Author Topic: Problem after assembling my PC parts  (Read 5551 times)

Offline sohaieb

Problem after assembling my PC parts
« on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 14:44:48 »
Hello everyone,

I have an Asus Desktop G11CD-K PC (the K is for Kabylake version) wich i disassembled to clean all its parts (including Graphic card fan, its Processor, CPU fan and replacing its thermal paste, and also its front components).

After cleaning, I assembled it correctly, but to be honest i did not think that i used all the right screws, but i chose it by its placeholder form and place.

When i turned on my PC, i found that CPU-fan, Graphic-Fan, PSU and HDD worked well, but all other parts did not work, like back-fan, all USB peripherics etc..

I tried all possibilities:
1 - disassembling and re-assembling again, changing RAM to different slots, removing some parts step by step to see if something can make a change, make my motherboard out of the case and turn it on to see if there is a problem with case-contact or anything else. but nothing was working for me.
2 - I reset my CMOS too, but the issue still existing.
3 - finally, i plugged-in my usb mouse and/or my usb keyboard, i see that some diodes of these two components lights for a while (a fraction of seconds) then it turned off again so that i understand there is a contact but i don't know what is the problem again.
4 - After these tests, i used my multimeter to see if current values are right, and yes my PSU worked well with the right voltage values in all its pins (motherboard pins, cpu pins and gpu pins).
I don't know what happen because i'm really sure that i did not do something wrong or risky, and i did never use my force to disassemble or assemble components.

A little things to mention:
  I remember that i cleaned my CPU with an electronic liquid (see picture below ), but at this point i did not turn-on my PC directly, i just waited for several minutes (approximately 40 minutes), also i read carefully its notices but they mentioned that i can use it on motherboards and all electronic cards.
Can this be a cause of this kind of problems? if it is, so could that damage my motherboard ? if yes, how graphic card fan works then?
Please help me.

thanks

Electronic Liquid: (See attachements)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Re: Problem after assembling my PC parts
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 18:12:02 »
I would say double check all your cable connections from the PSU to the board and other components.  Also did you take your cpu out of the socket to clean the CPU?

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 20:48:09 »
Check cables
Check the 4 or 8pin CPU power (top left of mobo usually).

If you have a split 24pin connector (20 + 4) it's very common for the 20 to ho in first then the 4pin over it, this is wrong and can cause it to not go in the entire way, make sure the 4pin goes under the 20 pin. The little fingers that hold the 4pin down will stop it from going in the whole way.

If you have a modular PSU check those connections as well.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 21:24:44 »
By the way, all you really should need is air to clean out the dust.
Electronics cleaner can break down and strip away lube in bearings so you need to avoid fans and hard drives.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 21:34:36 »
Electronics cleaner can break down and strip away lube in bearings so you need to avoid fans and hard drives.

This depends on how greasy his cooking is. and how close to the kitchen the PC is.

Alot of peeps need degreasers.

Offline Rika

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 00:16:46 »
If you can find the motherboard manual make sure you've done the front headers correctly if front I/O isn't working, as for anything else, pretty much all here for the most part (pray it wasn't you bending pins)

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Offline sohaieb

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 09:17:00 »
did you plug power back into the gpu
Hello,
do you mean after or before re-assembling ?

Check cables
Check the 4 or 8pin CPU power (top left of mobo usually).

If you have a split 24pin connector (20 + 4) it's very common for the 20 to ho in first then the 4pin over it, this is wrong and can cause it to not go in the entire way, make sure the 4pin goes under the 20 pin. The little fingers that hold the 4pin down will stop it from going in the whole way.

If you have a modular PSU check those connections as well.

• All cables are plugged-in in the right way, i even tested it with my multimeter to check its voltages from the PSU.
  • My CPU power pins are only 4 ,and i plugged it in the right way (follown the stick position on the host).
  • My Mobo is exactly 24 pins not 20 + 4 and i plugged it also following its stick position.
  • My PSU is non-modular, i checked its connections for many times even with my multimeter

I would say double check all your cable connections from the PSU to the board and other components.  Also did you take your cpu out of the socket to clean the CPU?

Hello,
yes i checked connections several times..
Exactly, i took out my cpu from its socket before cleaning..

This depends on how greasy his cooking is. and how close to the kitchen the PC is.

Alot of peeps need degreasers.

Hello,
yes exactly that,

Hello,
i want to mention that my main problem was that in my country there is no shop selling Air compressed, so i was obligated to order one from France, but they forbidden my order by saing "it's an flammable material its not authorized to be shipped on any shipping transport" .. so that my only solution was using a cleaning liquid like the one i mentioned..

If you can find the motherboard manual make sure you've done the front headers correctly if front I/O isn't working, as for anything else, pretty much all here for the most part (pray it wasn't you bending pins)

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Hello,
yes I checked the manual, and i was sure that all parts are connected properly .. I will check my cpu pins and i will write a feedback about any changes here .

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 00:04:19 »
Connect a speaker (to the header near front IO pins, not the port) and listen for beep codes.

If it still will not boot with nothing but the bare essentials (and you redid everything), my next step would be remove it from the case and see if that helps, maybe something is grounding out that shouldn't.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 09:23:12 »
Since you took the Cpu out to clean it, I'm wondering if there is a chance of a bent LGA pin.  Also might have to clear the bios/reset it due to this. 
And if you dont have a debug led on the board that speaker that was mentioned will help alot.

Offline yui

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 04:31:32 »
Since you took the Cpu out to clean it, I'm wondering if there is a chance of a bent LGA pin.  Also might have to clear the bios/reset it due to this. 
And if you dont have a debug led on the board that speaker that was mentioned will help alot.
yeah the only things that i could see reading so far would be one or a few bent pins or that you fried something with static, but the best way would be a debug speaker, or card, although some modern prebuilt will not output any error codes without manipulations though, so maybe search around online for a manual
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline sohaieb

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 14:29:41 »
Hello,
Thanks for your reply,
I checked the LGA socket pins, there is no bent pins there.
I cleared the bios by removing cmos battery for 15 minutes, but this did not make any changes.
I checked my pannel system for speakers, i think it's integrated with the 20-8 panel pins system, but i'm not sure, because i checked all the net about it and i could not find any ressources or manual for it execept this one.

yeah the only things that i could see reading so far would be one or a few bent pins or that you fried something with static, but the best way would be a debug speaker, or card, although some modern prebuilt will not output any error codes without manipulations though, so maybe search around online for a manual

Hello, thanks for your reply,
I checked my pannel system for speakers in the MOBO, but i think it's integrated with the 20-8 panel pins system, but i'm not sure, because i checked all the net about it and i could not find any ressources or manual for it execept this one.

Offline sohaieb

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 14:31:15 »
Connect a speaker (to the header near front IO pins, not the port) and listen for beep codes.

If it still will not boot with nothing but the bare essentials (and you redid everything), my next step would be remove it from the case and see if that helps, maybe something is grounding out that shouldn't.
Hello,
Thank you for your reply, but
I checked my pannel system for speakers, i think it's integrated with the 20-8 panel pins system, but i'm not sure, because i checked all the net about it and i could not find any ressources or manual for it execept this one.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 15:59:16 »
From the link:

Code: [Select]
7. Speaker connector (4-pin SPEAKER)
If you don't have one of them it is part of the 20-8, the other side from the power and reset switches.  You definitely have a power switch so follow the wire and there it is.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sohaieb

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 13:41:31 »
From the link:

Code: [Select]
7. Speaker connector (4-pin SPEAKER)
If you don't have one of them it is part of the 20-8, the other side from the power and reset switches.  You definitely have a power switch so follow the wire and there it is.

Hello sir,
I bought a speaker and i checked my MOBO with this speaker, there is no bip code :/ ..
is there another suggestion to check ? or this means that my mobo is dead ?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 00:20:35 »
Did you try with the speaker connected both ways?  I've never seen a board that's so dead it doesn't beep at all though of course it is possible.  Some are not very loud so if you have a loud fan spinning at full speed you might need to stop it with a finger before switching it on (not after, a loud fan will cut your finger!)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sohaieb

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 05:13:58 »
Did you try with the speaker connected both ways?  I've never seen a board that's so dead it doesn't beep at all though of course it is possible.  Some are not very loud so if you have a loud fan spinning at full speed you might need to stop it with a finger before switching it on (not after, a loud fan will cut your finger!)
Hello,
yes i tried it in both ways.. but i want to know before why should i stop a fan with my finger ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 06:02:40 »
If there's no beep it's most likely the CPU is dead.

Take the board and cpu to a shop and ask them to test it. Shouldn't cost much and at least you will know what is bad.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 06:37:38 »
I want to know before why should i stop a fan with my finger ?
This is only needed if your fan is very loud - mine is 180mm and at full speed while failing to boot a dead CPU I couldn't hear the beep codes over it
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sohaieb

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 14:19:43 »
If there's no beep it's most likely the CPU is dead.

Take the board and cpu to a shop and ask them to test it. Shouldn't cost much and at least you will know what is bad.
Hello sir, thanks for your answer, I will try to bring it ..
but I have a question: if we suppose that my CPU is dead, can this also stop the back-case fan to work too  ?

I want to know before why should i stop a fan with my finger ?
This is only needed if your fan is very loud - mine is 180mm and at full speed while failing to boot a dead CPU I couldn't hear the beep codes over it
Show Image

oh i understand.. but the fan is not very loud so even low beeps can be heard easily

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:18:19 »
make sure you've got the beeper connected. Some people don't even have one hooked up, and they're listening for beep code.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 20:54:36 »
Hello sir, thanks for your answer, I will try to bring it ..
but I have a question: if we suppose that my CPU is dead, can this also stop the back-case fan to work too  ?

Typically no.

However,
The problem is you're trying to lump all your problems together, but you already said having everything unplugged changed nothing. It's possible the fan and mother board are completely unrelated and trying to lump them as one issue confuses the issue making it impossible to solve. Unplug and ignore the fan until you get the rest working then worry about the fan.

If I were you I'd pull the motherboard out. Set it up on a desk with cpu/cooler and power. No ram no GPU, this will generate a beep code, usually 3 beeps on repeat. If that beeps then you can put ram back in and see if that works then connect the GPU, then later a drive, then slowly reassemble the system until it stops.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 09:41:28 »
Start with the boot issues and then the rest will fall in-line - Take care of one problem at a time, you'll cause more issues if you try to solve them all at once.

Offline sohaieb

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 10:42:41 »
Hello everybody again,

I’m really sorry for my late answer, because i was waiting for some bought components (my new case , new MSI motherboard and different tools for PC Building).

I’m really happy to say that i finally solved my problem by re-building all my pc using the old parts (except the prebuilt case and the old ASUS mobo),

now my PC works well with my new build, so that i confirm that the problem was only because of the fried mobo.

Fortunately, none of my other components was damaged :D , so I used it in my new case :))

This is my first PC diagnostic & building experience, so i’m really happy to learn something new and I thank you all for your help because i learnt a lot from all of you :)