Author Topic: CLOSED  (Read 10613 times)

Offline transcend3nt

CLOSED
« on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:02:15 »
IC/GB CLOSED

Hello,

I have posted this up before, and I closed it hastily and now reopening it again due to mis-communication with SP.

Kindly spend 1-2 minutes to browse through this:

Introduction
The story is that I bought a couple of glow caps from Signature Plastics couple of weeks back.

Attached is a photo of a glow cap (in the middle):

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 48652[/ATTACH]

I don't know how many of you like glow caps, but I am one of those who go crazy over them.

They look good on both backlit and non-backlit keyboards. Please continue reading for what I have to "present" for these glow caps.

However, they are BLANKS, they only come in R4 profiles so there isn't any 104 sets around! Thus, I have created this thread to garner interest in this.

Backlit keyboards

These glow caps allow LED light from backlit keyboards to shine through them much better than the KBC PBT white keycaps. The follow photo is taken from my trigger.

Under normal lighting conditions (FN Row: Glow caps, Print Screen: KBC PBT White on black):

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 48671[/ATTACH]

Under dark conditions (FN Row: Glow caps, Print Screen: KBC PBT White on black):

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 48672[/ATTACH]

Under dark conditions, Ducky SHINE (multiple color LEDs) using KBC PBT White on black keycaps:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 48664[/ATTACH]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 48665[/ATTACH]

If you notice closely, the white KBC PBT key caps has "red dots" on them.

The glow caps on the other hand, allow the light to "diffuse" and spread out evenly throughout the top half* of the keycap, giving a eerie feel. Well, in short, it gives off a very big dot under clear lighting conditions and gives off no dots during dark conditions.

The caps glows slightly after the LED is switched off. Still visible to the naked eye within 2-3 meters of view.

The two photos are taken from my Trigger at brightness level 1 (it has 5 levels of lighting). Given such low brightness, the glow cap is able to propagate to a brightness clearly under normal lightning conditions which the KBC white caps doesn't do. Not that this is the differentiating point, just saying.

The photos do not do justice to them as I'm not good and photography and I'm not sure if it will convince you. Black legends will definitely be well received than engraved/blanks.

*Since the LED is located at the top of every cherry MX switch.

Non-backlit keyboards

I have nothing much to say about these on non-backlit keyboards as I'm a fan of backlit keyboards.

They look normal on them, but giving it an additional glow effect would be awesome.

They can easily replace black on white keycaps, in my opinion.

The black on "white/greenish tint" can easily be distinguished even in the dark like other normal white keycaps do.

Conclusion

i3oilermaker is our organizer!

CONUS / Canada / International Shipping rates have not been confirmed yet (TBC by organizer)

Payment will be in required ASAP after 10 May 2012.

Once payments have been received, order will be made the soonest to Signature Plastics.

Folks that are "Interested" thus far. PMs have been sent out for confirmation:

net2522
dorkvader
All The Fire
silat
TheSoulhunter
noctoocto

Folks that are willing to buy:

user / number of sets

1. transcend3nt / 1
2. i3oilermaker / 1
3. boost / 1

75. cyclonechuah / 1

The price quote I have received from SP:

Pricing for sets manufactured in Glow in the Dark material (Blanks):
<5 sets << WE ARE HERE.
5 sets $217.28 / set
10 sets $131.67 / set
15 sets $103.14 / set
25 sets $80.31 / set
50 sets $63.19 / set << TARGET // excluding shipping
75 sets $57.48 / set
100 sets $54.63 / set
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 May 2012, 05:49:23 by transcend3nt »

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:06:11 »
I'm confused - I thought we closed this since legends on glow caps was not possible.

Melissa's reply to my query was: "We can only make blank glow in the dark keycaps - sorry!"

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
CLOSED
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:08:36 »
I love to buy one too.

Offline transcend3nt

CLOSED
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:18:05 »
Quote from: i3oilermaker;579823
I'm confused - I thought we closed this since legends on glow caps was not possible.

Melissa's reply to my query was: "We can only make blank glow in the dark keycaps - sorry!"

She misread the mail. She thought I wanted negative key caps (translucent -> coated black -> lasered off for legends).

I clarified again, and the quoted message is exactly what she has replied.

Offline Nighted

CLOSED
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:26:54 »
Strange they can't make double shots using the luminescent plastic.

I suppose there is some physical element or procedure involved that makes this not possible?
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
CLOSED
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:28:14 »
What is it like when they're not glow. I mean in the normal light. Do you have any pic.?

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
CLOSED
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:29:16 »
I don't mind running the GB, but I think we should do a formal IC first since it is a hard sell at the price point and we may not have enough orders to make this worth while.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
CLOSED
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:33:21 »
Could do a non-IC order thread like the Alien key GB...

Make the GB, point out that if you don't get enough orders it doesn't happen and give a cutoff date.  GB and IC all in one with less hassle, really.

Don't forget sorting costs, shipping from SP to the coordinator, and anything else I don't know about having not run a GB previously.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
CLOSED
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:40:10 »
I think these are cool, but I'm pessimistic we can hit the numbers due to price point.  If we get enough initial interest here, I can open an order thread, but I am reluctant to waste the time on that until at least 15 people proclaim their desire to cough up $125 for a set.

Offline transcend3nt

CLOSED
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:40:17 »
Quote from: Nighted;579861
Strange they can't make double shots using the luminescent plastic.

I suppose there is some physical element or procedure involved that makes this not possible?

Yup, with this material, doubleshots cannot be produced.

Quote from: net2522;579865
What is it like when they're not glow. I mean in the normal light. Do you have any pic.?

I couldn't capture it on camera. It needs to be exposed with a high level of brightness (i tried using torchlight) to be able to be captured visibly in a photo, but I think that'd be quite deceiving as people might have a wrong perception. It glows green.

Quote from: i3oilermaker;579868
I don't mind running the GB, but I think we should do a formal IC first since it is a hard sell at the price point and we may not have enough orders to make this worth while.

That's great! I would gladly close this thread and pass you the codes for you to include in your new IC thread. Perhaps we can wait for a few days and see the responses.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:42:23 by transcend3nt »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
CLOSED
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:51:53 »
Code: [Select]
5 sets   $344.81
10 sets  $222.53
15 sets  $182.11
25 sets  $149.77
50 sets  $125.52
75 sets  $117.44
100 sets $113.39

And if the sorting fee is still .03/key you're looking at:  $3.12/set for sorting, tack on the SP->coord shipping and the shipping options coord->buyer and you have ~$140/set at 50 sets.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 April 2012, 12:01:43 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline NYC

CLOSED
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 11:59:37 »
i got one of these same glow key caps and its not bad in the dark. but not ultra bright either, i think i might be intrested in a set tho.
Camo Filco Cherry Blues tkl, White Filco Majestouch 2 Cherry Browns tkl

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
CLOSED
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 00:09:30 »
I may be interested, if they were blank. Will that be an option?

Offline All The Fire

CLOSED
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 April 2012, 23:29:34 »
I want to be interested but the price point does make it hard, even if you do get 50 sets.

Offline cyclonechuah

CLOSED
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 00:01:52 »
i'm interested, doesn't care if they have legends or Blank, but i prefer Blank.

Offline silat

CLOSED
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 02:41:43 »
Interested........
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline transcend3nt

CLOSED
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 10:54:19 »
hey guys. i've obtained a quote for blanks.

Blanks:
5 sets            $217.28 / set
10 sets          $131.67 / set
15 sets          $103.14 / set
25 sets          $80.31 / set
50 sets          $63.19 / set
75 sets          $57.48 / set
100 sets        $54.63 / set

hopefully, there will be more interest seeing how cheaper it is now.

engraving would be much more expensive than black printed as it is a "3 step process". so that's out as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 April 2012, 11:01:27 by transcend3nt »

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
CLOSED
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 11:11:27 »
I think you may get some interest around the 75-100 set price, but getting there will be a long and arduous journey

Offline transcend3nt

CLOSED
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 May 2012, 04:44:39 »
we have an approximate of 7 people interested.

anybody else who might be interested? if not, i think this IC will end soon.

Offline All The Fire

CLOSED
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 01 May 2012, 04:55:47 »
To be honest, I'm not at all a fan of the half glowing keycap, I grew to really dislike it with white PBT's very quickly. I appreciate this is more even and spread but it's still half the cap, I'd rather see the whole cap glow even (by some sort of magic???) or just the letters.

What are these made of? Has anyone tried white Delrin caps? I saw a 37 set on ebay a couple weeks ago but didn't bite, and I've heard theory that with white delrin on a backlit keyboard you may find the whole cap lit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 May 2012, 04:59:01 by All The Fire »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
CLOSED
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 01 May 2012, 14:15:41 »
Interested in 1 or 2 blank sets!

Offline transcend3nt

CLOSED
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 00:29:13 »
Quote from: All The Fire;587136
To be honest, I'm not at all a fan of the half glowing keycap, I grew to really dislike it with white PBT's very quickly. I appreciate this is more even and spread but it's still half the cap, I'd rather see the whole cap glow even (by some sort of magic???) or just the letters.

What are these made of? Has anyone tried white Delrin caps? I saw a 37 set on ebay a couple weeks ago but didn't bite, and I've heard theory that with white delrin on a backlit keyboard you may find the whole cap lit.

The whole cap will glow. The "half spread" theory is when used with a LED keyboard. The spread of LED light can only reach half of the keycap because of physical design patterns as the LED bulb is placed on the upper part of the switch with the stem blocking the travel of light towards the bottom. No other key cap in the world (i believe) can do that except full transparent caps which refracts LED light nicely throughout the cap.

They won't be fully white. It will give out a greenish tint under clear conditions, unless the light source in your place is really bright like from a touch light (well, then you'll get a very nice glow afterwards). I don't think it will the color will "depreciate" as badly as full white caps such that you will need a stringent maintenance schedule to keep it fully "white".

If only the legends were glowing, then any backlit keyboard would have done the job. Another nice alternative is black printed but it's too expensive.

Glad to see that 8 people are interested thus far
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 May 2012, 00:35:54 by transcend3nt »

Offline noctoocto

CLOSED
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 00:57:54 »
Definitely interested now that this is blanks.

Offline transcend3nt

CLOSED
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 07:42:54 »
hi everyone, i will run this IC from 3-10 may 2012. if there are sufficient responses and if the price is within everyone's stated budget , i'll get an organizer to get this running.

this organizer will have to be within the US i suppose.

please indicate the number of sets / minimum budget you would like to have. please treat this as if you're really making the order so that this IC can be as realistic as possible.

if there is no suitable organizer even if we're good to go after 10 may, this buy will not happen.

update: just got word that i3oilermaker would be willing to be our organizer. kindly support this buy! this is a one time thing.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 May 2012, 07:50:04 by transcend3nt »

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
CLOSED
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 07:56:08 »
I think it would spur interest if we set a minimum order for the buy to be a go.  Maybe 50 sets?

Offline xquisit

CLOSED
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 08:02:28 »
50sets, I might be interested.

I purchased my first mechanical keyboard (RACE with white keycaps)..so i don't know if the white will suit my needs.
I\'d rather die like a man than live like a coward - 2pac

Offline transcend3nt

CLOSED
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 08:05:03 »
alright, i'll follow your advice. i've set the minimum 50 sets to go. i'll add in your order as well, xquisit. (oh wait, i read too quickly. you might be interested :()
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 May 2012, 08:19:44 by transcend3nt »

Offline bavman

CLOSED
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 12:12:45 »
You should also have an option for people to buy just row 1 single keys. I'd be down for at least a few singles.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
CLOSED
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 15:27:30 »
Put me down for a set :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline cyclonechuah

CLOSED
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 15:50:05 »
i'll only be interested if it's reached 75 sets $57.48 / set

Offline xquisit

CLOSED
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 16:57:09 »
Will the keys fit on a RACE? all of them?
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 May 2012, 08:15:02 by xquisit »

Offline transcend3nt

CLOSED
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 09:38:42 »
Quote from: bavman;588216
You should also have an option for people to buy just row 1 single keys. I'd be down for at least a few singles.

Row 1 keys (FN, F1-F12) keys can be bought directly from SP. i think they look awkward when used alone at row 1 profiles, that is why i yearn for a 104 set.

Quote from: boost;588343
Put me down for a set :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

alright, but i think we wont hit the quota at this rate :(

Offline transcend3nt

CLOSED
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 09:41:34 »
Quote from: bavman;588216

Quote from: xquisit;588430
Will the keys fit on a RACE? all of them?

Hi, no.

Please note that RACE's ESC, F1-F12, FN keys has a profile that I do not know what it is. it's higher than the R1 in 104 sets.

in addition, the pg up, down, home, end keys do not use its default profile (i believe its r3) in the RACE keyboard. i have a RACE with me and i tried to change these keys as well.

you cannot fit all the keys with any 104 sets out in the market, unfortunately. that is one disadvantage of owning the RACE.

Offline xquisit

CLOSED
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 18:28:39 »
Shoot, no wonder you wanted to buy a set of white keycaps for the RACE.

I was about to sell mine to you (if you were still interested) or someone else, to get in on these...

Now that you said I won't be able to use it for:
Esc
F1-F12
And PgUp PgDwn, Home, End Keys...

Darn, that might look wierd on the RACE...

Maybe I can buy four just for the arrow keys, will that work? *from their direct site of course*