Author Topic: Beam Spring 104+SSK+122+62 Reproduction Project! Round 1 now shipping  (Read 241010 times)

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Re: Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! Shipping after the New Model F KB's
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 05 December 2022, 21:21:31 »
Update - beam spring orders opening up this week and shipping this month!

The new factory's MX PBT double shot keycap samples arrived and they look great.  I expect to order them soon and maybe they will be ready next month.  So as to get the first round beam spring keyboards going, I will be accepting orders starting soon, likely in the next couple days.  I will be sending emails out to those who signed up the earliest; they will have a limited order window before I send out the next group of emails on the interest form.  To ensure a fair distribution of keyboards, everyone has a strict limit to only order the round 1 keyboards they specified they would order, but of course they can choose to give up their spot or to order the second round keyboard this week.  There is no restriction on ordering round 2 keyboards.

To honor the spherical keycaps of the original IBM beam spring keyboards, these PBT double shot caps are not spherical but I would describe them as a little sunken on the top, as a good compromise between the spherical and non-spherical design.  See the last photo below for a good look at the design.  As a note, due to the way their molds are set up with ISO Enter being in the mold of non-modifier keys, the sets containing white keycaps will likely include a white ISO Enter key, with the option to purchase the black ISO Enter key for a few dollars, because I will need to pull out the ISO Enter keys from the all-black key cap sets to accommodate half the sets without them.  Since less than half of the black and white key cap orders are expected to order the black ISO Enter, there should not be a shortage of black ISO enter keys.

I am not sure if there is an easy technical way to only accept orders from those I send out the first wave announcement email to, but please only order if you receive this forthcoming email.  I will be checking the email addresses against the distribution list of email addresses.

So as to allow a one-stop order process for everyone interested in either round, orders for both rounds will be opened so the early sign ups have a choice to be in the first round or to be one of the earliest to receive the second round.  There are no restrictions on second round keyboard orders.

The keyboards will ship right away, first come first served, with the keycaps and LED overlays to ship separately when they are ready. 

In the interest of full disclosure the below keycap photos have had their colors altered to reflect the expected black keys and white keys option (black modifier keycaps with white text, and white keys with black text for the other keys).  The other option will be all black keys and white text.  The reason is that the factory is custom making the requested colors just for this project and no other customers had requested this before, so our specified colors were not available as a sample.  The bottom row towards the left side has a few extra samples not part of the key set (Z A W 8 3).
Some more updates:
1.  We are going with the non-3278 style case.  The design has been finalized and the factory is producing prototypes at this stage for B62, BSSK, B104, and B122.

2.  I am open to additional options but you would need to get others on board (!) to help you split the tooling costs.  It may cost over $1000 for each design in lower quantities because the tooling costs per unit are far lower when they are spread out among hundreds of keyboards of a particular design.

3.  Yep the same colors are expected with the compact F cases including beige, industrial gray, black, red, light blue, and dark blue.

4.  There is a slight angle to the case, but this time there are 4 holes in the bottom so you can set the keyboard to have front tilt or back tilt.  The good thing is it should not be difficult to fabricate your own case designs and just drop in the inner assembly, while there is still going to be the option to make your own beam spring designs and order just the modules.

Offline Ellipse

Re: Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! Shipping after the New Model F KB's
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 06 December 2022, 00:03:41 »
Here are my draft notes on what's included in round 1:

Included in each keyboard order:
1 Ultra Compact Style Beam Spring Keyboard with black powdercoated aluminum case and countersunk T8 screws
1 First Aid Kit at no extra cost (4 spare modules, fully assembled)
1 Set of MX plate mount stabilizers
1 foam packaging and box as pictured
2 extra beam springs
1 Flyplate/flipper reattachment tool (a Model F space bar stabilizer wire cut in half!)
1 USB-C cable
1 set of 4 square bumpers/feet

Needed tools: Torx T8 screwdriver

Available to order - the overlays and keys will ship separately:

Black ISO Enter keycap with white text

LED overlay. The LED overlay is recommended (keep dust out) but optional. The beam spring LEDs are close to the top of the case so they can be seen clearly from various angles. Use the LED overlay to identify each LED (standard Num/Caps/Scroll, from left to right). You can use a higher resistor value to make the LEDs dimmer and a lower resistor value to make them brighter. 2.2k is the factory default.

xwhatsit Model F controller - the same exact Model F controller is actually used for this beam spring project
spare custom-made USB-C cables
Additional bumpers. Only adhesive bumpers will work with the round 1 boards as there are no bumper holes on the bottom
Solenoid note - the compact round 1 case will not accommodate the solenoid (not tall enough), so if you order a solenoid you would have to mount it externally or use a smaller solenoid like this one from Sparkfun, which is compatible with the xwhatsit solenoid driver: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11015

Choice of 2 MX-compatible PBT double shot key sets - refer to the photos to see the included keys:
Choice 1: black modifier keycaps with white text, and the rest of the keys white keycaps with black text
Choice 2: all black keycaps with white text

Offline Exluna

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 06 December 2022, 11:29:12 »
How has it taken me this long to discover this amazing project? I'm so in man.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 06 December 2022, 11:34:33 »
Great Exluna!  Everyone who is interested in the project, please do sign the interest form in the first post of this thread to reserve your spot.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 06 December 2022, 12:07:28 »
Here are some photos of the molds currently under production.  The last two photos are from this week, while the other photos were from about a month ago.  Molds for these keyboard projects have usually taken 1-2 months before they can start producing samples - the first samples are expected to be made later this month.  Then the samples need to be evaluated and approved, or the mold needs to be adjusted to produce parts to the required tolerances.

294067-0
294069-1
294071-2
294073-3

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 09 December 2022, 19:19:48 »
Awesome work! Thank for you all of your efforts to keep this technology available. I think (hope) I signed up early!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 10 December 2022, 01:13:26 »
Here are the first photos of the sample keys installed on the Round 1 keyboard!  A typing test video will be posted in the coming days.  As noted in the prior post, the colors have been edited (please see the prior post of key photos for details).

294191-0
294193-1
294195-2
294197-3
294199-4
294201-5
294203-6
294205-7

Offline Kenshiro70

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 11 December 2022, 00:57:05 »
Super excited to see this coming to fruition. 

One question on the keycaps themselves - how would you characterize the profile? There's been such a proliferation in profiles over the last two years that it's become a bit of an alphabet soup (MDA, XDA, etc.)

I've become enamored with the MT3 profile recently, though I'll give yours a try as well.

Also, having just read through the Input Club's post-mortem on their attempt at beamspring switches, I do hope you and Haata have been able to talk lessons learned.  The discussion on their search for the right alloy to use in the springs was fascinating.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 December 2022, 03:04:08 by Kenshiro70 »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 19 December 2022, 20:42:24 »
Samples of the beam module parts (and also the 3 new Model F keys) have been completed and will be mailed to me over the coming weeks.  These first samples do not yet have the production colors.

It would be very interesting to chat with the Input Club folks.  I have fortunately met some of them at the keyboard meetups but would like to meet everyone involved!  Some of the larger meetups are starting up again.  Everyone please do let me know if a big meetup is coming up in an area I can travel to (NY/NJ/Philadelphia/DC/etc.).

The keys are custom and are not made in line with any standard MX profile.  As you can see in the various photos all of the keys do not vary much in height.  These keys were the closest production keys I could find with characteristics similar to the IBM beam spring keycaps (color scheme, font, PBT double shot, each key about the same height).

Samples of the beam module parts (and also the 3 new Model F keys) have been completed and will be mailed to me over the coming weeks. These first samples do not yet have the production colors.

294714-0

Offline Damage

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 23:55:50 »
Have emails been going out to potential buyers who signed up early?

I got in early, I thought, but haven't heard anything. Just wondering.  :)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 04:57:09 »
Yes, emails just started going out today.  Here is the email that went out today to all but the first few hundred signed up folks who were given the choice to pick Round 1 and/or Round 2.

The Beam Spring Project is launching today!

Round 2 (classic style) Beam Spring Keyboard - now public and open to all
Order link: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/beam-spring-keyboard/

Thank you for being a part of the project. You are one of the 1,200+ sign-ups on the Google form; you are now able to customize your Round 2 Classic Case Style Brand New Beam Spring keyboard. Please read the below-linked product page and watch the setup and typing test videos (embedded on that page) for additional details so that you can decide what to order.

Right now those who signed up the earliest have been given a 15-day order window starting today and ending on Saturday January 7; they can pick Round 1 or Round 2. After that date, I'll move down the list of emails and reach out to the next group if there are any remaining Round 1 spots. Round 1 was limited to the first few hundred sign ups as production was limited to about 150 boards in each type (B104 and BSSK).

Please use the same email address when placing your order, so I can match it with the interest form.

For most folks I definitely recommend the Round 2 boards; the reasons are detailed in the above-linked product page.

And finally, no cheating please! As a note, if the round 1 link is leaked and someone orders it without having received my invitation email, the order terms note that they agree to receive a round 2 keyboard without notification (not smart to risk it, as the Round 2 boards are lower in cost for a short while). This email is not the Round 1 invitation email.

Offline Dra9on

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 05:08:57 »
So if we were not notified yet, it’s likely we’re in the next batch of emails? I hope I’m in the next set, hehe

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 05:20:29 »
It may take a few hours for the emails to all go out?  I did process the email newsletter to go out to everyone who signed up.

Offline Dra9on

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 10:11:41 »
In my infinite wisdom, I checked the wrong email… Got the message. Hehe, I don’t want to think about import costs for this… At least it will be a surprise for future me, not present me.

Sidenote: is it possible to have an overview of all the colour options we can pick from? I might just be missing something on the site, but it would be good to compare what they would roughly look like.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 11:39:54 »
Your webpage doesn't have pictures of all the versions. I would seriously consider buying one of these, but I need to know what the ANSI SSK and B62 Split Shift versions look like.

Offline CaptainFabulous

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 13:00:07 »
It would be very helpful to see pictures of all the different options all in one place.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 13:32:19 »
Dra9on and CaptainFabulous agreed, I have just updated the beam spring page with these photos - thanks!  All the color options are the same as shown on the Compact F62 and F77 pages as well.

PancakeMSTR my apologies that the new versions do not have any real photos or project renderings just yet.  The project was launched after review of the working B104 prototype received some months ago (and shown in the typing test video embedded on the beam spring product page), but all versions have not yet been produced in sample form.  The design is expected to be the same dimensions for all Round 2 keyboards, except the BSSK will chop off a few inches on the right side compared to the B104, the B62 will chop off the right block of the BSSK, and the B122 will add an extra row on top for F13-F24 and extra space on the left side for the 10 function keys, compared to the B104.  Please refer to the B104 rendering on the beam spring product page as a base reference.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 14:36:57 »
Here are the two new beam spring project videos for everyone's reference.

Typing test video (Round 1, Round 2 prototype, and IBM original beam spring)

Beam Spring Setup Video

Offline yorktown5

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 16:10:18 »
Is the case going to be styled like the one in the video or will it be fully rounded like in the render on the website?

I think I remember reading that youre also working on recreating the original beam spring switches. Are there plans to make a keyboard for that version?
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 December 2022, 16:13:34 by yorktown5 »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 16:56:40 »
The web site render is the final design.

Nope I have no plans to recreate the exact original switches.  The new ones are the same exact design dimensions, except with a 10mm or so middle section removed since the long metal bar for the IBM keycap was no longer needed due to switching to the MX style keycap requirement.

Offline Starius

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 24 December 2022, 18:37:33 »
Yeah, I am super interested in this, but I'm confused as to what each keyboard option looks like on the Round 2 preorder page. 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 25 December 2022, 13:28:36 »
Apologies I still have to make the renderings for the other keyboards. The design is expected to be the same dimensions for all Round 2 keyboards, except the BSSK will chop off a few inches on the right side compared to the B104, the B62 will chop off the right block of the BSSK, and the B122 will add an extra row on top for F13-F24 and extra space on the left side for the 10 function keys, compared to the B104.

Offline parityerror

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 08:01:16 »
Would it be possible to custom order some blank black/white keycap sets?  This would be of particular use for those of us who ordered B122 keyboards.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 12:15:17 »
If anyone strongly prefers the Round 1 style and did not make the invitation list cutoff from the newsletter email sent last week, please send me an email so I can try to get you in Round 1.

The key sets are finalized and it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to add even just a few keys to the set (I asked). One idea I had was to have a set that included every common international language's special keys, all combined into one set, but that would have been cost prohibitive since they did not have the molds for these other keys.

The provided key set has 139 or so keys, which includes about 25 additional 1U keys not used on the B104, as pictured in the beam spring keyboard product page, but the keys are not all the right legends and sizes for a 122 and many are just duplicates of other keys but in the modifier color, so it would look odd and the legends would be "wrong" but it would be possible to use the provided set on a 122 and cover the keys. Unfortunately the factory does not have molds for any additional keys in this style of key set - I did ask them. For the B122 key sets my recommendation is to mix and match keys if you like the current key set, by also ordering another set, or considering another key set instead of the set offered with the keyboard. To clarify the second part, you can use any MX keys as the modules have MX stems but I have to disclose it's at your own risk since I am not selling or endorsing these other products in any way.

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 12:20:37 »
Does that mean the 122 key board doesn't come with keys to cover the whole board?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 13:59:59 »
The custom key set for this project will cover the each key on the B122 but the legends are not the standard 122-key legends.  For example there are no F13-F24 keys (see the key set photo on the project page to see the included keys).  I would recommend using another set for the B122 as mentioned above. 

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 10:34:48 »
FWIW I ordered one and I am certain I will be as happy with it as I am my model f but I have no idea what I am getting as far as the case design and I looked at the thread and the site a few times 🤣 is it the beige case with the rounded chin? or the indented chin? or a low profile square case? 
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 11:32:24 »
The Round 1 boards will be as photographed on the product page, and the Round 2 boards will be the finalized 3101-style design, currently shown as a beige rendering.  The photographed Round 2 3278 style design was just for the prototype and will not be produced.

Offline LordGurciullo

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 31 December 2022, 06:32:49 »
The two different one sounds drastically different.. is that cause the case reverberates so differently? Also - Are the compact style (round1) only available in the new black look and not the original retro look? Also are the pics of what all the different color and board combos will look like? Like a BSSK industrial vs a 62 off white/beige? What color on the main sales page is the main pic? Dark grey? and lastly are the keycap options only what is shown? - those grey keycaps in the picture of round2 wont be available?

Thanks for answering everything and if some of these answers are obvious I apologize!
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 December 2022, 06:44:58 by LordGurciullo »

Offline Ellipse

Yes the compact style is just Round 1 and the classic style is just round 2.  Sorry no photos just yet.  The pictured photo is black but the finish is not the production finish.  The colors should match the compact case Model F photos shown on the product page.  Correct the gray keys are just the sample keys - just the other ones are available to order.

Offline LordGurciullo

Cool. For me the compact is cool in a modern way but I like the OG style more. Also seems to be cheaper and has a totally different sound. Doesn't it? The compact even sounds newer....

I'd love to see some pics how the industrial grey looks with the black and white caps... So i can order which one has the look.

Offline Ellipse

Sorry no photos will be available for several months at least.  Just have to stay with the rendered images for now.

We are a few days away from the 1/7 date when the Round 1 option opens up to everyone.  If anyone wants to request an invite to Round 1, please do message me.

Offline Dra9on

How do we go about choosing the LED overlay, or do we just get a random one? I don't think I picked one when ordering... I hope that's not a problem.

Offline LordGurciullo

Those Sample keys are amazing and ZORZ! (that means awesome). Any way they will be available at a later time?

Either way I just bought one! If those do come up please let me know or ship those instead. You are an awesome dude and I appreciate you. Look for a review on Zorz Gaming of the Kishsaver in the coming month (or so)

Offline Ellipse

Round 1 keyboards now open to all:

Now that orders have been open for about two weeks, the Round 1 keyboards are now open to all.  In the next day or so I will be emailing those who signed up on the Google form and who have not picked their keyboard just yet.

The 1 per person limit has also been removed for the Round 1 keyboards.  Feel free to order additional ones if you'd like.

The product page will be marked as out of stock once the limit is reached and no more keyboards can be ordered.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/beam-spring-round-1-keyboard/

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/beam-spring-keyboard/

For those who want to request to switch from Round 2 to Round 1, here are the steps:
Please order the keyboard and extras that you want, and choose "other payment" at checkout.
Please place a separate order of units of the store item $1 increments and choose free/other shipping at checkout, right before clicking Place Order.  The quantity of $1 increments to order is the price difference between your orders.

Lord please do share a link to your review when it has been posted!

Dra9on I will just pick one of the default ones.  If you want to pick feel free to email me with your order number and LED overlay number choice.

Offline ItIsWritten

How can we order extras if we have already placed an order for the board? Currently you have to select a board to order anything.

Offline Dra9on

I haven’t ordered extras, but try the ‘Beamspring extras’ product in the shop? That’s for all the beamspring stuff like extra switches, overlays and such.

Offline ItIsWritten

Those seem to be for the Model F. The beam springs have other keycaps.

Offline CaptainFabulous

« Last Edit: Fri, 06 January 2023, 09:06:50 by CaptainFabulous »

Offline D3adrock

I want to order a round 2 BSSK keyboard but I would really like to see what they look like first, even if it is just a render. When do you think you will have renders of the BSSK keyboards?

Offline Ellipse

Apologies I still have to make the renderings for the other keyboards. The design is the same dimensions for all Round 2 keyboards, so we already know what they will look like: the BSSK will chop off a few inches on the right side compared to the B104, the B62 will chop off the right block of the BSSK, and the B122 will add an extra row on top for F13-F24 and extra space on the left side for the 10 function keys, compared to the B104.

Offline Dra9on

Just to make sure: we can retroactively add stuff to our orders by picking ‘other’ in shipping and contacting you with the order numbers to combine them together, correct?

Offline Ellipse

The first batch of several hundred custom PBT dye sublimated MX style key sets for this project have been completed and should be delivered to me within two weeks from now, if all goes well.  My expectation is that I can then start mailing out the Round 1 boards with the key sets. 

Yes confirmed Dra9on, as long as your order has not yet shipped.

Offline Ellipse

For the B122 folks, any recommendations on extra keys to consider including?  It won't be a perfect match but I was thinking of throwing in 22 black keys with transparent relegendable tops.  I also asked the factory if they can provide blank keys in the same style but it is not likely.  Probably better than using the provided set's extra keys as there would be duplication.

For reference, here are the keys remaining after I installed the keys from this set to the B104 Round 1 on the product page.  It turns out there are 21 extra 1U keys and you would need 22 to cover F13-F24 and the 10 left side block keys (I thought there were enough 1U keys but the factory provided more extra keys than I had anticipated in the sample set).  Below is the first production key set photo.

295313-0

Offline randomearth

For the B122 folks, any recommendations on extra keys to consider including? 

There are plenty of options. I would love to see some "media" keys (last, play, next, mute, vol up, vol dn).

Personally, I was thinking to use the spare F keys (after the media keys of course) for managing windows/workflow (e.g. switch task, switch window, show applications, goto menu, goto status bar, etc) and the 10 left side keys for generic functions like new, save, cut, copy, paste, undo, redo, close, quit. I don't know how feasible those "labels" are; I guess they could also be just single characters (if nothing else then to keep it simple).

Offline parityerror

Transparent re-legendable keys would be a nice alternative to blank keys if those are not an option.  That's what I'm using for the side function keys on my F122.  It took me a while to figure out what media/power/etc functions to assign to them.  One non-standard one I've been using a lot is compose.  In my case I built compose support into my keyboard controller, but there's software like WinCompose that could make use of such a key.

Offline Dra9on

+1 to the relegendable caps.
I remember you saying the caps are doubleshot, so it doesn't make that much sense to make custom moulds for media/f13-24 keys. As much as that would be great, I doubt the cost will be worth it. Interesting that it's unlikely they will have blanks, as those are simpler to make than doubleshot keys. But that's their thing. The relegendable caps sound like a great idea, especially for the left block.

Offline randomearth

I had a look into those, and you're right, those are an excellent option!

Another +1 for relegendable key caps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2023, 02:08:51 by randomearth »

Offline esplin2966

is it too late for us to change the color of our round 2 keyboard? I changed my mind on the keycaps to match with this.

Offline Ellipse

Please email me with any order-related requests and I will check.