Author Topic: SysReq key on Model F/AT keyboard, how to make it work?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline dellmodelm

SysReq key on Model F/AT keyboard, how to make it work?
« on: Wed, 30 August 2023, 04:59:54 »
Using a new-to-me 1984 Model F/AT keyboard with a Soarer's converter on a newer desktop (Windows 11). When I load up Switch Hitter to test out the keys, all keys register except for SysReq. This keyboard's in great shape for its age, almost new old-stock. My gut feeling is there's some kind of block where the signal for the key isn't being picked up by the Soarer's (or by my computer, otherwise). Any ideas of something I can do to get this key to get picked up? I'd like to map it over to be Windows/Super or something like that. Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but I didn't find anything in a few forum searches. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 August 2023, 05:03:47 by dellmodelm »

Offline Tactile

Re: SysReq key on Model F/AT keyboard, how to make it work?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 August 2023, 10:23:30 »
Probably Soarer's is passing that keycode to Windows, which just ignores it. You can program Soarer's to convert the keycode to what you want. This should turn that key into the right windows key.

remapblock
    EXTRA_SYSRQ  RGUI
endblock

The full list of keycodes, and a lot more info, are in the Soarer's docs.
REΛLFORCE

Offline dellmodelm

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 August 2023, 17:18:44 »
Thank you for the code to remap the key. I've been sitting here since your reply trying to figure out how to implement that? I've been through some website called Sharktastica and downloaded a bunch of hex files (?) and wound up with something called "hid_listen.exe". I copied and pasted the code into that and when I pushed Enter, the window disappeared. Tried pushing SysReq, nothing happened. I guess my question is, how do I reprogram or send the code to the Soarer's?

Thank you.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 August 2023, 19:09:00 »
The Soarer's docs & programming tools can all be found in the first post of this thread.
REΛLFORCE

Offline dellmodelm

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 August 2023, 19:22:58 »
I am so sorry, but NOTHING on that link, or any other documentation I've found anywhere, makes sense. I don't have a programming background (I so much wish I did!).

I've downloaded multiple files from GH and DT (and others).

I mean, how do I "send" the code you gave me ("remapblock // EXTRA_SYSRQ RGUI // endblock") to the Soarer's?

Closest I've gotten is a YouTube video with someone trying to do what I'm doing, with a Model M and a Soarer's, and it's... Linux. (!)

I'm about to box the Soarer's up and send it back where I bought it from.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 August 2023, 19:37:46 by dellmodelm »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 August 2023, 15:32:21 »
No need to return the Soarer's since it's doing it's job. You're using a keyboard you wouldn't otherwise be able to even plug in.

The instructions & programming tools are all in the first ZIP file in the list of ZIP files in the first post of the thread I pointed you to above titled "Soarer_Converter_v1.0.zip" . Once you have the programming tools unpacked & ready to go the instructions will make more sense. It's a multi-step process:

Write your conversion code in plain english as I did above

Use one of the tools (scas) to convert your code file into a hex file for Soarer's to understand

Use another of the tools (scwr) to write (send) this newly converted file to the converter

Use your newly programmed keyboard. No need to reboot or un/plug the keyboard, it's ready to go right away.

Soarer's instructions in that ZIP file are very good

Maybe this will help.
REΛLFORCE