Author Topic: Problem with "linked" keys on a Model M keyboard  (Read 840 times)

Offline ZHENYA

Problem with "linked" keys on a Model M keyboard
« on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 14:54:52 »
Hello,

So I have an usual problem. I bought a Model M keyboard off of ebay (white label) from 1991. I plugged it in to my computer, it worked fine for a day and then I left my computer on overnight as I usually do, get on the next morning and have this issue of linked keys.

For example if I press T it also presses 4, if I press E it also presses 3 (up 1 row to the left every time) and I have this on quite a few keys and it makes using the keyboard impossible. I switched to another Model M and there are no issues. Tried the problematic keyboard on another computer and same issue crops up.  Nothing could have happened to the computer or keyboard at all overnight other than just being idle and now I have this issue.

I tried to google linked keys on a keyboard and I found a few people complaining about this with cheap OEM modern keyboards and the advice is just throw it out. Obviously with a Model M that's not something I want to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Re: Problem with "linked" keys on a Model M keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 08:46:48 »
That sounds like the membrane and/or controller is going bad. Either way, it needs a good amount of work done.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)