.com/pd/Limited-Edition-Ariana-Grande-Wireless-Bluetooth-Cat-Ear-Headphones/320538p.html?bkeid=compare%7Cmercent%7Cgooglebaseads%7Csearch&bkeid=compare%7cmercent%7cgooglebaseads%7csearch

They have a few models of this, but the big problem is, the one that seems far and away the best model, has an Ariana Grande signature attached to it.

What I'm wanting to know is, what is the best way to simply...paint over that signature. I really think this would be an absolutely amazing gift for her, and I'm willing to put in a bit of work, but I don't know anything about paintjobs or modding whatsoever. I want it to look nice and natural, and I want it to last. That's basically it. It's only one of the ear cups that would need painted ideally, though it might be better to just paint over both sides?

Sorry if I'm not being very helpful here. I'm just kinda desperate. I'm sure she'd love it even if I just bought it and left it alone, but I don't want that. I want to put in the work to make it truly perfect.

Another option would be covering it up with a sticker of some sort. She loves Overwatch, especially D.Va. I've seen some stickers I wouldn't mind putting onto it. Something like this

https://www.etsy.com/listing/448521354/overwatch-dva-signature-dva-vinyl

I want it to look nice and professional, but I'm far from a professional when it comes to this kind of stuff. I want it to be something long lasting, and really awesome.

If anybody can help me out, that'd be great. I'd be eternally greatful.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Some tips on a very very simple paint job.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 03:23:45 »
Buy it first,  then tell us what the surface is made of / what it's like.. and if you can remove it for painting.

The ONLY way to get a good professional finish is spray .. and it's hard to do that on a finished product

Because you'd probably have to tape it up..

Now,  SOME of the parts on there might have fairly weak coatings,  and if you start taping everything, upon removing the tape, you might end up ripping off the original coatings..

So that's why parts removal is important..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 09:41:48 »
To be nitpicky: these are headphones, not a headset. A headset has the microphone on the set itself. The microphone included is on a audio cable and is intended for use with a cell phone, not a gaming PC. Headsets for a PC have separate jacks for audio and microphone.

The part with the signature looks as if it is domed - and that usually rules out stickers or vinyl.
If you can't get that off easily then you would have to mask off everything very carefully before painting.
I would not worry about masking tape on plastic or metal, even if that is painted. The soft earcups would be the most vulnerable parts, but if the headphone are any good then those should be removable anyway.
There are also different types of masking tape: finer tape has thinner paper and softer glue - and that is what I would use. Cover the edges of the circle with tape and cut the circle with a scalpel.

Personally, I think that the headphones look kinda cheap. They would also feel cheap if the chromed parts are plastic and not metal.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2017, 09:45:56 by Findecanor »

Offline FLOCKA

• New name: ghostdeini
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 19:49:06 »
Casey Neistat made a video about making his own "beats" headphones:

Obviously you would take much more care, but this at least shows you the general procedure for painting headphones.  ;)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 20:06:45 »
Casey Neistat made a video about making his own "beats" headphones:

Obviously you would take much more care, but this at least shows you the general procedure for painting headphones.  ;)

That looks kinda crummy.. but i guess he's rushing a bit to make the video.