Author Topic: I Want To Build A Custom Board...  (Read 1065 times)

Offline nceheil

I Want To Build A Custom Board...
« on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 14:18:06 »
I am rather new to the whole geekhack and mechanical keyboards thing however I have been looking a lot through the different topics/discussions and I feel rather lost...
I really want to build a custom board and wire it myself however I find it really hard to find the parts for sale and I guess I don't really know what a reasonable price for the parts would be.
I am really sorry if this is explained somewhere else...Honestly I have looked (A LOT) and have not found it!
So what I really want to know is:
I want to build a metal plate mounted board:
       -I want to be able to remove the switch caps to replace the springs etc without desoldering the switches.
I also would like to have RGB LED's however I do not know how and can not find good instructions about this.
So if you guys could help me find/Figure this stuff out I would really appreciate it!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: I Want To Build A Custom Board...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 03:20:19 »
Welcome to GH :)

I think we need to clarify some things before jumping in with where to buy.

Are you thinking RGB backlighting?  RGB LEDs require four wires going to each LED (one to control each colour plus a ground or power) and this is why you don't see many (any?) handwired boards with it.  Most backlit boards (even single colour) use a PCB to keep things tidy, you just need to solder switches, diodes and LEDs into it.

This gives you two options - find a PCB which can be built with the layout you want, or design your own PCB and send it off to get the real thing made.  Same applies to the plate.  Do you have a custom layout in mind?

Another thing with backlighting is that either the LEDs go in the switches and standard switches are opaque black so the light only shines out of one side so for the best effect RGB boards use clear switch tops so this doesn't happen.  The other option is putting the LEDs on the PCB between the switches, but with a metal plate you won't be able to see them...

Take your time, this will not be a cheap project so it's better to get exactly what you want than get something not quite perfect quickly :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod