Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2349863 times)

Offline pupmonster

I purchased actually now 3 model Fs (2 received) and I have gone through quite a few iterations of my configurations and used the custom QMK Configurator, hosted on a non-secured http -- not https -- site using a numeric IP address. I will not put the address here in case that would be a security issue.  Is it now possible to use the standard QMK Configurator, the one that comes up on top in a Google Search?

I am concerned about the long-term sustainability and availability of the aforementioned bespoke Configurator.

Oh, in case you are wondering why I am not using VIA? Well, I have the QMK Configurator figured out and it works for me. I am also able to put my configs into my GIT repo and have them versioned there. Maybe that works for VIA as well, but I am not sure.

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
I recommend that everyone switches over to Vial as you can use it with a standalone open source program or without having to download anything, through the vial.rocks web site.  Vial is now going to be the main firmware for the F and beam spring projects.

Deskthority member wolfman is working on the refactoring so that the project is accepted into QMK (more details are on the DT project thread) but it is a slow process.  Currently you must use the beta site linked to in the manual if you want to continue using QMK, though it is not recommended unless there is a board that does not yet have a Vial configuration (for example, some of the universal Model F controllers and the controllers for the various original IBM beam spring keyboards).

Offline pupmonster

Thanks Ellipse for the answer. Do you mind if I ask some clarification questions?

a. On the new not-yet-shipped keyboards (e.g., Classic Style FSSK Model F), if I wish to use the QMK Configurator, I will have to swap out the firmware, correct?

b. Or, on newer Vial Firmware that is now installed on all shipments, such firmware is also compatible with adjustments made with QMK Configurator, correct?

c. On older, already delivered keyboards (roughly vintage <=2022, e.g. F77s and Ultra Compact FSSK Model F), if I wish to use Vial, I have to swap out the firmware, correct?

d. All the default firmware can be found here: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/QMK-layout-files.zip, including the latest and greatest for Vial, correct?

Thanks for the clarification, seņor!

Offline Ellipse

a.  Yes, since the default will be Vial.
b.  I don't know; you may want to ask over on Deskthority if the open source Vial code for the new Model F keyboards will work with Vial or if a few things will require adjustment.
c.  Yes, most boards run on QMK since Model F Vial is so new.  I do flash the latest Vial on some of the boards, such as the round 1 beam 104/ssk and round 1 Model F F104/FSSK, F15, F Ortho, F50, and for those who write a note requesting it.  But it is very easy to flash yourself with either Vial or QMK (details are in the recently updated manual on the project website).
d.  Yes

Offline Ellipse

Project update:

I have just approved production of the final part, the cases, one year and a day after the official announcement of the project on 3/31/23.

The factory estimates that production and final assembly of completed inner assemblies into the cases will be completed by early May now that the cases have been approved.  If they can pack everything on the container shipment by mid to late May, then by July these could start going out.

After spending many months, the factory has achieved an excellent match both to the IBM Model F original 4704 and IBM beam spring off-white/beige color as well as to my reference IBM Industrial Model M industrial gray case color.  As mentioned earlier, the texture will be a smoother, slightly more modern one, much less bumpy than the (also nice) 4704 keyboard texture.

These same colors were also approved for the beam spring cases, which is why the beige color was a compromise since the IBM beige color varied noticeably among the different powdercoated Model F keyboards and beam spring keyboards in my collection.

From top to bottom:  Top photo:  NOS F50 (I plan on listing this for sale soon - please PM or email me if interested), approved off-white/beige sample F122 case (sample inner assembly plate not painted), IBM original beam spring keyboard.  Bottom photo:  approved industrial gray sample case, NOS IBM Industrial Gray Model M case.
307131-0
307133-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 April 2024, 23:54:13 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

reddit member Grianaig has posted a nice update including photos showing the classic case F62 being setup and the finished product as well.  I especially like the photo of the keyboard during the keycap installation process, properly oriented vertically, spacebar end up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/modelf/comments/1beg69i/my_new_model_f_labs_f62_pictures/

Offline Ellipse

I have just approved production and assembly of the F122 inner assembly, so now the F122 can proceed to completion.

Below are the first photos of the approved F122 keyboard!

The F122 was a trickier PCB design. Once again a big thanks to forum member wcass (the designer of the PCBs for the capacitive projects) for this huge undertaking. There was an issue where a via was too close to a key pad, which resulted in a higher signal level only for that key. wcass updated the PCB by moving the via away from the key and rearranging some of the column ordering to facilitate placement of that via.

Rico expects to have a firmware update ready in the next few days but testing with the old firmware and my testing has shown no issues with some keys being high value. Rico also came up with a workaround to add a bin for such keys, just in case the PCB could not be adjusted to put the outlier key in line with the other keys' signals.
307151-0
307153-1
307155-2
307157-3
307159-4

Offline clay

I have just approved production and assembly of the F122 inner assembly, so now the F122 can proceed to completion.

Below are the first photos of the approved F122 keyboard!

The F122 was a trickier PCB design. Once again a big thanks to forum member wcass (the designer of the PCBs for the capacitive projects) for this huge undertaking. There was an issue where a via was too close to a key pad, which resulted in a higher signal level only for that key. wcass updated the PCB by moving the via away from the key and rearranging some of the column ordering to facilitate placement of that via.

Rico expects to have a firmware update ready in the next few days but testing with the old firmware and my testing has shown no issues with some keys being high value. Rico also came up with a workaround to add a bin for such keys, just in case the PCB could not be adjusted to put the outlier key in line with the other keys' signals.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Hi Ellipse! I really like the design of that board! Does it have a detachable cable? I think a lot of us would appreciate it if the future boards have a USB C connection that can be accessed without opening up the keyboard, so that users can easily connect and disconnect cables.

Offline Ellipse

For all new F and beam models, the controller has a USB-C connector so you can detach the cable from the inside.  You can always get a USB-C patch extension cable if you want easy detachability. 

Offline Ellipse

Nice seeing everyone at yesterday's NYC meetup!  The meetup was completely sold out and over 150 people attended.  I brought the approved Classic F104, Classic F77, and Round 2 beam spring keyboard for everyone to try out.

Offline ksm123

Just a happy customer.

I've ordered my Ultracompact F104 on February 29th. Mail label was created on March 16th, package entered postal system on March 19th. I've received it after customs on April 8th (in EU).

Installation, including disassembly and switching to short spacebar and additional modifier took me about an hour. One key required some care to make it work, and ANSI Enter was a little sticky, but I managed to deal with it according to instruction manual. Keyboard worked right after plugging it to a laptop. Additional modifier required dealing with udev rules so VIAL would work, but it wasn't anything excessively complicated.

My suggestions to @Ellipse :
Modify manual by adding information on tools required for each operation. I expected Philips screws and I was surprised that torx screws were used.

Offline Ellipse

Thanks for the feedback ksm123!

Someone let me know that the New Model F project was mentioned in the Shift Happens book on keyboards!  This is a very interesting project to document the various keyboards that have been made.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mwichary/shift-happens

Offline Tseg

For all new F and beam models, the controller has a USB-C connector so you can detach the cable from the inside.  You can always get a USB-C patch extension cable if you want easy detachability.

With a dremmel tool, $14 USB-C extender, several hours and a bit of luck I adapted my F77 to have an external mount USB-C.   I dremmeled away just the right amount of zinc and by luck the two case halves screw together completely but also clamp down on this mount very securely (after sanding some grooves into the mount plastic internal side).  While the mod project was rewarding and I'm happy with the result, considering just about all custom keyboards have external USB-C mounts I can only speculate why an external USB-C was never fashioned for this board.   Like Steven Spielberg said about making movies, one never really finishes a project, at some point you just give up and put it in market.

All things considered, I'm happy with the purchase.

« Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2024, 14:52:29 by Tseg »