Author Topic: Car stimulus - 50% off all American made cars!  (Read 4353 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Car stimulus - 50% off all American made cars!
« on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 23:42:22 »
I feel like I have dejavu writing this, but idk.

To help out American auto manufacturers who now have a glut of unsold and unwanted vehicles no one can afford or wants right now, why can't the government work out a deal to reimburse the dealers who would sell off their current stock to consumers at 50% below MSRP? Basically the idea is a nationwide 50% off American-made vehicles and the dealers would get reimbursed. The manufacturers could cut a deal to get their money back, the dealers would move inventory, and the people would spend on big ticket items to stimulate the economy.

Someone tell me why this wouldn't work.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Car stimulus - 50% off all American made cars!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 00:16:10 »

To help out American auto manufacturers who now have a glut of unsold and unwanted vehicles no one can afford or wants right now, why can't the government work out a deal to reimburse the dealers who would sell off their current stock to consumers at 50% below MSRP? Basically the idea is a nationwide 50% off American-made vehicles and the dealers would get reimbursed. The manufacturers could cut a deal to get their money back, the dealers would move inventory, and the people would spend on big ticket items to stimulate the economy.

who would buy a car?  People are out of jobs and those with jobs are most likely about to get long-term pay cuts. Also, who is driving?  We're only supposed to be driving for basic needs, right?  I mean, I have yet to put gas in my car after 6 weeks.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 00:22:59 »

who would buy a car?  People are out of jobs and those with jobs are most likely about to get long-term pay cuts. Also, who is driving?  We're only supposed to be driving for basic needs, right?  I mean, I have yet to put gas in my car after 6 weeks.

That's the thing, not everyone would utilize this deal. But it would move enough units to at least keep dealers and manufacturers afloat for the foreseeable future. Furthermore the way this deal would be structured the government would only reimburse for vehicles that are actually sold, so it would only benefit the people it is meant to benefit.

Personally I wouldn't even be able to take advantage of it, as amazing a deal is at 50% off all new American made cars, but I'm sure there's a ton of people who would. Hell, they could even extend an edited version of the bill Globally allowing for people outside of the US to get some form of steep discount.

I honestly don't see any downside, but I'm no economist either.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:14:16 »
Because fewer cars being sold is a good thing?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:24:37 »
Other than Costco, where do peeps even go on the outside.

Ind00rs ftw !

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:52:11 »
There has been talk of another cash for clunkers program, but with our gov. operating like it is, I wouldn't expect it until after new years.
Like last time it would be a rebate of up to $5k towards a newer more fuel efficient vehicle.

Keep in mind that the low end used car market will be DECIMATED for several years after so if you need a cheap car, you better buy before the program is announced. As soon as it starts to look like it will pass opportunists will buy everything they can.

Sadly it destroys a lot of collector cars as well, last time someone brought a restorable 67' Camaro to be crushed. While it was saved at the last minute (literally bought while waiting in line), many more were not. This time it will be classic BMWs, RX7s, Supras, Miatas, Saabs, Jeeps, Subarus... And while they can part out the car (they could not sell it as a whole), the engine was permanently destroyed and it was illegal to sell used engine parts from those cars.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:53:51 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 09:40:09 »
sucks for American car manufacturers imo.  Only US vehicle I have is a '01 Grand Cherokee and the only reason I bought that was it had 4wd and the 4.0L motor - also is my daily driver/project.  Also I have my '02 4Runner which I will never part with since I use it for trail days and beach use (has spent more time on trails, dirt roads, and 4wd mandatory beaches than paved roads).
So far there isn't a vehicle I would consider from an Amercan auto company that hasn't been phased out already (Focus RS), also any of the diesel options are over-priced as it is and in few vehicles.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 13:16:48 »
Wha Bout ELECTRIC Skooter stimulus.. 
50% off all electric Skoots.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 15:34:07 »

Electric still draws power from somewhere. Moving closer to work is much more efficient. Besides, cycling is good for your physical condition and gives you great glutes!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 22:12:32 »
There has been talk of another cash for clunkers program, but with our gov. operating like it is, I wouldn't expect it until after new years.
Like last time it would be a rebate of up to $5k towards a newer more fuel efficient vehicle.

Keep in mind that the low end used car market will be DECIMATED for several years after so if you need a cheap car, you better buy before the program is announced. As soon as it starts to look like it will pass opportunists will buy everything they can.

Sadly it destroys a lot of collector cars as well, last time someone brought a restorable 67' Camaro to be crushed. While it was saved at the last minute (literally bought while waiting in line), many more were not. This time it will be classic BMWs, RX7s, Supras, Miatas, Saabs, Jeeps, Subarus... And while they can part out the car (they could not sell it as a whole), the engine was permanently destroyed and it was illegal to sell used engine parts from those cars.

I'm glad you brought up that last part about ruining the used car market. Wisconsin has a hard enough time keeping good used cars on the road as it is. The salt from our winters can destroy the frames pretty fast. I was lucky to get the Saturn I still drive before any of that nonsense ever happened. You couldn't find used cars around here that weren't trash and/or too much to justify instead of just buying/leasing a new car for years afterwards.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 22:21:26 »

Electric still draws power from somewhere. Moving closer to work is much more efficient. Besides, cycling is good for your physical condition and gives you great glutes!

Tp4 agrees Chyros,  But on the subject of saving the world, 100% Plant based is the only solution.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 22:34:04 »
Lime scooters are a plague if you're a ped in a gig city. Ugly things dotting the landscape, posing a danger to people on the sidewalk.
I'm a total hypocrite because I use them all the time, but when I do I feel like an *******. So I feel like an ******* quite often.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 23:17:13 »
Lime scooters are a plague if you're a ped in a gig city. Ugly things dotting the landscape, posing a danger to people on the sidewalk.
I'm a total hypocrite because I use them all the time, but when I do I feel like an *******. So I feel like an ******* quite often.

are they fast n' Fun ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 00:31:06 »

are they fast n' Fun ?

I did learn something cool. Their top speed is controlled by a GPS system that increases the scoots speed the further away you get from busy areas. They can get scary fast if you take one into a residential area.

Offline iri

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 03:26:58 »
American cars, ewwww
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 04:42:45 »
American cars, ewwww

Corvette, F-series pickups, Ford GT,  Tesla... just what's currently being manufactured.

just an ignorant blanket statement

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 05:43:04 »
American cars, ewwww

Corvette, F-series pickups
You probably could not have picked worse examples there than that tbh xD .

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 19:56:18 »

are they fast n' Fun ?

I hate those scooters, we have them and a couple other companies here in Atlanta.  I can suggest the South Park episode about them though  :thumb:

Also my statement about American cars/vehicles does not include Tesla and other electric vehicles here stateside - I put them in their own class.  Mainly my statement and thoughts are towards mass produced vehicles by the original "Big 3".
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 19:58:45 by Darthbaggins »

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 20:47:55 »

are they fast n' Fun ?

I hate those scooters, we have them and a couple other companies here in Atlanta.  I can suggest the South Park episode about them though  :thumb:

Also my statement about American cars/vehicles does not include Tesla and other electric vehicles here stateside - I put them in their own class.  Mainly my statement and thoughts are towards mass produced vehicles by the original "Big 3".

I have never even heard of them. My city of 30,000 will probably never have such things.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 22:59:42 »
American cars, ewwww

Hold up...
It's important to remember pricing differences when making these comparisons.
EU gets burned (badly) on US cars just as the US gets burned on EU cars.

A Corvette is ridiculously expensive over there whereas here it's a pretty good value for the money.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 23:31:50 »
American cars, ewwww

Hold up...

A Corvette is ridiculously expensive over there whereas here it's a pretty good value for the money.

And still more reliable than anything the British French or Italians make.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 23:36:20 »
In my area, people are buying cars and houses like crazy.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 06:13:05 »

It wouldn't work cuz in comparison to their Japanese counterparts, most American cars are of inferior build quality, resulting in a higher cost of ownership due to the need for mechanical repairs that are significantly less common in Japanese cars.

Example, my father has a 2007 Toyota Camry with over 250,000 miles on it. All he has ever had to do mechanically to that car is maintenance; brakes, rotors, tires, wipers, oil changes, maybe a few battery replacements. He has done nothing else to it in the 13+ years he's owned it, and it's still a solid car.

In comparison, I owned a 2005 Chevy Cavalier for a few years. I had a multitude of problems with the components of the front suspension, to the point where if I had kept driving the vehicle without getting it repaired, one of the front wheels could have essentially fallen off of the vehicle mid-commute.

I might be generalizing a bit and have a bit of a biased opinion due to my experience and observations of American made vehicles, but from what I have had personal experience with indicates that if you want a consistent, reliable car, do NOT buy American.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 11:10:54 »

It wouldn't work cuz in comparison to their Japanese counterparts, most American cars are of inferior build quality, resulting in a higher cost of ownership due to the need for mechanical repairs that are significantly less common in Japanese cars.

Example, my father has a 2007 Toyota Camry with over 250,000 miles on it. All he has ever had to do mechanically to that car is maintenance; brakes, rotors, tires, wipers, oil changes, maybe a few battery replacements. He has done nothing else to it in the 13+ years he's owned it, and it's still a solid car.

In comparison, I owned a 2005 Chevy Cavalier for a few years. I had a multitude of problems with the components of the front suspension, to the point where if I had kept driving the vehicle without getting it repaired, one of the front wheels could have essentially fallen off of the vehicle mid-commute.

I might be generalizing a bit and have a bit of a biased opinion due to my experience and observations of American made vehicles, but from what I have had personal experience with indicates that if you want a consistent, reliable car, do NOT buy American.

You would have been wrong, if GM were still allowing Saturn to do their own thing, like they did throughout the 90s and early 2000s. They're an interesting case, if you look into them. GM basically set them up and let them have free reign, whereas other divisions had to mostly use GM's pool of parts. Saturn set about studying what made Japanese vehicles so reliable, and made all of their vehicles from the ground up in-house. They were cheap and simple cars, literally all built on the same chassis and powertrain, just with different bodies and basically a choice between single or dual overhead cams. Great fuel economy, and even the parts are cheap. If you're in the U.S. take a look around a few days, you'll still see Saturns from the mid 90s driving around. If you don't live in a place where rust from road salt literally eats the frames of cars before their time, I imagine you'll see them even more commonly than I do. I have a 2001 SC2 myself.

GM, in their infinite wisdom, began micromanaging Saturn like they usually do because of a sales slump partly due to the fact that Saturn had basically made the same cars for the past 12 years with minor cosmetic/iterative updates. Parts commonality went up, quality/reliability went down. Ironically, Saturn, of all branches, was given the axe in their restructuring plan along with Pontiac ... as a result of their poor management overall, when Saturn's model was what could have saved GM without any bankruptcy to begin with.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 00:05:54 »
my father has a 2007 Toyota Camry with over 250,000 miles on it.

I owned a 2005 Chevy Cavalier for a few years.
Point on contention here.

Have you actually ever gone and looked at how much a Camry costs?
It may look like nothing special but it is not a cheap car, you could probably buy 3 Cavaliers for the price of that Camry.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 10:09:37 »
my father has a 2007 Toyota Camry with over 250,000 miles on it.

I owned a 2005 Chevy Cavalier for a few years.
Point on contention here.

Have you actually ever gone and looked at how much a Camry costs?
It may look like nothing special but it is not a cheap car, you could probably buy 3 Cavaliers for the price of that Camry.

Good point. I still see 1990s Cavaliers driving around too, though they're always beaters (and maybe had higher production numbers than some more expensive cars). I hear the engines basically last forever, even if the rest may not. I still see 1990s Luminas around as well, one of which I used to have. The engine was ticking at 170 thousand miles, but it was reliable. Only got rid of it because the frame was rusting through.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 10:10:27 »
American cars, ewwww

Hold up...

I'd say cost and reliability aren't the point of contention in the case of cars like that :p . It's more that one is a supremely vulgar and the other is a farmer's haywagon, and both are for people with absolutely no penis at all :p .

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 10:33:59 »
American cars, ewwww

Hold up...

I'd say cost and reliability aren't the point of contention in the case of cars like that :p . It's more that one is a supremely vulgar and the other is a farmer's haywagon, and both are for people with absolutely no penis at all :p .

I'll admit, I love the looks and noise of American muscles, and Harley Davidsons, etc. Nothing to necessarily do with anything other than their being (subjectively) really cool, even if they're completely impractical. I would have thought that would be a common thread for clicky guys, in terms of noise, but maybe not?