Author Topic: Is there a modding service in EU?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Barracuda

Is there a modding service in EU?
« on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 13:34:29 »
See title, I was wondering if there was a modding service in EU. I know margo is very busy, so that isn't an option and I haven't heard of anyone else that offers the same services.
Looking for a matte Blackout V2!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Is there a modding service in EU?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 14:15:01 »
What would you like done? I've thought about offering a soldering service, but I'm not going to call myself a modder...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Bucake

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 17:51:43 »
What would you like done? I've thought about offering a soldering service, but I'm not going to call myself a modder...

i have a KBT pure pro (which is plate-mounted) with reds that i would very much like to have lubed, but i have never soldered in my life (and i don't have soldering equipment) so it's just something i've refrained from doing..
i have also been thinking about looking for a realforce 87u type-s and a realforce 87u 55g, because i really want to have a (lubed) 55g type-s.
would you do either of these..? i'm willing to pay well, as long as nothing gets damaged.

i've never even opened up a keyboard myself, so i don't really have faith in doing any modding myself :D
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 19:16:11 »
You might ask over at Deskthority. A big part of the European keyboard community seems to hang out more over there than at Geekhack (which seems to be mostly Americans), though obviously both sites have people from around the world and a good deal of membership overlap.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 19:17:03 »
So desoldering 60 switches with LEDs?  I could do that, but unless I buy a desoldering station the "no damage" part will be a problem.  If you keep the case on you might not know it's damaged as it would work perfectly, but that's not the same thing...

I've just had a quick look and desoldering stations aren't cheap but not silly money either and this is a good excuse to get one - I'll have to have a proper look tomorrow as it's getting late, but how much were you thinking the mod would cost so I know how much I'll have to add?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:14:39 »
So desoldering 60 switches with LEDs?  I could do that, but unless I buy a desoldering station the "no damage" part will be a problem.
With a Soldapullt, desoldering keyswitches and LEDs is maybe 20–30% slower than with a desoldering station, but doing it with “no damage” is pretty easy if you are reasonably careful. (Basically just: use a not-too-tiny chisel tip on your soldering iron, make sure you keep it tinned, keep your iron at the right temperature for the type of solder you’re using, and don’t hold it on a joint for more than 4–5 seconds.) I’ve desoldered a couple dozen keyboards with only a Soldapullt without lifting any pads or damaging any traces.

If you need to desolder like 50 keyboards, a proper desoldering station is nice, because you don’t have to tire your hands out pushing the plunger back down for every joint you want to desolder, and you do end up saving some time overall, but for just a few keyboards (or whatever else) a Soldapullt works great.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 January 2015, 21:18:48 by jacobolus »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 02:26:10 »
So desoldering 60 switches with LEDs?  I could do that, but unless I buy a desoldering station the "no damage" part will be a problem.
With a Soldapullt, desoldering keyswitches and LEDs is maybe 20–30% slower than with a desoldering station, but doing it with “no damage” is pretty easy if you are reasonably careful. (Basically just: use a not-too-tiny chisel tip on your soldering iron, make sure you keep it tinned, keep your iron at the right temperature for the type of solder you’re using, and don’t hold it on a joint for more than 4–5 seconds.) I’ve desoldered a couple dozen keyboards with only a Soldapullt without lifting any pads or damaging any traces.

If you need to desolder like 50 keyboards, a proper desoldering station is nice, because you don’t have to tire your hands out pushing the plunger back down for every joint you want to desolder, and you do end up saving some time overall, but for just a few keyboards (or whatever else) a Soldapullt works great.

Switches I'm fine with but LEDs not so much.  It's hard to know what temperature to use when the solder is an unknown and the small through hole bits seem to pull out very easily so the first ones are at risk :(

Maybe I just need more practice or maybe I've not played with a rework friendly PCB, but whatever the reason I'm not currently comfortable making a "no damage" guarantee to someone.  I will experiment on any PCB I can find later and see if I've just been unlucky, your thoughts are encouraging!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 03:32:03 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45886.0

List of artisan services, including mods and repairs.

Maybe something in there will still be relevant and applicable.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 06:36:18 »
I can do the job if you want, just send a PM if you are interested
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:14:34 »
Oh wow somehow I didn't get aby notifications for my thread...
Yeah I'm looking for a led swap and switch swap (into clear casing) for a poker 2, would that be possible? 
Looking for a matte Blackout V2!