Author Topic: [HELP] Ergodox Not Functioning when Left Side Connected  (Read 736 times)

Offline Ambit

[HELP] Ergodox Not Functioning when Left Side Connected
« on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 10:35:02 »
I decided to test the left half of my Ergodox last night since I had that half fully assembled (waiting for more diodes for the right). After loading a test layout I found that all but two keys were working. Upon opening the case up and checking I found that those two diodes were loose. After prodding at all of the diodes, I found a few more that weren't connected properly so I made note of which ones needed to be fixed.

Today I went and resoldered the bad diodes and checked them with a multimeter. Then I went to test the board again, but this time found the entire keyboard to be non-functional. After fooling around with the keyboard, I noticed that the LEDs that light during boot don't do anything if I connect the keyboard to my computer while the left side is connected. If I disconnect the left half however, the LEDs light and (at least one of) the keys are functional.

I checked the TRRS connector when it's connected and I see 5V from the tip and both rings to the sleeve. I'm thinking it could be a current draw problem, but I don't know where I should probe for that.

EDIT: I split the USB cable and probed the +5V wire. I see 28 mA when the halves are disconnected from each other and only 19 mA when the halves are connected.

EDIT 2: Did a continuity test on the jack and found an oddity. In the image below, 1 is continuous with 2 and 3, but 2 and 3 are not continuous with each other.

EDIT 3: Resoldered the jumper and now it works! New challenge is getting used to typing on this thing!
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 April 2015, 12:52:40 by Ambit »