Author Topic: IBM Beamspring stem  (Read 1707 times)

Offline jak123

IBM Beamspring stem
« on: Sat, 19 August 2023, 02:28:17 »
I'm working on rebuilding an IBM Display Station 3278 87-key beamspring.  I want to get new keystems cut, perhaps out of brass, carbon-fiber, or something fun.  Part of that process is figuring out exact dimensions of the keystems to feed to a CNC or water-jet cutter.  Having not found that information elsewhere, I figured I'd post it, so that others can find it.  I'm not sure how exact this is, but it's what I got.  I haven't cut anything yet, so there may be revisions.  I know some models have different stems for the caps-lock and other keys, but on mine they're all the same.

It would be awesome if someone can turn this into a DXF file.  I might be able to work it out on my own, but that's going to take some time.

Enjoy!

301812-0

Offline PlayBox

Re: IBM Beamspring stem
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 August 2023, 15:32:12 »
this project really only makes sense to do if you have a Beam spring as a baseline but these arr expetremery rare and expensive so good luck
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline jak123

Re: IBM Beamspring stem
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 August 2023, 09:19:51 »
Yes.  As stated, I'm in the middle of a rebuild.  That's where I got a sampling of keystems to measure.  Since they were originally made with a punch-die, they're not overly precise and you need to look at several copies to guess what the original, intended measurements were meant to be.  I'll admit my diagram has a lot of guesses, usually based off the simplest and most straight forward possibility.

In terms of why, many older keyboards have extensive corrosion damage.  In my experience rebuilding Beamsprings and Model F units, the top-plate and back-plate can take on a lot of rust, but still clean up fairly well.  The spring-steel of the beam and fly springs is also fairly resistant.  Springs and O-rings are easily replaced, and the rest of the key-switch parts are plastic.  While the original stems appear to be made from stainless steel, they can get really chewed up inserting and removing the, especially if there has been any moisture damage.  They're also, in the grand scheme of things, one of the easiest parts to re-make (that isn't already an off-the-self part, like the o-rings or springs)-- as long as you have the dimensions.

There are alternative motivations as well.  As mentioned, I'm interested in making stems from alternative materials, both for the look and possible difference in feel/sound.  The longer term motivation is to design a stem that can accept MX keycaps, but before we get there, I want to make sure I understand how the basic stems were made and fit.  (And yes, I'm aware a few others have looked at MX stems before, but as far as I could tell, nobody has ever bought the project to conclusion; it's a long-shot for me as well)