Author Topic: Keycool 22 keys numpad MX Blue Review  (Read 11454 times)

Offline gh_pp

Keycool 22 keys numpad MX Blue Review
« on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 15:22:32 »
So I just got this little guy 2 days ago.

I have gone all TKL now (work x1 / home x2) and most of the times I don’t miss the numpad but I do from time to time wish I had access to it at work. With a detached numpad I could place it in front of my TKL or to the left or just out of the way.

I searched on newegg and amazon and most of the numpads out there either don’t have mech switches or they don’t have USB ports.

I want one with USB ports so I can kill two birds with one stone, reducing some wires clutter on my desk.

So when I found this keycool I immediately purchase it since it meets all of my requirements. I wish there are switch choices like regular keyboard but I realized that they don’t sell the same volume so it’s hard for the vendor to justify stocking up on all different variety.

My preference would be brown but blue is not bad, at least it’s not linear switch since this is not used for gaming.

The build quality is not bad except for one thing - the underside/four rubber foots are not even and it wobbles on my desk. I tried a different desk and it wobbles the same way and my other keyboards are fine so I’m sure either their build quality is not good or I got a lemon.

I’m too lazy to ask for exchange I’ll just keep it since I don’t use it often but it could be annoying if you have a keyboard that has uneven surface you know what I mean.

The numpad comes with a useful functional layer as seen in this picture.

It compliments your TKL or 60% that don’t have a FN layer like the realforce or filco. I have QFR / QFS so I got the volume up/down combo covered already but at work I use the realforce.

The realforce has an embedded numpad layer and it’s toggled with the numlock.
So when I use this numpad along with the realforce at work, I can’t have quick access to the numbers layer on the numpad because that conflicts with my typing on the realforce until I found the dipswitch setting to turn off the numpad.

So there you have it. If you have a keyboard with embedded numpad layer, make sure it has a dipswitch settings otherwise the numpad will be useless.

Overall if not for the uneven surface I’d give this keycool a solid 8/10 considerin the price/quality ratio.

Edit: I've seen other people's post with embedded pictures and they dont show up huge in their post but instead will go fullsize when you click on it. I just use this forum's img tag and it doesn't work the same way. Anyone knows how to fix it?
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2013, 02:15:36 by gh_pp »
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Keycool 22 keys numpad MX Blue Review
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 19:53:56 »
Thanks for the review!

Do these have a plate in them?  Maybe it is slightly warped.  Have you tried grasping opposite sides of it and twisting slightly?  This technique works for full-size boards that wobble slightly on a flat surface.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 19:58:15 »
Does this send proper alt codes?

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 11:51:08 »
Does this send proper alt codes?

http://www.kc-keycool.com/en/product.php?mod=detail&id=27

Sorry to get back to you late. At first I didn't understand your question but reading the recent thread regarding the leo now I understand where you are coming from.

Just tested this with the EK key testers.

I select the 104 layout from the app, and all the numpad keys lit up corresponding to the keys on the KC22  :thumb:

For $35 shipped free it's a great deal since I really want the USB hub to reduce clutter on my desk.

Looks like its out of stock on banggood and the christmas tree version is still not available yet

http://www.banggood.com/KEYCOOL-22-Key-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-White-With-LED-p-83207.html
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 06:43:01 »
[mispost; please ignore/delete]
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 November 2016, 08:55:42 by DreymaR »
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál