Author Topic: TV Help QUICK!  (Read 3561 times)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
TV Help QUICK!
« on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 04:06:52 »
Both my air conditioning unit (3 years old) and TV (4 years old) bit the dust this week. ARGH.

My TV budget is around $600.

Which of these would you choose?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-gray-black/5029400.p?skuId=5029400&productCategoryId=

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5217300.p?skuId=5217300&productCategoryId=

EDIT: Also... anti-motion blur bull**** makes me sick. I know from reviews I can turn off TruMotion with the LG at least...
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2017, 04:10:55 by absyrd »
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: TV Help QUICK!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 04:31:11 »
Motion smoothing makes all TV look like ****, it makes 4k look like an annoying high def video game. I'd go with the LG just to avoid it. I don't think the motion smoothing is applied to everything but when it is it'll for sure ruin whatever is playing.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 04:31:34 »
Ugh. Now I see this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4804403.p?skuId=4804403&productCategoryId=

$200 more, though.

Motion smoothing makes all TV look like ****, it makes 4k look like an annoying high def video game. I'd go with the LG just to avoid it. I don't think the motion smoothing is applied to everything but when it is it'll for sure ruin whatever is playing.

I'm with you. I can't stand it.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 04:39:22 »
IMO most of those TVs are too large unless you have it mounted pretty far away from your couch, I think 48in is a pretty nice size for the "normal" distance between couch and TV.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 04:47:49 »
I had a 55 before. My couch is pretty far, I ride my exercise bike from an angle often behind the couch, and my recliner is also off to the side.

Plus I'm blind as a ****ing bat.

I wish I could go smaller, but I've been spoiled to 50+.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 05:03:10 »
I just asked Tp4, he says that if you're buying a tv TODAY,,, with UltraHD Blurays coming out,  The biggest new feature is  HDR colors.  the new blurays will contain a Wider gamut of visible color information ( more vivid/ true to life/ etc)..

Those sets run a little higher 1700-3000..  Buhhhh HDR is necessary to experience ultraHD..

It's not just about resolution..

Surely you'd rather have IPS over TN,   so the New HDR panel vs the old panel is the same as IPS vs TN

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 05:04:12 »
And your next post is going to be about, cost..

So. I will default to saying..  Nothing a month of Top Ramen won't fix..

Here's the Sell..  You get to watch SUPER GOOD COLOR on your new HDR TV while EATING RAMEN..

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 05:25:09 »
And your next post is going to be about, cost..

So. I will default to saying..  Nothing a month of Top Ramen won't fix..

Here's the Sell..  You get to watch SUPER GOOD COLOR on your new HDR TV while EATING RAMEN..
This process only works if you aren't in college already living off top ramen.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 05:31:13 »

This process only works if you aren't in college already living off top ramen.

For college geekhackers,  pot dealing is the solution. !!

Based on previous xchanges with absyrd, he's already one foot in on this.. hahahahahaha

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 05:33:20 »
ALSO.. @ absyrd..  ALL the samsung tvs sold have HDR label. but that's deceptive because the $800 panels do not display wide gamut..

So you will need to search whether or not the panel will actually SHOW wide gamut..

HDR is just the header,  any tv can read the HDR header,   but the cheaper ones can not actually Send those colors to your eyes.

for example,  scroll down to gamut on this review,  that's indication of FAKE hdr..  http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 05:47:31 »
So in the tiny bit of research I've done and know I want HDR10 capability, that site is telling me it's useless without the color range.

Thanks for that link. That site is dope. Great write-ups.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 05:50:09 »
So in the tiny bit of research I've done and know I want HDR10 capability, that site is telling me it's useless without the color range.

Thanks for that link. That site is dope. Great write-ups.

Easy way is to go by price.. haha $3000 = Good TV..

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 06:44:51 »
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5258ac/a_compiled_list_of_4k_uhd_tvs_that_support_hdr_10/d7hl50t/

Reddit to the rescue, list of 4K TVs that support HDR10, with input lag as well, sorted best to worst. :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 06:52:37 »
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5258ac/a_compiled_list_of_4k_uhd_tvs_that_support_hdr_10/d7hl50t/

Reddit to the rescue, list of 4K TVs that support HDR10, with input lag as well, sorted best to worst. :thumb:

again keep in mind,  while all of those tvs will read the hdr header and decode hdr content.  not all of them can display wide gamut color space required to actually PRODUCE the HDR information visually.

Make sure to look for gamut information.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 07:11:37 »

again keep in mind,  while all of those tvs will read the hdr header and decode hdr content.  not all of them can display wide gamut color space required to actually PRODUCE the HDR information visually.

Good call, looks like rtings has this covered too!

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/wide-color-gamut-rec-709-dci-p3-rec-2020

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 07:29:18 »
All this is telling me is that between the 2 or 3 in my price range, they all lack the gamut. I'll have to live with it.

Gonna borrow the extra $200 for the Sony, I think. At least it has a ton of motionflow settings. And my longest lasting TV I ever had (and still have) was a Sony.

The TV that blew up (black screen, popping and hissing noises) was a Vizio 55" 1080p. I think it was $700 at time of purchase. This Sony should look much nicer. I'm going to 2 stores to at least see all 3 in person this morning.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 07:32:34 »

Good call, looks like rtings has this covered too!

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/wide-color-gamut-rec-709-dci-p3-rec-2020

The LG and Samsung I'm looking at not even on that list.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 07:46:03 »
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch

The Sony came in as a runner-up for budget in Spring '17.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 09:31:40 »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 18:10:04 »
I'd wait for June electronics sales