Author Topic: MX Green vs. Topre vs. Matias  (Read 5385 times)

Offline fleischverpackung

MX Green vs. Topre vs. Matias
« on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 05:33:30 »
hi all,

so this is not going to be a full detail review, I just want to share my opinion with you guys..

I like to slap the **** out of keyboards. I alway bottom out. But I like the premium haptics of good interface devices.
For years I had my old Highscreen Keyboard from my 386, then switched to a ****ty Lenovo Rubberdome, and finally bought myself a Filco Majestouch about three years ago. This was my first mechanical keyboard. For me the 45?g of the MX blues were much to soft, so I changed all the springs and build a "ghetto green".

Now I am looking for a good keyboard for work and ordered a Matias Quiet Click Pro and a Topre Realforce after reading a lot of reviews and threads on the net and in here. My ranking:

#1 Topre
#2 Matias
#3 Cherry

(excuse my english but I am not going to look up all these words ;)
The trigger force on my Filco is so high, that I can bearly feel the click. The click feels small, tiny, very pronounced and sharp when it is there. The filco keyboard build is super sturdy and premium.
The keys on the Matias are a bit "wobblier" than on the filco (which is not a bad thing) it feels lively and sympatic. The keys are lighter to press but the click itself is harder, more tactile, more pronounced. The keyboard feels a lot cheaper and I'm also no fan of the glossy finish. The usb hub is nice tough.
The Topre feels like something else. I really enjoy the bottom out feeling of this one, as it is dampened. There is a click, but it is also dampened, it is hard to explain. The feeling is like super mechanical but rubber smooth. The build is super sturdy, and the key material feels really great.

Originally I wanted to buy the Matias, but later on ordered a Realforce to try it out. It's not about the moneys or some kind of hipster ****. I really dig this one. But I recommend everyone to order different keyboards and choose thier favourite by actually using them.

cheers

Offline losing_ctrl

Re: MX Green vs. Topre vs. Matias
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 08:02:41 »
Hi, thanks for these comparisons, these are some of my favorite switches.  :thumb:

Just wondering: which RealForce did you buy - TKL or Full Size, uniform 55g or uniform 45g, or variable weight?

I am like you in that when I start getting immersed in what I am typing, I just pound away on the keys.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 09:01:50 »
Your findings are pretty similar to most people.  I overall prefer Topre, but I actually like Alps or even Romer-G for gaming better.  I have a silenced, SA capped Novatouch at work, and a G410 at home.  I really can notice the difference with the shorter throw of the switch.  I need to finish the custom stab wires for my Infinity someday so I can give it a go as well.  I've got all the materials, but have just been too busy with other little projects.

Offline Lipton

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 10:39:58 »
I recommend TOPRE!!!! I've had CherryMX keyboards for a while now... Reds, Blacks, Blues.

But the Topre feel beats them all hands down imho. Now granted I'm not much of a gamer as I use to be, but for pure typing pleasure I recommend Topre. I have the Coolermaster Nova Touch. I thought it was the best looking imho and you can use CherryMX keycaps on it!

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 10:54:49 »
I reccomend cherry. Matias is ok- midrange-but cherry has the superior feel. Matias feels slightly mushy, but torpes just feel like a light membrane keyboard. really mushy, really light, feels like you're pushing air. Typing is ok on torpes but i imagine they would wear out easy.
hi.

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 11:00:05 »
When it comes to tactile switches, I am also a Topre fan. I feel that Topre is the gold standard for tactile switches right now. I think Alps (Matias) tactiles are pretty good too, but I like Topre the best. The haptic response of the rubber dome collapsing is so very satisfying, and the key travel on the way down feels like typing on little pillows. It's amazing.

Of course, I have to have MX stem compatibility and 108 keys, which is why I am such a fan of the new RealForce RGB board. When properly damped with silencing rings, it is an amazing keyboard to type on. Just like a silenced NovaTouch, but adult-sized... ;)

Offline mousouchop

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 12:18:09 »
I realize you are using "ghetto greens" (converted MX Blues), but I'm curious: are the MX Greens the MX switch closest in feeling to Topres (or a certain type/subset of Topres at least)?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 15:06:50 »
I reccomend cherry. Matias is ok- midrange-but cherry has the superior feel. Matias feels slightly mushy, but torpes just feel like a light membrane keyboard. really mushy, really light, feels like you're pushing air. Typing is ok on torpes but i imagine they would wear out easy.

Topre isn't exactly known for wearing out rip

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 15:10:24 »