Author Topic: Two years since Unicomp Announced a new SSK  (Read 2634 times)

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Two years since Unicomp Announced a new SSK
« on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:55:30 »
It's been two years since they announced, with plans to make it available for the 2014 holiday season.: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56668

And...nothing.  I'm sure nobody is surprised.

The work going on by "homebrewers" for new F's or FSSKs would seem to capture the hardcore enthusiasts, but I think the more general market for mechanicals would be more comfortable buying from a larger company and would be perfectly happy with M construction.

Have they missed their chance?

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Two years since Unicomp Announced a new SSK
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:57:32 »
April Fools'!

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 20:02:12 »
Sounds like the Matias 60% LoL.
But I placed my money on Matias.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 20:58:13 »
It makes me very sad.

A Model M SSK is close to my end game, the only thing better would be a TKL Model F.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:01:40 »
A Model M SSK is close to my end game, the only thing better would be a TKL Model F.

Aren't they commonly available these days in the $200 range?

A couple of years ago they spiked to nearly twice that.
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:17:03 »
Pretty much, but it would be nice to know you can get new ones if that's what you wanted. Plus, I'm getting ready to do a "bolt" mod on my daily driver and the plastic barrel plate is super brittle. I know you can cut full size ones down, but it would be nice to have model specific parts.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:18:16 »

Yes they are, but I think if I had to choose, I would probably choose a 122 key F over a TKL Model M.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:38:36 »
I was actually expecting it to happen in 2014, but later I realized I was too naive. Now I have jumped in for a F62 so I don't care any more if Unicomp ever make a SSK.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:52:04 »
I was actually expecting it to happen in 2014, but later I realized I was too naive. Now I have jumped in for a F62 so I don't care any more if Unicomp ever make a SSK.
How good are the quality on these "new" Model F's compared to the old ones?

The F77 is really tempting, It's not TKL however it has a bunch of extra keys on the left that could substitute for F-Keys and a nav cluster. I also can save some money and use the caps from my M.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:58:25 »
How good are the quality on these "new" Model F's compared to the old ones?

The F77 is really tempting, It's not TKL however it has a bunch of extra keys on the left that could substitute for F-Keys and a nav cluster. I also can save some money and use the caps from my M.

Nobody knows.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 22:10:07 »

Yes they are, but I think if I had to choose, I would probably choose a 122 key F over a TKL Model M.
Yup. Same here.
Chris Schammert

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 22:13:49 »
It's been two years since they announced, with plans to make it available for the 2014 holiday season.: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56668

And...nothing.  I'm sure nobody is surprised.

The work going on by "homebrewers" for new F's or FSSKs would seem to capture the hardcore enthusiasts, but I think the more general market for mechanicals would be more comfortable buying from a larger company and would be perfectly happy with M construction.

Have they missed their chance?

I don't think they've missed their chance, since us BS lovers are a patient lot. It's very weird and frustrating that Unicomp does not follow through on these products. Are they incapable of executing even a limited run special edition? I believe there is a limited, but enthusiastic group of folks that represent a significant pent up demand for a new SSK or even that kooky ~65% render, something that would provide a nice, if temporary, boost to the demand for their keyboards. I guess if their management does not believe they could pull it off profitably, then they won't do it. Their manufacturing equipment might be getting too old to stress it with such a potential spike in orders. Just thinking out loud. I'm a big fan of Unicomp, having purchased at least 4 of their KBs over the years.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 01:54:56 »
I have managed to acquire 2 SSKs since then, both are in great condition.

Thus I have no plans to buy a new one, especially if it has an abomination of a layout like that one in the screen capture showed.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ