Author Topic: Post Pictures Of Your Desk/Set Ups!  (Read 1411813 times)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Desk/Set Ups!
« Reply #1250 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 01:33:45 »
The tricky part is finding the balance between "normal desktop area with KB+M in easy, ergonomic reach" and "flight sim cockpit". Too much conflict between ideal stick positioning and ideal mouse + mousepad positioning. Also got a big Steel Battalion control panel eating up space because I need the pedals for the time being. (Sold off my CH Pro Pedals, so I don't have proper rudder pedals right now.)

Perhaps build something like this:

Quick paint drawing (R) XD

And before someone asks about the pink Steelseries Experience I-2/Icemat, I didn't know it was going to be pink when I bought it; the color was unspecified.

Used the same mousepad for long time (in black tho), it's really nice!

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #1251 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 02:51:36 »
The tricky part is finding the balance between "normal desktop area with KB+M in easy, ergonomic reach" and "flight sim cockpit". Too much conflict between ideal stick positioning and ideal mouse + mousepad positioning. Also got a big Steel Battalion control panel eating up space because I need the pedals for the time being. (Sold off my CH Pro Pedals, so I don't have proper rudder pedals right now.)

(Attachment Link)

And before someone asks about the pink Steelseries Experience I-2/Icemat, I didn't know it was going to be pink when I bought it; the color was unspecified.

Nintendo DS?  Space Invader?  :confused:

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #1252 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 03:39:30 »

(Attachment Link)

33396-0

Better? :P

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #1253 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 10:06:50 »

(Attachment Link)

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

nice
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #1254 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 11:24:36 »
(Attachment Link)

Fortunately, I knew what you were getting at from the outset. That could be a workable solution...except I was thinking of having all the peripherals attached to platforms beside my seat, actually. (Probably not my current chair, though.)

The basic idea: your swivel arm suggestion applies to the chair, and holds the HOTAS as you'd expect...but off to the right of the stick will be the area for the mouse and Icemat. Off to the left of the throttle will probably be where I put my 3Dconnexion SpacePilot (not pictured because I keep it in a desk drawer when not in use). And inwards will be a split keyboard, probably the ErgoDox. It's about time I finally have a fully-programmable board with Cherry MX Clears!

If you can't quite visualize it, I'll whip up a crude sketch soon.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1255 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 11:44:50 »
I need a new desk.

Show Image

NICE MONITOR THERE! I ALSO LIKE THE IBM MODEL "M'' KEYBOARD TOO. NICE SETUP!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline unnatural

« Reply #1256 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 12:37:03 »
I need a new desk.

Show Image

PS: Is that mousepad the one that's made of glass?
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 12:38:52 by unnatural »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #1257 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 12:48:13 »
yes the icemat is the one made of glass. I have one but I could never get used to it.

Offline fuah

« Reply #1258 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:17:59 »
POTATER!

Offline Jack

« Reply #1259 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 03:34:30 »
I need a new desk.

What are those headphones?

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #1260 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 04:55:54 »
Stax SR-Lambda (Normal bias), connected to a Stax SRM-T1 amp.

Very nice, and I prefer it to the later SR-202 (also a Lambda-series model), but if you have to ask about the price...

Offline Jack

« Reply #1261 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 05:09:16 »
Oh, geez. I'm in over my head here. I thought ATH-M50s were a major purchase (and I'm just looking for something of the same caliber, but without the part where pieces snap off of the earcups).

Offline stancato9

« Reply #1262 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 05:13:45 »
Just picked up an Ikea Galant desk off of Kijiji. Temporary set up so I can use my computer while I plan out the layout. Excuse the mess haha. Will post updated pics when it's all cleaned up!

Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #1263 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 06:08:17 »
Stax SR-Lambda (Normal bias), connected to a Stax SRM-T1 amp.

Very nice, and I prefer it to the later SR-202 (also a Lambda-series model), but if you have to ask about the price...

Really excellent headphones, I used to have a set of Stax Lambda signatures, I swapped a 486-66 for them, I guess that guy got the worse of that deal by todays value.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline stancato9

« Reply #1264 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 06:11:51 »
Changed my setup back to landscape after trying portrait which didn't turn out very well for gaming

(Attachment Link)

Good job lining the picture up. Sick setup. Im jealous  :-[
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #1265 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 06:29:35 »
Just picked up an Ikea Galant desk off of Kijiji. Temporary set up so I can use my computer while I plan out the layout. Excuse the mess haha. Will post updated pics when it's all cleaned up!

Show Image

Show Image

Very cool setup
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1266 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 10:43:52 »

I nearly smash my monitor
I've ocd especially on cables...
and seeing your current setup.... :D

anyway love the LED!
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #1267 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 10:46:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

Very nice.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1268 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 11:57:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MESS. COMPUTERS ATTRACT MESS NO MATTER WHERE THEY GO. I JUST STOPPED CARING ABOUT MESS IN MY COMPUTER LAB A COUPLE YEARS AGO AND I NEVER NOTICED IT AGAIN!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1269 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 13:00:42 »
My desk.  I'll post photos of my computers at some point.  I don't normally use such bright wallpapers, but I was getting reflections from the windows and other stuff while taking photos, so I swapped to light backgrounds.

Dual-bay external storage behind the Dell monitor on the right.  I've made the little shelf / riser for the 27" monitor because I wanted it to be higher up and also so I could store my drawing tablet underneath.  But one of my keyboards has since displaced the tablet ;)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1270 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 13:03:35 »
My desk.  I'll post photos of my computers at some point.  I don't normally use such bright wallpapers, but I was getting reflections from the windows and other stuff while taking photos, so I swapped to light backgrounds.

Show Image

Show Image

Dual-bay external storage behind the Dell monitor on the right.  I've made the little shelf / riser for the 27" monitor because I wanted it to be higher up and also so I could store my drawing tablet underneath.  But one of my keyboards has since displaced the tablet ;)

My favorite part is the nasa sticker!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1271 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 13:05:26 »
I have a bunch of random space-related stickers from conferences, and I thought I might put them over the plain front of my white Define R4 for a total geek-out look, but then I didn't...

Offline stancato9

« Reply #1272 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 15:10:35 »
Don't worry the cables drive me insane too  :p If I have time I'm going to clean it up today.

The LEDs behind the monitors are a 5M strip of 5050 RGB Led I picked up off eBayu for like $15. One of my best purchases. Worth every penny. It even comes with a wireless remote to change the colour or add effects like fade, flash and colour jump.

Anyone who is interested in getting an awesome LED setup should check these out. I picked up 10M myself.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5M-RGB-300-LEDs-SMD-5050-Flexible-Light-Strip-44-Keys-IR-Remote-Controller-New-/400383478271?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item5d38b709ff&_uhb=1

Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline stancato9

« Reply #1273 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 15:11:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MESS. COMPUTERS ATTRACT MESS NO MATTER WHERE THEY GO. I JUST STOPPED CARING ABOUT MESS IN MY COMPUTER LAB A COUPLE YEARS AGO AND I NEVER NOTICED IT AGAIN!

I WORRY ABOUT THE MESS  :p All the cables are touching my feet as we speak. Going to pick up one of these for cable management. Anyone using this?

IKEA SIGNUM - http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30200253/

Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1274 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 17:26:55 »
I use IKEA Dioder LED strips around my desk and in my computer (they have a color controller, it's pretty cool).  Inherited 2 sets from a friend and bought 1 myself, so I've got 3 in use around the house.  I'll take a picture with lights on at some point.

Offline vasouv

« Reply #1275 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 17:32:33 »
This is my desk. A bit crummy yes, I'm trying to sort things out a bit, maybe get a larger desk or just an extension to the left, don't know yet...

Offline stancato9

« Reply #1276 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 17:59:01 »
I use IKEA Dioder LED strips around my desk and in my computer (they have a color controller, it's pretty cool).  Inherited 2 sets from a friend and bought 1 myself, so I've got 3 in use around the house.  I'll take a picture with lights on at some point.

I have 2 sets of Ikea Dioders as well. They're nice but the Ebay ones come with a wireless remote as well as full customisability.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1277 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 18:14:07 »
I like the Dioder strips because you can connect them in series and in parallel, so they can really go anywhere on the same controller.  And the color range is nice enough, plus I like the mode where the shades gradually shift across the color spectrum.  Here's my desk with the lights on (currently don't have a strip on my right monitor, as I couldn't conceal it well enough (there's an entrance door right next to that monitor).  The controller is right on my desk, to the left of the monitors.  Good enough :)  Another set of dioder strips is in the Expedit case to the left where I have some small animals habitats made.

A sample of primary colors:

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #1278 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 18:19:34 »
I like the Dioder strips because you can connect them in series and in parallel, so they can really go anywhere on the same controller.  And the color range is nice enough, plus I like the mode where the shades gradually shift across the color spectrum.  Here's my desk with the lights on (currently don't have a strip on my right monitor, as I couldn't conceal it well enough (there's an entrance door right next to that monitor).  The controller is right on my desk, to the left of the monitors.  Good enough :)  Another set of dioder strips is in the Expedit case to the left where I have some small animals habitats made.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline stancato9

« Reply #1279 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 18:49:02 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks great! Ever think about putting the 2nd strip beside the other on the centre monitor? It adds quite a bit of brightness. If not, near the bottom looks good too. That way it lights up more of the desk as opposed to the wall.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1280 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 18:52:35 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks great! Ever think about putting the 2nd strip beside the other on the centre monitor? It adds quite a bit of brightness. If not, near the bottom looks good too. That way it lights up more of the desk as opposed to the wall.

I have 2 strips on that monitor already.  There are additional strips providing the glow at the top: they are actually sitting on a shelf (you can't see it because of the perspective, but there's a long and narrow shelf right over / behind the monitor).  I can't add anything to the right of that because there's an entrance door to the right, and the Dell monitor is tilted sideways, so you can see any bright LED strips when entering the room.  Which I don't like.  So I have them as concealed as possible and removed from that monitor.  I'll think of a way to add a strip to the right monitor without it being visible at some point.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #1281 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 18:56:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I have 2 strips on that monitor already.  There are additional strips providing the glow at the top: they are actually sitting on a shelf (you can't see it because of the perspective, but there's a long and narrow shelf right over / behind the monitor).  I can't add anything to the right of that because there's an entrance door to the right, and the Dell monitor is tilted sideways, so you can see any bright LED strips when entering the room.  Which I don't like.  So I have them as concealed as possible and removed from that monitor.  I'll think of a way to add a strip to the right monitor without it being visible at some point.

Yeah, looking directly at the LEDs is quite painful but they're so nice when you only see the glow. What colour do you leave yours on? I find that the colours tend to give me a headache and more often than I like I find myself switching them to white.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1282 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 19:01:40 »
I can never settle on a color, so I change them frequently depending on mood.  The color dial is within reach, so it's easy.  I like warm yellow-white.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1283 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 02:45:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I love the keyboard slot under the monitor!

Currently using one of the cyborg gaming light
http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/ambx.htm
software is HORRIBLE! doesnt even work with most current games
but
it works so well when watching movies

trailer:

it is quiet pricey but I think its worth it, can even set the color yourself when idle

Offline stancato9

« Reply #1284 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 04:42:43 »
Never heard of the cyborg :O I've always wanted some sort of ambilight. I've been looking into how to DIY with LED strips. How much did those lights cost jokrik?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1285 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 05:33:13 »
Cyborg looks interesting, but I would like to see an actual full list of games that are programmed with 'event driven lighting' because the games shown in the demo are all quite old. It reminds me of the Microsoft Illumiroom which I was lucky to see at Gamescom last year and was pretty impressed by.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #1286 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 05:53:10 »
Cyborg looks interesting, but I would like to see an actual full list of games that are programmed with 'event driven lighting' because the games shown in the demo are all quite old. It reminds me of the Microsoft Illumiroom which I was lucky to see at Gamescom last year and was pretty impressed by.

I doubt a lot of games support it. When I was looking at ambilighting, I noticed that only few games supported it and others you had to run in windowed mode.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1287 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 11:47:16 »
dont even think about running it on games...
hopeless software ive to use older version of software now

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #1288 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 10:26:39 »
Here's my current set up, which will very likely be changing in the coming months (lots planned!)

My case is so big, I can't really fit it in that first shot, so here's another just to show off the case

will be upgrading monitors and desk soon! and of course, waiting for my HHKB to arrive and replace the SS 7G
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Spartacus1923

« Reply #1289 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 10:38:16 »
why 900d ? imo the 350D or each other case would be suitable for your hardware.. the 900d is made for people using self built water cooling systems. it looks to heavy..nonetheless great build !  :thumb:

heres mine..waiting for my g2pro tkl with browns which probably will arrive on tuesday..also my H100i goes to RMA..look at its pink LED..the white one seems to be broken! fail  :-[

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 September 2013, 10:58:11 by Spartacus1923 »

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #1290 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 10:48:49 »
why 900d ? imo the 350D or each other case would be suitable for your hardware.. the 900d is made for people using self built water cooling systems. it looks to heavy

because I'll be putting more than one GTX Titan in there, and I will be watercooling in the future.

Also, I like huge cases. Was spoiled when I was 15, had a full size tower (back in 1998 these were huge and rare for the average 'consumer' here), so I've always took a shine to the larger cases.

the 900D works just fine on air, too. Have filled this one up with Noctua fans for nice silence!

edit: your pic isn't working! :(

I went for the H110 (dual 140mm) due to the extra space available in my case, still have the H100 around that it replaced. need to get rid of that actually... maybe at OggCamp this year
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 September 2013, 10:50:49 by oscillik »

Offline Spartacus1923

« Reply #1291 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 10:58:31 »
sry its working now

Offline uzoc

« Reply #1292 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 10:59:02 »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

What you see is a:
- HAF XB case sideways (top side is facing forward), with an AMD 8 processor CPU, 16GB RAM (play BF3 almost every weekend).
- 14" HP DM4T laptop (with IPearl case), 2.7GHz upgraded to 8GB and 500MB SSD drive.
- Microsoft Arc keyboard with large yellow keyboard stickers
- Arvo gaming keyboard (usually on the side, used for gaming only)
- Cheap chinese copy of the Logitech ... mouse.
- Logitech G5 (used for gaming only).
- And other crap...

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #1293 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 11:09:02 »
(Attachment Link)

What you see is a:
- HAF XB case sideways (top side is facing forward), with an AMD 8 processor CPU, 16GB RAM (play BF3 almost every weekend).
- 14" HP DM4T laptop (with IPearl case), 2.7GHz upgraded to 8GB and 500MB SSD drive.
- Microsoft Arc keyboard with large yellow keyboard stickers
- Arvo gaming keyboard (usually on the side, used for gaming only)
- Cheap chinese copy of the Logitech ... mouse.
- Logitech G5 (used for gaming only).
- And other crap...

if your AMD is an 8 processor CPU, my Intel is a 12 processor CPU!

Offline vasouv

« Reply #1294 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 11:13:58 »
why 900d ? imo the 350D or each other case would be suitable for your hardware.. the 900d is made for people using self built water cooling systems. it looks to heavy..nonetheless great build !  :thumb:

heres mine..waiting for my g2pro tkl with browns which probably will arrive on tuesday..also my H100i goes to RMA..look at its pink LED..the white one seems to be broken! fail  :-[

Show Image

That's awesome, that's the kind of surface I'd like to use as a desk, spacious and large...

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #1295 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 12:19:04 »

Show Image

That is a really nice setup
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1296 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 13:36:51 »
Here's my current set up, which will very likely be changing in the coming months (lots planned!)

Show Image

My case is so big, I can't really fit it in that first shot, so here's another just to show off the case

Show Image

will be upgrading monitors and desk soon! and of course, waiting for my HHKB to arrive and replace the SS 7G

Can you post a picture of you using the monitor and mouse that are on the floor?  I'm quite intrigued as to how you use that setup.  :D

Offline SquawkVFR

« Reply #1297 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 15:59:46 »

I have a pretty small desk, and aside from dust build up, I try to keep it tidy.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #1298 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 16:06:23 »

Show Image

Show Image

Can you post a picture of you using the monitor and mouse that are on the floor?  I'm quite intrigued as to how you use that setup.  :D

that monitor, mouse (and hidden keyboard) are connected to my server - they're there for when VNC is being too laggy to use, and I get on the floor and mess with it that way ;)

Offline Spartacus1923

« Reply #1299 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 16:22:52 »

Show Image

That's awesome, that's the kind of surface I'd like to use as a desk, spacious and large...

Show Image

That is a really nice setup

thank you very much. this desk is 7 years old now but irreplaceable !

my hardware:
i5 4670k
asus gene 6 z87
asus dc2 770gtx
8gb corsair dominator platinum 2133
asus phoebus
corsair ax760i
corsair h100i
corsair 350d
samsung 840pro 256gb

peripherals:

cm storm quickfire red (will be replaced with tkl g2pro browns)
razer death adder 2013 with white led mod
razer destructor 2 mousepad
razer mousebungee
samsung sa350d 27"
edifier s550d v2 5.1
superlux 681